Windjammer Barefoot Cruises - April 1st to April 7th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My overall question is: will I be comfortable on this trip? My situation: I am wanting to do something extremely special for my 50th birthday and I'm traveling alone. Of all the cruises/trips that I researched, WBC seems to offer the best overall trip that meets my criteria. I want something that's extremely casual, WBC will set me up with a roomate and most of all, a trip during my birthday (which also happens to be Easter week). My concerns about the WBC trip deals with the fact that I don't drink (recovering alcoholic) and although I am okay with casual drinking, don't care for rambunctious party atmosphere. In addition, just hoping that the age of the travelers will be more than just college age "kids" enjoying themselve during Easter/Spring break. Is there anyone out there who plans to attend this same trip on the Polynesia? Thank you for any information that y'all can provide.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:13 AM

Although we have not been on this particular boat - typically Windjammer cruises are quite rambunctious with a great deal of alcohol consumption. I would be concerned about your being comfortable in that atmosphere.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM

First let me say I have sailed with WJBC 11 times in the past 16 years. 8 trips on the Poly, 3 on the Yankee Clipper. None of them have ever been rambunctious with a great deal of alcohol consumption. The person who occasionally over does it yes, the rule no.

Typically the only time that might be a correct description is if you sailed during Pirate's week or maybe a singles cruise. The trip you have scheduled is neither.

I am not much of a drinker yet have never found myself feeling out of place or uncomfortable. NO ONE CARES !!
That's the beauty of this type of cruise. I have yet to see anyone worry about whether or not someone else may or may not be drinking. If you like the fancy drinks they can be ordered up alcohol free. The only person that would know is the Bartender and trust me he couldn't care less. Most people enjoy the occasional drink but you are so active during the day there isn't much time for drinking and at night most often the bar is open till about midnight. You get up too early to do all nighters. Last trip(on YC) one night we did stay up "partying" till around 1:30am which is a rarity. It was my birthday and everyone was in a good mood so we started dancing and singing along to the music. Even the Capt and 1st mate joined in. Guess what I wasn't drinking and neither were most of the others. We had 2 thirteen year olds on board who also danced and had fun. Was there much laughter and happiness? I would say so. Did anyone get out of hand? No. The only complaint I heard the next day were from those who's cabin was just under the bar. Seems when we danced to Follow the Leader it sounded like elephants were on board.

Don't think you have to worry much about Spring Breakers, the trip is too expensive. Most would have trouble affording the airfare to one of the destinations. I would say the average age range is from mid-thirty somethings on up. My last trip I would guess most passengers were between the ages of 40-55.

Certainly if you are a recently recovering alcoholic I would think any cruise or trip alone away from your sponser could be difficult. If you have been in long term recovery I don't forsee any problems. I travel alone or with another female friend. She does her thing and I do mine. We quite often do seperate things while on the cruise but enjoy having a travel companion for the long flights and layovers. Helps cut the cost if you need to overnight somewhere too.

Javajackson your trip will be special and believe me the crew and other passengers will make it special. This is my favorite vacation of all the various ones I enjoy. If I had more vacation time and money I'd do a WJ more than once every year or so.

Have fun
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I sincerely appreciate your positive review. I am really excited about this special trip and your reply is very helpful.

If you don't mind, I have a few misc questions - like how many swimsuits should I take, should I pack extra towels (especially for swimming), is it best to arrange for tours ahead of time (with another agency other than WBC) or wait until I get on board, and do you have any advice to offer in particular (or in general) to make my trip more enjoyable?

Again, any information that you provide is extremely appreciate.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM

I pack all I need in a carry on for roughly 10 days. Easy care shorts, and tank tops, 2 swimming suits, a couple of T-shirts, sundress and/or slacks with a nice top to match but one that can do double duty with another outfit. You spend much of your time in a bathing suit and coverup or shorts. I like the type of clothes I can wash out in the sink and drip dry if need be. Easy on the T-shirts as you will have ample opportunity to add to your collection on each island as well as from the Seachest. As for a regular beach towel it takes up too much room in your luggage I have a smaller bath towel size chamois type for drying off. I got it on a camping website, and what is called a neat sheet. They are available at kmart, wal mart, giant eagle target. Google and you should find the nearest outlet that carries them.

Tours you plan on doing before you board the ship can be booked ahead of time. Visit the various websites to find e-mail addresses to set something up or consult the manager at your hotel if you plan to spend a few days before and after. One excursion many enjoy on St. Maarten is the 12 meter race. A suggestion would be to watch for fellow passengers at the airport by looking for the WJ logo luggage tags on their baggage.If you do spot someone offer to share a cab unless you or they are staying on the French side of St. Maarten. My preference is the Dutch side but others swear by St. Martin. Another place to seek out fellow passengers is the Greenhouse and the Get Wet Bar. All are in Phillipsburg(Dutch side) where the Poly is docked.

I do usually check my luggage even though a carry on(easier to manuever thru the airport and store in your cabin) but have a bag large enough to carry a bathing suit, 2 changes of underwear and 2 tops and a pair of shorts. This is enough to get you thru in case of lost luggage.
Hope this answers some of your questions.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Yes, very helpful indeed. Thank You! And as I get closer to the departure date I'm sure other questions will arise. So I appreciate any input that you offer.
Old Feb 7th, 2007, 06:05 PM

All good advice. Don't get too sucked into all the activities/excursions everyday. It's nice to have time to just unwind or do the beach trips. WJ has really emphasized the excursions in the past 5 years for increased revenues. fun no doubt, but also a good time to put it into neutral and try some island time.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:41 AM

I haven't ever felt that WJ emphasizes the excursions....but, I am one of those that usually prefers to do things on my own. When I have done excursions thru WJ, I felt the charge for them were reasonable.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:45 AM

I'm sorry but have to disagree about the drinking. I think it would be very, very hard for one who doesn't drink. Having spent more than 11 weeks on the Poly alone, I find it just amazing that vincygirl has not run into a great deal of partying and drinking on the Poly. The Poly has always been the biggest party ship WJ has. The Mandalay & Legacy are quieter. You will probably find some people who aren't heavy drinkers but is pretty geared to partying.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:14 AM

I haven't been on either ship myself, but have friends who have done both the Polynesia and Yankee Clipper, and the Poly has stopped here on my island in the winter months for many years.

My friends' experience on sailing both was that the Poly was more of a carefree, party type atmosphere than the Yankee Clipper and she added that she felt more drinking and fun went on onboard the Poly. They preferred the YC for their honeymoon and the Poly when they just wanted to go and cut loose and have fun.

I do notice when I see the guests come ashore here from the Poly they do seem more the partying type, versus those I see come ashore from other small clipper cruise ships who are more reserved. Just noting an observation. As I said, I've never been on either ship myself.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. FYI - I wanted to go on the Legacy but since I'm traveling solo, WJ placed me on the Polynesia. And, although I have 24 years of sobriety, I still need to be comfortable with my surroundings. I'm still debating whether this trip is right for me so all comments are welcomed!