10-day Panama Canal cruise

Sep 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

10-day Panama Canal cruise

We are booked on the Coral Princess for a December cruise. Will love to have some information from someone who has been on this cruise. There are so many shore excursions! Are they worth it? Any essential ones? How much is enough of a Panama Canal excursion? I believe the ship goes to or through the firstlock. Please reply with your experiences. Thank you so much.
Sep 12th, 2005, 05:20 AM

If it goes thru the first lock it will also go out that way too. The excursions to learn more about the Canal will depart while you are in Gatun Lake, the ship will exit and pick you up when it docks at the Panama port.

Get up before dawn and see the Canal area come to life, stay at the bow and do not leave your post as it will fill fast.

Choose an excursion to match your interest (we chose none) just wanted to see it all from the ship (2x). Bear in mind that area is very hot so dress and bring water (even in Dec.)

We took the Crown Princess the first time and it was great. Have fun .
Sep 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you "maryann" for replying. I get the impression that going through the Gatun Lake area might be enough. Spending the rest of the day going through more locks seems kind of redundant. Maybe a city tour--Panama City? Please reply if possible.
Sep 15th, 2005, 10:16 AM

The locks are different but essentially the same. I don't know if Panama City is offered as a tour but it is on the Pacific side of the country. The ship goes to Colon on the Carib. side to pick up the tours and let everyone shop.

I enjoyed the full transit as the Pacific half's land scenery is more interesting and varied but the half transit is good, too.

Be sure you go in the ship's pool while in the Canal so you can say you 'swam in the Panama Canal' LOL

Have fun.
Sep 16th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

"Maryann",AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR THE REPLY AND THE ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:43 PM

If you like real cultural experience try Embera Indian village, and if you like history and beach I recommend you Portobelo, Panama city have history too but no beach on the way.
Also you can get off the ship at Gatun lake with the cruise line and any local tour operator, do you homework (serching: Panama Canal) and you will same a lot money.

Good lucks,
Sep 24th, 2005, 08:13 AM

We have done the Gatun Lake bit twice, but the highlight was a cruise years ago where we stopped at the San Blas Islands.. Things have changed and I know it's now touristy, but it's been one of the real highlights of our cruising. The women especially are living they way they did hundreds of years ago and the clothes they wear are not costumes for the tourists.. After going through a lock once, then another.. it's boring..not to mention hot and humid as heck..but if I could go on a cruise and stop in Panama (not getting to be a hot spot) I'd definetely go.. this is one port for safety you should take a tour.
Sep 25th, 2005, 01:03 PM

If you don't do a complete daytime transit, it is probably not worth it.
The big ship, one lock tours are a scam imho.
M