Reload this Page >

Why so down on Jamaica?

Search

Why so down on Jamaica?

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:14 AM
Monique

Why so down on Jamaica?

I get the distinct feeling that many on this board are really down on Jamaica. I just can't fathom this. Did you go on a cruise and get off in Ocho Rios and let this form your opinion of the country for you? Did you hear from someone that it is an awful place to go? What gives?? <BR>I just got back from 9 days in Jamaica and I have tosay it was my favorite country and vacation EVER. I have been to Mexico on a cruise and every single port we stopped at we were hassled as we got off the ship. Not once did I see dirty beggar children in Jamaica as I did in Mexico. The people were truly friendly and the roads and the poverty were no wher near what I expected. I had a great time and felt safe the whole time I was there. I didn't make it away from the resort to much I have trouble beleiving the crime is as badd as is rumored.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 06:32 AM
Kim

I love Jamaica and return there as often as possible.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:10 PM
Brian in Atlanta

There are 2 Jamaicas. The one behind the resort wall where guests are protected from hassling, and the other Jamaica where you cannot escape it. <BR> <BR>Brushing off the never ending offers to braid your hair or buy all kinds of different stuff is just the begining. Try buying something from a local vendor and then being told you must pay him a tip too. Oh, and you must also pay a tip to the person who put your purchase in a bag. "What? You only tip 50 Jamaican Dollars? I spit on your money (but I'll take it)." <BR> <BR>Try going to a nice restaurant and not have your bill added up incorrectly (to their advantage). Try getting correct change after you've pointed out the discrepancy in the bill. Try getting your correct change anywhere. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, my experience and my friends' experience (who just returned last week) is that the Jamaicans outside the resorts view tourists as quick hits - get as much from them as you can. They seem not to care if that makes people not want to return. They are much too short sighted. <BR> <BR>So if you just want to stay in the resort, Jamaica may be for you. My friends and I, however, will not return.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 01:37 PM
JamaicaFan

Try making less than $2000.00 a year and living in such poverty. Try putting up with "UGLY AMERICANS" and believe me, most are. Just returned from Jamaica and found the people to be genuine and friendly despite bad encounters with Americans who should never leave home!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 03:22 PM
debbie

we also went to ocho rios and found the people to be the nicest that we have encountered out of about 12 islands in the Caribbean. They are genuinely nice and happy to live in such a beautiful place. We did not meet anyone that we would not have brought home with us in a second and we did tip and felt honored to do so because they all went out of their way to make us happy. We are returning in December and in March. We also found it to be no more dangerous than any other island we have been to and would recomend it to anyone!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 04:06 PM
TRAVELER

I agree with the above post. I love Jamaica and it's people. I have been to resorts and been treated warmly even though there were obnoxious vacationers in the pool who were rude to the staff. I guess they are just use to being treated poorly by the drunks and learned to keep their thoughts to them selves. I was embarassed by those people partying it up in the pool acting like the staff were a group of idots. They are probably the ones who didn't like Jamaica. Not just Americans,but Brits and Canadians. <BR>Just treat everyone with respect and you will get the same back, in most cases.

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:20 PM
d motl

Got back from our first trip to Jamaica. <BR>Spent two weeks in Negril. We spend one month a year traveling and can say with confidence that our opinion is very positive. We took a trip to the country and rubbed shoulders with people that seldom see a tourist. At no time did we feel uncomfortable and found everyone to be friendly. <BR>The people that upset us were the rude and disrespectfull group of US tourists that were staying at our hotel. <BR>We tried to apologize for them the staff just said it goes with their job <BR>(which pays $30/week for 6 12 hour days) <BR>

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:36 AM
tivertonhouse

Resortland is rarely the "real" essense of any country,Jamaica especially.If one wants a depersonalized bland week in the sun,go anywhere but Jamaica. many travel agents and resorts will gladly oblige. ,just as we'd not judge Myrtle Beach as the U.S. standard

Old May 23rd, 2001, 03:47 AM
tivertonhouse

Message continued:,Just as we'd not judge Myrtle Beach as the U.S. standard,Jamaica cannot be 'judged' by the conduct of either local or tourist in Ochee,Negril and MoBay,particularly behind the walls of a resort.Smart travellers learn to get out in the country,independently. Rent a villa,an estate,a cottage, go to a b&b off the beaten track and you'll more than rub shoulders with locals. You'll learn what makes Jamaica so hauntingly beautiful:the resolution of its people to survive a very hard life.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 12:02 PM
jamaicatraveler

we are headed to jamaica for our 4th visit in 10 years next week. we thought about and debated on other destinations in the caribbean but knew what to expect from jamaica. we have stayed at sandals, couples, wyndham, and are headed to swept away, and other than a few minor gliches, every trip has been memorable. yes there is poverty, as ther is in other destinations but the people have always been friendly and the locations beautiful.

