Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Alaska: Glacier Trek, Whales or Dog Sledding?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a quandary as to what to do whilst in Alaska for our shore excursions - options are:

Juneau: Whale Watching or NorthStar Heli Glacier Trek

Skagway: Dog Sledding & Glacier Viewing (Temsco) - this may not give us time to do White Pass Railway though

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords floatplane

We will be going Whale Watching in Victoria but thought Alaska may give us a different perspective - and this trip is probably the only chance my mum will get to see whales. But have heard so many rave reviews re: Heli Glacier Trek in Juneau as well?

Would the dog sledding/glacier viewing in Skagway make up partly for not doing Heli Glacier in Juneau?

Thanks for any help.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 03:49 AM

In Juneau, Coastal Helicopters will coordinate with Orca Enterprises so that you can do both the whale watching with Captain Larry and the glacier landing/dog sledding (assuming your ship is not leaving too early) and that way you can still do the White Pass Rail in Skagway. That's what we did, and it worked beautifully.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately the day we are there Coastal helicoptors can't do this for some reason - already checked with Capt Larry.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:51 AM

If that is the case, I would skip the whale watching in Juneau and just do the glacier landing/dog sledding from there so you can do the train in Skagway--especially, since you are planning whale watching in Victoria. Are you going to Sitka? We actually so as many whales there as we did in Juneau during a Sea Otter Wildlife Quest.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for your replies. Think I've narrowed it down more now:

Juneau - Capt Larry is checking into whether can do Whale watching combined with Coastal Heli Glacier landing - not for certain as yet but if OK will go with that if not just do whale watching. Although still torn regards Northstar Glacier Trek? Have limited time in port 2:30-10:30pm

Skagway (7am-9pm) - dog sledding/glacier landing AM (10-12pm). White Pass Rwaily PM (4:30pm). In between we'll do the National Rangers free walkabout tour and have lunch!

If we end up doing Coastal heli Glacier walk is it overkill to do glacier landing in Skagway for dog sledding - or would Skagway/Juneau offer different glacier experiences?

Or is it best to hedge my bets anyway due to weather and not coming back this way for a long time!

At least Ketchikan's easy - Misty Fjord seaplane - although still debating about Bear Trip?!

Thanks
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM

We are stopping at the same places you are in Sept. I would love to do the bear trip, but the fjords sounds wonderful too. Any suggestions from those that have traveled there? How did you get the contact for captain Larry? Thanks. Marilee
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi Marilee

Capt Larry works for Orca Enterprises...the link is http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

Viki
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM

Thanks. Marilee
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Justina,

We are going on a similar cruise this July. What did you finally end up doing and what would you recommend?
Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 06:04 AM

Have loved Capt. Larry's whale watching and the dog sledding. I thought the White Pass railroad had beautiful scenery but after awhile got a bit monotonous and boring. Coming back half the train was asleep.