Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page > Advice on Hotels & Transportation to Miami Pier

Advice on Hotels & Transportation to Miami Pier

Jan 21st, 2001, 02:16 AM
Irvin Redmond

Advice on Hotels & Transportation to Miami Pier

My wife and I will be having our first cruise, leaving from Miami Port on the Explorer Of The Seas on 10th Feb 2001.
We plan to stay in a hotel, close to the pier, the night before departure.
Could someone please advise on good/reasonable hotels in this area and also the best means of transport to the ship.
Our sailing is in the evening (6pm), how early should we arrive for boarding?

Does anyones have any information on the Explorer of the Seas?

Jan 21st, 2001, 03:41 PM
Kate

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Best western in Miami, near the airport a couple of years ago, and the place was a dump. I have stayed also at the Edison on South Beach, but that was still about a 1/2 hour 45 minutes from the pier. Where ever you do stay, make sure its a well known chain i.e. Marriott, Hyatt etc.
I usually get to the pier for boarding around noon for a 4:00 departure. It takes an hour or so to get checked in, and get on board.
Transportation to the pier, I would use a cab, but depending on what hotel you stay at check with them as they might have a van that will bring you to the pier.If you goto Hoteldiscounts.com
type in Miami, this will give you hotels in the area with descriptions etc.
Have a great time!

Jan 22nd, 2001, 01:13 AM
Irvin Redmond

Kate,

Thanks very much for the useful info.

Just one thing, can you tell me the name of the area local to the piers (4 &5) so that I can identify hotels in that area?

Jan 22nd, 2001, 05:28 AM
Marilyn

Irvin, There is a Best Western located very near the port that might be what you are looking for. The area would just be "Downtown/Port" area. The hotel mentioned is on Biscayne. You'll still need a cab but it's a very short ride. Nothing fancy, just a convenient place to stay over. Have a great cruise.

Jan 22nd, 2001, 11:45 AM
Elizabeth

I just made reservations at the Clarion 1/2 mile from the Port of Miami. Any comments?
It was much cheaper than the Marriott. We get in late and basically will just be sleeping there for the night.

Jan 27th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Anthony

After reading many posts here about cruising out of Miami, I don't understand why everyone insists on staying in downtown Miami just to be near the Port. There are limited hotels of nice quality in the area(Intercontinental and Hyatt probably the best choices) and besides Bayside Mall there's nothing to do downtown.
A much better alternative is to enjoy the atmosphere that Miami beach, (whether South Beach or further North)
has to offer: the shops, restaurants, and nightlife, by staying in Miami Beach.
There is a thing called TAXIS that can take you from Miami Beach to the cruise ship piers in about 20 -30 mins.......
Besides, even if you stay downtown,you CAN'T walk to the ship piers - you STILL need a cab to the ships.

Jul 10th, 2001, 12:25 PM
David

I'll be sailing from the Port of Miami in Sept, and will also be staying the night before. I have thought a lot about how to stay in a nice (yet inexpensive hotel) while keeping the transportation to the port the next day low. I decided to rent a car from Avis. Since Avis has a drop off location right on the port, I could get reasonably priced transportation from the airport the day I fly in, use the car that whole day, and get myself to the port the next day all for the price of one day's rental. This price beats the alternative of taking the airport express shuttle (from FLL to Miami - about $15pp) and then taking a cab the next day. I also have the added advantage of staying ANYWHERE in southerm Florida without a hefty cab fare the next day. Since I have not done this yet, I don't know how easy the drop off at Avis at the port will be (and if anyone can think of a reason why this might cause more trouble than its worth, please let me know).
One more thing I wanted to add. Do NOT stay at the Travelodge in Miami. I did this last time because they have a free shuttle from the airport (MIA), to Marketplace, and to the Port. But the hotel is the pits. I would rather pay for the transportation than get it free at the travelodge!

Jul 10th, 2001, 02:57 PM
Cathy

Miami is a difficult place to get nice, inexpensive lodging. If all you want to do is have a place to sleep the night of the cruise, then there are some nice hotels around the airport.
I always enjoy staying on Miami Beach before cruising. It is a great way to get into the cruise/vacation spirit. I do love to walk on the beach Sunday morning and watch the ships come in. Last year, we were lucky enough to stay at the Loew's Miami Beach hotel. The hotel is simply beautiful and you are within walking distance of Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive and the shops and restaurants. At the same time, it is far enough away from the party scene for you to get a good nights sleep!
This year the Loews was fully booked. Plus, because it is very popular now, the room rates have skyrocketed. My friends and I stayed at the Doubletree Surfcomber. It was ok - they did try to nickle and dime us - charged us a $7.00 beach resort fee for use of towels and cabanas and we didn't plan on using any!

I have never stayed at the Downtown locations - they are no cheaper than the South Beach hotels plus I have been told you don't want to walk around Downtown Miami after dark.

Cab is the best way to go and I have heard great things about the Explorer. Have a blast!

Search this Thread