Why travel to Bermuda?

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:19 AM
Janis

Why travel to Bermuda?

Help me decide aqbout Bermuda.. What did you like? What made you chose this island?

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:13 AM
David

We chose Bermuda initially because we read it was safe, the economy good, no welfare, it was a British territory (different from the typical USA), and that it was semi-tropical. How many other islands in the Carribean can you say are really safe? The only thing that now you have to throw in a BIG "but" in there- BUT now- Bermuda's economy is sinking, tourism is falling, racial tensions are again on the rise, and crime is not as rare as it use to be. Check out www.bdaccess.com for an inside look into Bermuda. While we had a fantastic time when we went a year or so ago, I think now we might think twice about going back.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:20 AM
David

I keep giving out the wrong URL on the Bermuda site. Sorry- it's: http://www.accessbda.bm/gazette.htm

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 12:04 PM
Carl

Bermuda does not depend on tourism alone. It has a very strong international business community. The economy is actually doing quite well thanks to it. While you can no longer leave your hotel room door open at night, it is not a dangerous place at all. If you go I recommend staying at one of the small hotels such as The Reefs, Pompano Beach or Cambridge Beaches. My wife and I love Bermuda because there is plenty to do, every place you go is more beautiful than the last, the beaches and water are tops, and the people who live there are generally well off. They don't resent tourist because they probably live as well, and travel as much as you do. Bermuda is also very accessable from the East Coast. You can leave home in the morning and be on the beach by about 2:00 in the afternoon. It is expensive, but very different than home and very relaxing. Hope you go and enjoy!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 12:34 PM
David

I'm definitly no expert on Bermuda, all I know is what I read and what I've experienced during my stays there. I do have to ask though that if the economy is doing so well, why are the hotels partially supported by the government? Why do the people that live there have to work two or three jobs just to make it? Why is it, when I talk to anyone who is an "average" citizen (and usually a black citizen), they wish they could leave Bermuda. Why is there a shortage of taxicab drivers, which indirectly lead to the murder of a 16 year old canadian girl? If there's "no <BR>crime", why are there three prisons on the island? Bermuda being an absolute paradise is only a facade- it's false. While beautiful on the outside, just like any other country/ territory- it has major problems as well- racial as well as crime and govermental blundering. I just want people to know that while Bermuda is still probably one of the safest places to vacation, you must still be careful where ever you go. I definitly don't want to start a debate on Bermuda, but while the average tourist probably won't see much wrong in Bermuda, there have been quite a few that have been victims of serious crime (such as the 16 year old).For your own info look at the Bermuda newspapers on-line (www.bermudasun.org and w.accessbda.bm/gazette.htm). Be safe-see ya.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:53 PM
Michelle

Why? Because it is an absolutely gorgeous country filled with the nicest, most hospitable people I have ever encountered. There is a lot to do and see or you can spend all your time on the beautiful beaches. The water is gorgeous, the island is filled with greenery, but the people really made our trip. Add to this the fact that no one is begging on the street or hassling you to buy from them and you have my idea of an island paradise. Go and experience Bermuda and I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Parrot Mom

We just came back from our 5th trip to Bermuda by cruise ship. Why..First...the Bermudians we have met black or white are the lovliest and most courtiest people we have ever met... The ladies in the shops will go out of their way to help you to find an item even if it means recommending another shop... The children and adults, each and everyone of them thank the bus drivers getting off and saying hello by name.. We came home late from Hamilton on the bus and the bus driver floored us over by driving the bus down the street directly to the ship!!!!! Talk about going out of her way.. .Where else do children get up and give elders their seats? Bermuda is immaculate, people whether rich or poor seem to take pride in their homes... Is there unemployment, yes, I believe the hotel industry is having a problem, but they are working with the cruise industry so they can be included in the Bermuda Experience... Do I feel safe in Bermuda compared to other islands...I certainly do....Do I feel welcome, I certainly do... In all honesty, with all the traveling we do to other islands, I can't always say that...In all honesty Bermuda shopping isn't the bargain it used to be... But I recommend Bermuda wholeheartedly

Old Jun 7th, 1999, 09:11 AM
Parrot Mom

We just came back from our 5th trip to Bermuda by cruise ship. Why..First...the Bermudians we have met black or white are the lovliest and most courtiest people we have ever met... The ladies in the shops will go out of their way to help you to find an item even if it means recommending another shop... The children and adults, each and everyone of them thank the bus drivers getting off and saying hello by name.. We came home late from Hamilton on the bus and the bus driver floored us over by driving the bus down the street directly to the ship!!!!! Talk about going out of her way.. .Where else do children get up and give elders their seats? Bermuda is immaculate, people whether rich or poor seem to take pride in their homes... Is there unemployment, yes, I believe the hotel industry is having a problem, but they are working with the cruise industry so they can be included in the Bermuda Experience... Do I feel safe in Bermuda compared to other islands...I certainly do....Do I feel welcome, I certainly do... In all honesty, with all the traveling we do to other islands, I can't always say that...In all honesty Bermuda shopping isn't the bargain it used to be... But I recommend Bermuda wholeheartedly

Old Jun 10th, 1999, 05:35 PM
wayne

Folks, <BR> <BR>I saved up real hard and bought a condo on the island last year. I can't think of a tropical paradise that is cleaner and safer. I have never seen more beautiful beaches anywhere and I have been everywhere. I own a boat there and golf my brains out. I love the sweet people and can stay for months with no island fever. Home in 1 hour and 45 minutes by air....try doing that from Muai. Gorgeous flowers and a ban on too much buliding and development....perfect.

Old Jun 12th, 1999, 09:22 PM
Norma

I second ALL the comments made by Michelle, Parrot Mom, and Wayne. I have been fortunte to travel much in my life, and Bermuda was tops! I'm quite puzzled by the comments of David. I was there for 6 days last month and hope to return soon!!