Alaska cruise - Celebrity

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering a "Golden Agers" cruise to Alaska with my mom. It's an 8 day cruise (May 17-25) with Celebrity Cruise Lines. The cruise ports are: Seattle - Juneau - Skagway - Hubbard Glacier - Ketchikan - Prince Rupert, B.C. - Seattle. I've done a little research and this was not the cruise I had in mind (I hoped to travel further - Seward, etc). However, this is a cruise my mom feels comfortable with and that's important. Has anyone been on a cruise to this area? How was it? Can you recommend any excursions at these ports? Is the weather unbearable this early in the year? Thank you for any advice.

TamiLee

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 07:25 AM

My husband and I went to Alaska on a Celebrity cruise on the Mercury in May 2005. It was great! In Juneau we went to the Mendenhall glacier, in Skagway we went on the White Pass Railroad trip, and in Ketchikan we walked around the town. The day we went to the Hubbard Glacier was clear and cold. We saw quite a bit of calving of the glacier. It's a nice way to see a little of Alaska. The weather was surprisingly warm and no rain!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Somo,

Thanks for your helpful reply!
TamiLee
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:38 AM

we just did a 12 day on Celebrity Infinity from SF to Alaska...it was marvelous and i would encourage anyone to try it. Love the service, food, entertainment etc. We were on in May...weather in Alaska was in the 70's..with only rain one day. Bon Voyage
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 08:31 AM

Weather in Alaska is very changeable. Friends went in late May and were very, very cold - especially when cruising the glaciers. The early June cruise had snow on deck. We went in late June, and had terrific, comfortably warm days - the day we were at glacier bay, people were swimming in the outside pool. The key is to take plenty of layers and add and remove layers as necessary.

In Juneau we did whale watching with Capt Larry and then took the Blue Bird bus to Mendenhall Glacier. In Skagway we did the White Pass Railroad, in Ketchikan we walked up to the salmon hatchery and nearby totem pole museum, and that afternoon did a catamaran/floatplane trip to Misty Fjords.