Windjammer cuise with kids?

Oct 21st, 2000, 02:48 PM
Bill

Windjammer cuise with kids?

Any thoughts about taking kids (boys, 11 and 15) along on a Windjammer cuise? Are there particular ships that are more "kid oriented" than others. We would be going in the summer.

Oct 21st, 2000, 02:50 PM
Bill

Same typo twice!! "C-R-U-I-S-E"

Oct 21st, 2000, 06:10 PM
KNoel

Yes, some are kid friendly, and some are totally inappropriate for kids. For one company, check out www.windjammer.com. We went a few years ago, and enjoyed it.Any specific questions, let me know!

Oct 23rd, 2000, 07:04 AM
Cheri

We have been on 5 Windjammers now and really like them. They are promoting family trips during the summer months on Legacy and I also heard the Polynesia which surprises me because it was always the "party boat." I would try to go when they are offering their family trips because the other ones get a little risque for children. They have a costume night that can get pretty wild, also there aren't a lot of shipboard activities and your kids might be bored. If you go when they offer the family specials there would be a better chance of other kids being along. I have only been on one that had children aboard and they were brothers and the only two kids on the cruise.

If you have questions, email me and I'll help if I can.

Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:01 AM
Trevor

The two Windjammers I went on were great, but your kids better be somewhat used to sailing if they're going to enjoy it. These boats are much, much, smaller than the huge floating cities of Cruise Ships. And you can feel the ocean all the time. Not for the easily rattled, but a great adventure nonetheless.

Oct 23rd, 2000, 09:53 AM
kay

Bill:

I too have been on several crusies. About the only ship I would recommend for a family is the Legacy unless the other ships are having a "family week" as the costume parties and drinking all week as well as language is really geared to adults. Probably rec.travel.crusies might be a better board to post too and look at www.windjammer.com too.

Oct 26th, 2000, 12:01 PM
John

I think it would be fine to take your kids on a Windjammer cruise, if you pick the right one. The ships are small, but I get seasick easily and I didn't have a problem. There isn't much to do on the ship. This is fine for adults who don't mind laying around and reading a book on deck. So make sure you pick an itinerary with as few at sea days as possible. Our Legacy trip out of Puerto Rico had a port every day, and the Virgin Islands have very calm seas. I would strongly recommend it.

Oct 27th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Ryan

I went when I was 17 (now 25) and thought it was a great trip. Gives the experience and appreciation for sailing without the tougher stuff. Great opportunity to teach the kids the adventure and fun of island travel. The evironment may be adult, but not offensive. Again, a good teaching point to help them learn to socialize and respect adult's space. Not dangerous and a great time. Go for it!

Ryan

Oct 29th, 2000, 07:44 PM
sandy

Hi Bill,
You might consider going on Star Clippers instead of the Windjammers.
http://www.starclippers.com/
Star Clippers is a bit more "upscale" than the Windjammers, but definitely more suitable for children. For one thing, (I'm probably going to make a lot of people mad with this one) they don't start off the day with drinking. For another thing, they really sail the ship from one place to another, instead of just putting the sails up for a couple of hours a day. The food and the accommodations are better, too.
We've been on the ships 3 times now, and it just gets better and better. The kids on the ship seemed to be having a great time. Check it out.