Would Jamaica be a good choice for us?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are two fit and intrepid seniors who are looking for a destination for a week in mid March. We do not want an all-inclusive resort . . . we do want an en-suite room in a safe and cheap hotel ($60/nt or less) in a town that has a lot of activities, a beach nearby would be a plus.

We enjoy easy hikes, shopping, museums, churches, not getting in the water but sipping a cool/frosty drink while sitting under a palapa looking at the water.

We have traveled to over 47 countries but never to the Caribbean. We will be flying from DFW . . . and we are budget travelers (I guess you figured that out when you saw the hotel price).

If Jamaica is a good choice, which part? We're open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM

I think you've captured precisely why your many travels have not taken you to the Caribbean. You want more of a European experience.

I'm not sure there are very many hotels that would meet your needs in Jamaica (or frankly in much of the Caribbean, where prices for decent rooms are more in the $100 to $125 range). Cheap local places aren't aren't always safe in Jamaica, though there are a large number of small inns in Negril that would be appropriate for you (though non as cheap as $60, at least none that I can think of).

Jamaica does have some history, but St. Croix, which has a lot of small inns, might be a better fit for you provided you were willing to do some driving. Or Curacao, which does have accommodations in town but not near good beaches.

FYI: Most accommodations in the Caribbean are not in towns, and towns aren't that safe after dark. Driving is almost mandatory if you aren't staying in a resort, and few beach hotels are in your price range. Also consider that food is pretty expensive in the Caribbean; even if you find a hotel in your budget, the cost of meals may wreck it again.

I think Mexico (Tulum in particular) might be a better fit for you. There are also really picturesque places such as the ones you describe in the Samana Peninsula of the Dominican Republic, but there are almost no museums or churches to visit. There are a lot of cheap places to stay in Puerto Rico, and if you were willing to drive around, you could probably find something under $125, though probably not under $60, and that island does have more of the kind of history you like.

One additional possibility might actually be Santo Domingo. While few Americans would consider a vacation there, it has a lovely on-the-upswing historic area that is both walkable and charming. And there are some cheap boutique hotels that would be ideal. It has the history you seek, though none of the beaches. You might be able to afford one of the large hotels with lovely gardens and pools, however. And I suspect you can fly nonstop from DFW.
Old Nov 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM
KVR

I would suggest a boutique hotel in Playa del Carmen, MX right off 5th Avenue. 5th Avenue is a pedesterian walkway that goes for several blocks and contains shopping, entertainment and tons of resturants. Easily walkable and safe during the day or night. Most boutique hotels have access passes to beach clubs about a 10 minute walk away. Though I have never seen a hotel that is decent for $60.00. Try researching this link and see if you find anything you like:

http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lo...cfm?area=Playa del Carmen&type=Hotel/Resort

There are many historical sites and things to do off property and in the surrounding area. Mayan ruins, caves, sancuaries, jungle tours, etc. Signing up for tours is easy and convenient. We usually book on-line before going. Easy flight from DFW.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. We have traveled extensively in Mexico and Central America and here lately in SE Asia . . . we've become spoiled by the cheap prices.

We haven't been to any places in the Caribbean and were hoping to branch out. I've been reading posts about Jamaica and the Dominican Rep and was thinking Jamaica might be the better (cheaper) place to go.

Guess I'll keep looking . . .

Thanks again,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Dominican Republic is generally far cheaper than Jamaica, both at the low and high ends. Around the middle it's about the same.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Check out White Sands in Negril. Right on the best part of the beach and about $70 for a standard room.
Old Nov 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM

I hope you are not disapointed in Jamacia-I went there once and would NEVER go back. The people were awful-pushy,threatening. I told family & friends & when they went also had scares. There are so many places in the world to see that are safe. Go at your own risk!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM

From your self-description, I think Negril, Jamaica would fit your bill. For 2 people sharing a room, a budget of $100/day each could easily cover hotel/food/drink/excursions (airfare not counted in that). I do it every trip but am a good negotiator - and EVERYTHING in Jamaica is price negotiable. This price point is geared to the more adventurous, you get what you give attitude type of traveler - as opposed to luxury-oriented traveler. Great fun if you don't expect 5-star treatment at budget price. Not really any formal museums - but many historic places. But there are many excursions to occupy yourself - horse-back riding, snorkling, waterfall/river trips, catamaran tours, country-side jeep tours, Rum factory tours, etc are all organized and popular. The food is great and cheap at the numerous road-side stands and local restaurants. You are safe eating almost anywhere, and the same with the water - unlike Mexico.

There are several locally owned smaller hotels right on the beach, or right across the street, in Negril's 7-mile beach area, in the $40-90US/night price range. And that is for 2, not per person - you weren't clear in your original question. Since you specified you don't want AI - that keeps price down. They will only be 2-3 star level, and a little worn around the edges, but safe and clean, and you won't be in them much anyway. Just FYI - hotels range from even lower, but not for me - all the way up to $$$$ 5-star mega-resort AI's - also not for me. You might also try the "cliffs area" of Negril - for a more local, less party area than the 7-mile beach. Still in the same town, but a different "vibe".

Spook is right about White Sands, and there is also Kuyaba, Negril Beach Club Condos, Green Leaf Cabins - many more in that price range. This site is good resource because has links to hotel sites, not just their prices: http://www.travel2negril.com/hotels.htm. But this one is good resource, too: http://www.negrilinfo.com. To check prices, 1800hotels.com seems to have great rates posted right now, many times lower than booking direct on hotel sites.

For hotel/resort advice - TripAdvisor.com has a great Negril forum. For a more repeat-visitor point of view - http://www.negril.com/cgi-bin/discus.cgi is good forum.

In my opingion, the warnings are over-done. There is petty theft - but no worse than in many parts of US. Hard crime is pretty much limited to Kingston - and even there to the drug areas. In the touristy areas, like Negril or Port Antonio or Treasure Beach, the locals watch out for the tourists because their livlihood depends on it. There are overzealous beach "higglers" peddling everything from fruit to "ganja" to themselves (as in rent-a-rasta), but a confident, repeated "no thanks" resolves it. But there are also pleasant beach vendors - fruit lady and patty man come to mind - that repeat visitors actually watch for every day.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Spook and Ohio for your positive responses. We have just about decided to go to Veracruz in Mexico but if airfare to Jam comes down, we might put Negril on the list. It sounds like someplace we would like.

And . . . we like talking to vendors, they are not always a pest . . . can find out a lot about the locale and the people and sometimes they do look out after us.

Thanks again,
Sandy (in Denton)