Old May 23rd, 2001, 02:32 PM
Jamaica Luva

Went to Ocho Rios last year & loved every minute! Didn't want to leave & tried to stay an extra couple days but resort was full & didn't want to take a chance on not getting a flight back home. The only nasty people we encountered were tourists, who seemed to think that staff were their own personal slaves instead of people who work for a living just like we do. If I were treated in the manner some of the staff were on my job, I'd lose my job cause I'd have to knock somebody out! Cancun cannot even compare to Jamaica, in my opinion. We can't wait to return - Negril is our next stop! We were warned constantly before we left the U.S. about going to Jamaica, but all the rumors/hype were b.s. & unfounded - go with an open mind & judge for yourself, you won't be disappointed unless you are just totally unflexible & hard to please. In that case, stay home & don't ruin my vacation!

Old May 25th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Mere

I'm reading allot from the "resort go-ers" on this string. <BR> <BR>My husband and I planning on going this fall, and are ademently against resorts. <BR> <BR>So, naturally we are curious about what the Non-resort type has to say. Anyone have any additional info, off the beaten track?

Old May 25th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Mere, as I said, outside the resort is very, very different from the inside (like you, we avoid fenced resorts). Its not unsafe on the outside, but full of hassles. <BR> <BR>Go with a good attitude - Jamaica is beautiful (Negril especially) and lots of fun, but keep your guard up. Check the bill and your change carefully. A pretty firm "no thanks" will usually (but not always) put off unwanted solicitations. If you want to buy, don't hesitate to strike up a conversation. Jamaicans can be very warm and friendly - provided they make a sale or tip. And don't be suprised to be asked for a little more after you've paid. <BR> <BR>Have fun and look out for hurricanes.

Old May 25th, 2001, 07:47 AM
tivertonhouse

MERE: Though we're about to add five (5) <BR>additional properties within the next few months, check out our nine (9) off-the-beaten track holiday rentals--estates,villas,cottages,b&bs and private excursion services in Jamaica-- <BR>on www.jamaicaescapes.com. You'll find lots to appeal to non-resort types...

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Les

Mere, Jamaica is my favorite travel destination in the Caribbean. We began by going to resorts, but soon found we spent so little time there that it was a waste of money for us. You might try a villa rental or a small hotel for a bit of a taste of 'off the beaten path'. <BR>My advice would be to steer clear of group tours, etc. for sightseeing. Hook up with a local driver and have him show you around. Your villa or hotel will be able to recommend someone and you are sure to have some culturally rich experiences that way..local villages, relatives in the hills, corner shops, football games..

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:34 PM
FRANK RIZZO

I LOVE MY SECLUDED GETAWAY ON 168TH STREET IN JAMAICA.THE ROMANTIC SOUNDS OF POLICE SIORINS GUNFIRE AND GLASS BREAKING IS MUSIC TO MY EARS

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 08:49 AM
100%Jamaican

Hail, <BR> <BR>It pains me to see when a tourist or a group of tourists, have a bad experience and then continue to cast aspersions on my beautiful island in the sun! If you have a head on your shoulder, or a logically thinking animal...IT would be possible realize that, TRAVELLING in itself to a country not of your own IS a risk. For lack a a better phase, I'd call those "folks" who were "taken" or bilked "Stupid or Naive" <BR> <BR>Mainly,...the reason why is becuse they watch the commercials..."come to jamaica and feel allllright"...and think its not a country with small third world country issues. <BR> <BR>Poverty exist everywhere, right here in Brooklyn NY,..poverty is VERY prevelent. However, in a country where its tourism and mining is the chief subsistence....the poverty WOULD seem a bit more systemic. Plus its but so small. <BR> <BR>Bare that in mind the many how to's, do's and don'ts and everyone will have a fun time. <BR> <BR>Outside of the resorts exist a real world...don't be blinded by the lush green flora....yes we have dirt, smog, noisy traffic and corrupt government officials, and yeah the locals get in on it too. But you find me a country on this planet that doesn't!!! I'll pay you! <BR> <BR>If it gets too harsh for your liking try going to Israel or Palestine right about now,..or even The Congo...for a vacay...see how fast y'all catch the first flight out of dodge... <BR> <BR>Moreover,...there are tons of warnings and advisories on "how to consume" the culture. Just goes to show that some are blind as well as deaf too. By the way I got a couple of rocks to sell you,.mon. <BR> <BR>100% Jamaican... <BR> <BR>Be real.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Bill

In all the yrs Ive been visiting Jamaica <BR>I have never once had a bad incounter. I feel the people are great and the Island is wonderful. We visit every year and will continue to do so. No, we do not stay at a secluded resort, and yes we do go out at night.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 09:20 AM
lorraine

Once you get in our out of the airport in Montego Bay, Jamaica is a lovely spot for a vacation. The workers at American Airlines did not show up for work on time (650a flight to miami), they showed up at 630a. the airport was not same both my mother and I walked in and out of the airport through customs numerous times w/out ever being asked to show ID or stopped. There was no communication (signs,announcemets) reporting if flights were arriving or delayed. B/C of the horrible experience at the airport would consider never returning to the island. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Bill

We found absolutely nothing alluring about Jamaica. My wife and I have traveled to many Caribbean islands and have never seen such a lack of pride. I'm happy to say that we will never return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -