Search

alaska cruise

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:20 PM
shirl

alaska cruise

Has anyone cruised the Inside Passage, the very early part of May? Also are the animals out at that time? Thinking of using World Explorer or Veedam on H.A.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 03:01 AM
Marg

We sailed the Inside Passage May 6-13 this year on NCL. We saw seagulls encircling the ship, seals basking on ice floes and one brown bear, just out of hibernation, who swam across the bow of the ship. <BR><BR>If you wish to read our review, just send and e-mail and I will flip it to you.<BR><BR>Happy Sailing<BR><BR>Marg<BR>

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
patty

Can you please send me your review of the cruise in may? Thank you

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Shirl,<BR><BR>Although the Inside Passage cruise is less money, I believe you are wasting your money unless you book World Explorer. Best to spend more money and sail either Northbound or Southbound where you will get the benefit of seeing the better part of Alaska. You will miss quite a bit of Alaska doing a round-trip.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Patty

We did an inside passage last May, saw 3 grizzly bears near the Glacier Bay area. The Captain parked the ship as close as possible so we could watch. Don't forget the binoculars!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:03 AM
Paul Therault

Oh yah, you'll see bears on shore off a cruise ship allright. "See those moving black dots, those are bears." <BR><BR>If you want to see bears go to a bear camp or to the zoo.<BR><BR>And if you happen to see a bear in Northern Alaska while sightseeing, never mind the binoculars, just have fast feet.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 12:19 PM
NIkki

Hi All<BR><BR>I am a constant reader of this board and very rarely post, but seeing Paul's answer to Shirl really got to me. Doing an iside passage trip a waste of money -- oh come on!! Doing any type of Alaska cruise is wonderfu!! Must you put a damper on someone's vacation. Answer the questions, Paul, we do not need your opinions on what is "wasting our money".

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Pete

We had a wonderful trip on the inside passage. The weather was 50/50 but then again Ketchikan prides themselves of being the rain capital of the world. We preferred the inside passage to any carribean cruise we have ever sailed and will go back to Alaska next year. No matter where you are you will always see land. Be sure to have a verandah it is worth every penny. Veendam is a wonderful ship, but then again we are Holland America fans. We sailed the Zaandam.<BR><BR>Regards, Pete

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 10:35 PM
Paul Therault

Nikki,<BR><BR>I am not trying to push my opinion on anyone. I have been to Alaska five times. <BR><BR>I have a question for you. Why would you spent money going up and then returning the same way? Do you not see the same thing twice?<BR><BR>How about what Pete stated. "Rain"<BR>You bet, it does rain quite often in southern Alaska.<BR><BR>I am not saying you will not see Alaska sailing the Inside Passage, I am saying you will see much more of Alaska and the better part, if you go north.<BR><BR>Please see some of my other posts.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Nikki

Paul,<BR><BR>To answer your question -- Seeing the same thing twice when it is something as breathtaking as Alaska is not in my opinion a waste of time. People often go to the same place more than once because they find the scenery/hotel/etc. worth it. I'm not sure I would ever get tired of seeing the beauty of Alaska. Don't people watch for a gorgeous sunset more than once?<BR><BR>Basking in beauty no matter how you do it is not "a waste of money".

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Adela

Hi Shirl!<BR>We just went to an Alaska cruise, inside Passage (first week of september) and enjoyed it so much both ways!! it was fantastic! We used our balcony all the time (we recomend a cabin with one!) The view all the time was great, even when it was only the wonderful sea! luckly we had a great weather!every thing was perfect, the magnificent view, the pretty towns we visit, the whales, the comforts of the ship (good food and entertaiment) and on top of all that... one night we saw the most beautiful Aurora Boreal!! which it was there for hours and moving and changing colors all the time!<BR>I hope you too have a great cruise!

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 11:28 AM
xxx

Shirl: If you are looking for a big cruise ship experience(ie: formal night, on board activities etc) and Alaska by all means take the Veendam. I did this trip 2 years ago on that ship and it was one of the best vacations I've ever had. My only regret was that I couldn't afford a balcony cabin.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 05:24 PM
Kathy

Hi - One of the best trips I've ever taken was an Alaskan Inside Passage tour on the Dawn Princess the first week of June in 1999!<BR>I'm still raving aboutit. It's like being in a luxurious hotel with all your needs met while passing through pristine wilderness (Glacier Bay)<BR>I was blown away

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:14 PM
Paul Therault

You're reading me wrong folks. I am not saying that the Inside Passage round-trip cruise is not beautiful. I am just attempting to tell you that you are going up and going back. This is a waste of money since you have missed 1/2 of Alaska and I might add, the best part.<BR><BR>Let me quote from a Princess ad:<BR><BR>"On a Inside Passage only cruise, you will see the Inside Passage and only 5 of the top 10 Alaska cruising attractions. But on a Princess Gulf of Alaska Cruise you will see them all"<BR><BR>"On a Gulf of Alaska cruise you will see the Inside Passage then Prince William Sound, College Fjord with its 16 glaciers, Seward, Kenai Peninsula and Anchorage. All in the same amount of time and for about the same amount of money!"<BR><BR>Need I say more.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 09:33 PM
Paul Therault

For Shirl who is looking for animals, I will name some of the major species you will see in May.<BR><BR>Humback whale - average<BR>Stellar sea lion - average<BR>Harbor seal - peak<BR>Sea otter - peak<BR>Dall's porpoise - average<BR>Harbor porpoise - average<BR>Puffin - not around until very end of May<BR>Murre - peak<BR>Murrelt - average<BR>Commorant - peak<BR>Kittiwake - peak<BR>Storm petrel - peak<BR>Loon - average<BR>Scoter - peak<BR>Merganser - peak<BR>Great blue heron - average<BR>Kingfisher - average<BR>Bear - peak<BR>Deer - peak<BR>Land (river) otter - average<BR>Mountain goat - least likely<BR>Bald eagle - peak<BR>Stellar's Jay - average<BR>Raven - peak<BR>Varied thrush - average<BR>American dipper - average<BR>Rufous hummingbird - average<BR><BR>World Explorer will guarantee sightings of most all species but regular cruise ships will not. You be lucky to see any species at all.<BR>You may see killer whales swimming alongside the ship.<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:02 PM
shirl

Thanks for the input of our trip. But we are only doing the inside Passage one-way combined with the land tour, as I stated. Sounds like you all enjoyed whatever you did. Has anyone sailed on the Staadam? HAL.???

Old Nov 18th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Donnalynn Roberts

Just a quick thought regarding Inside Passage vs one-way northbound or south. My family of five are booked on the Princess Star Inside Passage (Seattle-Seattle) cruise next September. A major factor to consider is the cost of the airfare! One way flights NY-Vancouver and then Anchorage-NY would have made the cruise an impossibility. I will settle for half of Alaska over nothing at all!

Old Nov 19th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Cathy

What about Aug? on Celebrity, Infinity. Anyone been. We have been on the Infinity for the Southern Carb.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 12:08 AM
beverly

hi everyone!<BR>planning to go in august- what is the weather like? paul- if i just go one way, how do i arrange for flights to and from home? (salt lake) do i have to get 2 one- way tickets? have travelled extensively, but never a cruise, and never to alaska- this will be a honeymoon. thanks

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 08:47 AM
April

We were on the Infinity mid August, 2001. There was sun, there was rain. I never got to wear shorts -<BR>glad I took sweaters -<BR>wished I'd had gloves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -