Reload this Page >

A Greek cruise at last!

Search

A Greek cruise at last!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 08:33 AM
Lynda

A Greek cruise at last!

After many years I have finally convinced my husband to go on a cruise of the Greek Islands. These are his requests: A smaller ship, but comfortable. Informal as possible. <BR>We don't need to be entertained (as in gambling, floor shows, etc. but would LIKE to be EDUCATED (as in Greek history, etc.) Any suggestions? Cost is not our primary concern, since we really, really want to enjoy this first cruise. Thank you!

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Tammy

I believe the name of the cruise line I'm trying to think of is Classical Cruises. They have an 84-passenger ship that does the Greek islands with historians on board through out the cruise. <BR> <BR>Windstar cruises have ships that are casual and small (150 passengers?) with great itineraries in the islands. <BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Lynda

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll do some more research. So far I'm thinking that we may be choosing between the Stella Solaris and Renaissance 1. Anybody been on either of those two ships? (This is fun...)

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:38 AM
CB

Linda--Go to Frommers.com and do a search under their previous newsletters for Greece and Greek cruises. They had some interesting cruises for the Greek isles not too long ago that look great and were priced well.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Deena

My husband and I attended a corporate incentive award trip last Sept aboard Windstar's Windsurf. We stopped at various ports in Italy, Greece and Turkey. The ship was really nice, food good and staff friendly. Windstar provided only a printed blurb about each port on the daily newsletter. Each stop did include historical tours. But nobody on the ship did lectures during our cruise if that is what you looking for. <BR> <BR>My only compliant about the Winsurf was that our time in port was very short some days. <BR> <BR>Another couple that we have been on several trips who are well traveled, intelligent and possess discriminating taste commented later that they enjoyed a Greek Island cruise on the Radisson Diamond a couple years earlier more. They mentioned that the time spent in port was much longer with Radisson.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:43 PM
Tammy

My husband and I did the islands on the Radisson Diamond and loved it. It's the most stable ship of the major cruise lines. It is, however, a more formal ship. You can order the full dinner menu from your cabin if you don't want to attend the one formal night on a seven-night cruise. <BR> <BR>One of the main reasons I choose this ship is the amount of time it spends in port. This is very important information as many cruise line only say they arrive in the morning and leave in the evening. This could end up being only six hours. We had any ware from eight to fifteen hours in port. <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Tammy

oops! anywhere

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Lynda

Thank you all... I did look up Classical Cruises, and they MAY just fit the ticket for us! Then again, it's going to be really hard to choose -- but fun! <BR> <BR>I'll just have to do my research... <BR> <BR>Lynda