Alaska - Celebrity vs Princess

Aug 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Alaska - Celebrity vs Princess

We are in the stages of planning an Alaska cruise for the family - Mom and Dad (70's), my husband and me, my brother and his wife and possibly two teenage sons, my sister and her husband. We are considering either Celebrity or Princess, with a pre- or post- cruise land package to Denali, et al.

We all have previously been on NCL in the Caribbean, and wanted to try a different line for Alaska.

Which would you choose, and why? Personally I would prefer a cruise with fewer small children on it. (I really don't want to get into a discussion yeah or nay about the children issue, it's simply my personal preference.)
Aug 21st, 2005, 10:03 AM
Ike

I just returned from a wonderful 7 day cruise from Vancouver to Whittier on Island Princess. The ship is two years old and in fantastic shape. There were not too many young children on board. Most were older married couples. There are numerous dining choices as well as plenty to do. I would take the southbound trip and spend a few days in Anchorage if I did it again and visit Denali. Vancouver is just a big city but you can have fun exploring Vancouver Island and Victoria before or after your cruise. The mountains around Anchorage are beautiful. This was a great trip. The rooms were very nice. Get a mini suite which has a nice balcony and room for 4 to sleep if need be also a full bath tub. The crew were very friendly and the service was excellent. It's my 2nd cruise and 1st was on Celebrity. Princess is tops now...........
Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Also when you book--try May or Sept. when many kids are back in school.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, May or September are not options, two of the group are educators, so we do have to go while school is out.
Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:29 AM

I know where you are coming from....I taught school for 30 years. Now, with retirement, I can take advantage of Oct./Nov lower prices and very few kids. Hang in there!!
Aug 22nd, 2005, 03:25 PM

I have done 5 cruises with Princess to Alaska and love the combination Glacier Bay and College Fiords - this is an awesome combination. Celebrity can not go to Glacier bay (they don't have permits). I also sailed once with RCCl to Alaska and wasn't as impressed.
Aug 31st, 2005, 07:53 AM

We took the Alaska cruise two years ago on Princess. We flew into Alsaka and took the four day land tour before boarding in Anchorage or nearby and cruised one way to Vancouver. The land trip was lots of the same thing over and over. Would not recommend doing that. Would also recommend only going one way from Alaska to Vancouver or Van to Alaska. No reason to see the same thing going and coming and you will spend more time in port if you cruise one way.

If I had it to do over, I would fly into Anchorage and stay there for a few days and see the countryside and then board in Seaward and cruise to Vancouver and stay there a few days, maybe go over to Vancouver Island and see Victoria and then fly back home.
Aug 31st, 2005, 08:34 AM

If you are considering a mini suite, then also look at Radisson's Mariner, which is an all-suite, all balcony ship that holds only 700. We took it last August, and it was terrific. Fantastic food, great service, and country club casual dress throughout the trip. We did our own pre-cruise package, including Denali and Talkeetna. It's easy to do in Alaska, and usually quite a bit cheaper than packages from the cruise lines. If you'd like more information, let me know.
Sep 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Sit down with your group and list your Alaska priorities. Be willing to split up on tours and don't be attached at the hip.

You need to do a LOT of homework on any land tour package and a 4 day add on is not a good option. Look at 7 since the shorter ones have way too much time in transit and most often the USLESS Natural History tour included at Denali Park. Definately superior is getting farther into the park for wildlife and scenery. Do your homework. the Shuttle buses are my only pick with Fish Creek my min. distance in to mile 63. The longest tour- Tundra Wilderness only goes to mile 53. The Park Road is 90 miles. Farther is definately better here.

Understand the distances and time necessary. Don't make the common mistake of not allowing enough time. It's easy and superior to go independent for planning what are your priorities.