Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Wow! Did you guys hear this? Re: Passports?!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Starting tomorrow, Americans coming back to the U.S. from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean will NOT have to show their passports... as long as they can show that they did apply for one.. all this because of the HUGE backlog that has threatened to ruin many vacations, honeymoons, etc... Just heard it on NBC Nightly News.
Good news for many people I'm sure.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

All right. I found out more info. This is good through the end of September.

How to get the receipt? You will have to show a document from the State Dept confirming that the application has been received and is being processed. You can get that document through the State Dept's website.
You should expect to be inspected and searched more during your travel since you won't have your passport.
Apparently, members of Congress have been bombarbed with phone calls from angry constituents who face long delays in getting passports. That's why the change was made.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:05 PM

This won't help the backlog--they still have to process the passports.

And it doesn't help if you're going anywhere else. Are they going to drop all the passport applications for Canada/Mexico travelers and expedite all the others?

At least they're finally admitting their complete failure.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM

This should relieve some of the stress among some of those I have been reading about that are traveling soon...

Thanks for the update CraibTraveler
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:53 AM

This should relieve some of the stress among some of those I have been reading about that are traveling soon...

Thanks for the update caribtraveler
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Isn't it ridiculous that they've had to resort to this?

Is it always introduce spools of red tape without planning and preparation?

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM

This does nothing for the people going to Europe and other worldwide locations who have been caught in this stupid mess. If I were one of them, this news would make me even more p----- off!!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:36 AM

What a nightmare. Im glad we applied 5 months in advance because it took 4 of those months to get our 3 passports. One of them was "lost in the mail" so we had to pay another $200 to get a replacement and have it expedited. Grrrrrrrrrr. Im happy for those who will be helped by this new policy.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:15 AM

I'm a little confused by this. With all that's going on in the world, they are lessoning security due to a few VIP's who are being inconvenienced? Am I reading this wrong? My guess is that most people who are sweating getting their passports on time may of simply waited too long. Yes, the "Back Log" could be a factor, but unless you are living a sheltered life with zero information, you'd think people would prepare a little better for airport security. I'm not trying to be insensative, just a little surprised by the lack of awareness about airport secuirty and traveling outside the USA.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Um.. I don't think it's a few VIPs. I think it's a lot of average Americans. I won't disagree that it's amazing that a lot of people did not have passports before the new rule. But now do I have to suffer the consequences because of those people? My 5-year-old son's passport is expiring in January. We were in Anguilla in April and we're going to the Bahamas at the end of July. That's the window of time we had to renew his passport as we're not supposed to travel with a passport that has less than 6 months before it expires. We applied right after we came back from the April trip. So I'm really glad the new option is now available as I just don't know that we'll get his passport back on time. At least where I grew up in Africa we could just bribed someone and it would get done fast. Joke, people. Well, kind of.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I've been ranting about this on the Europe forum.

"Caribbean" does not mean the Bahamas and the USVI.

For Anguilla, St Barts, St Martin and a host of other islands, you need a passport to get IN, so the US relaxing rules on returning to the US are somewhat irrelevant.

They really should be more specific as to which territories they are talking about, as I can see hordes of Americans being turned back at passport control.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:22 PM

just for my own information, which European countries could one visit without a passport before the changes requiring passports for visitors to Mexico, some Caribbean countries and Canada?
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 12:25 PM

The only way to REALLY solve this whole fiasco is to have a Regime Change inside the Beltway.... in Washington!!!!!!

If you set out to inconvenience and p*ss-off as many people as possible and cause as much uncertainty and confusion, well sorry, but the present administration has just shown everybody how it's done.

Please.... vote smart and end this nonsense.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Beachplum

Not one single European country, including European Territories in the Caribbean, which is the point.

Sincerely, please double check with the appropriate island, and believe neither your travel agent or airline.

Caribtraveller, I don't think this is going to help your situation. Call the Anguilla tourist board.

Copied from their site

"Travel Documents: You'll Need
A valid passport (with at least 6 months before expiration) is required by all visitors to Anguilla. Visitors are required to have a return or onward ticket. Additionally, citizens of certain countries below will also need entry visas."

Georgie boy can't change the entry requirements for foreign countries...
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM

I wonder if passport renewals also take this long. Sent passport in for renewal at the end of may. Travelling August 19th. (Southern Caribbean Cruise) Hopefuly it gets here before then.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Our son sent in his renewal over 12 weeks ago and he does not have it yet. He did find out that it is waiting for approval in the Portsmouth, NH passport center and, supposedly, should arrive very soon. We leave in 3 weeks for Italy.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mexico has always requited a birth certificate and a picture ID for entry. As previously stated, we don't have the power to change other countries' policies.
People have sent their birth certificates in with their passports applications so now there will be a mad rush for people getting birth certificates before their trips.
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:14 AM

I feel bad for the people waiting, but seriously, how long has the gov. been telling us this is coming? Years! If you wait until the last minute it will eventually bite you in the arse!

Peace, Greenie
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 10:44 AM

Amen greenie!!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Original Poster

Waring: You misread my post. I already went to Anguilla... but good point to remind everyone that for some of the islands, you'd require a passport to get in anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -