WHY JAMAICA? WHY NOT HAWAII?

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 09:30 AM
Bonnie

WHY JAMAICA? WHY NOT HAWAII?

Why on earth would you go to a place where you have to worry about crime on the way from airport to resort, and where you need armed guards sitting on walls to keep the drug pushers out? This is what I hear several couples say they've encountered. Why not go to Hawaii which is gorgeous and safe? If you go when airfares are down, it's not that much more expensive!!! I hear this time and again, that people will never go back because it isn't safe!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 12:54 PM
Lara

Some reasons people go to Jamaica are: <BR>--travel time to Jamaica is significantly less than to Hawaii from most areas in the U.S. <BR>--many direct flights <BR>--Jamaica is nice for a trip of five days or less <BR>--hotels, restaurants in Jamaica are much less expensive than those in Hawaii <BR>--want the Caribbean atmosphere and want to get out of the U.S.

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 02:13 PM
Bonnie

But the restaurants and hotels in Jamaica are not a lot less expensive than Hawaii, according to the top travel guides & writers. In Hawaii, you have everything from cheap local cuisine to gourmet meals, a wide, wide range. The same in hotels - <BR>But for those who want "a different culture", I can understand that, and the shorter travel time. Doesn't the crime bother you? Can you relax when you leave the resort to do other things? That's another thing about Hawaii. There's so much to see and do outside your resort. Is that true in Jamaica?

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Peggy

I would say "Why Hawaii? Why not the South Pacific?" Because everybody is different & satisifed by various solutions. Personally I don't care that much for Jamaica or Hawaii! but like other Caribbean islands; and think the islands of the South Pacific are fantastic. Each to his own. <BR>

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 03:09 PM
Bonnie

I genuinely would like to know what you love about the South Pacific, and why it's better than Hawaii. The few things I've heard sound good, but aren't you contributing to the French economy? I just hate to do that, the way they don't like us much! But I might be tempted, if you tell me what is great there!

Old Jun 29th, 1999, 03:25 PM
Peggy

You are only thinking of French Polynesia (Tahiti/Society Islands), the rest of the South Pacific is not French. Besides, it is the local economy you are contributing to. Fiji is independent & the people are the warmest & happiest I have encountered. Rarotonga is also independent & a beautiful, clean island. Turquoise lagoons & manicured tropical environment. We will be going to Samoa in October. There is alot more tradition & culture intact in some of these places (the less traveled) than you will see elsewhere. But my idea of a vacation is NOT a high-rise Americanized hotel with a Hard Rock Cafe down the street....Love that at home but if fast food franchises have found where I am going, it is time to move on! It is just my preference. We seek out small properties on a path less traveled.....if we're lucky. And yes it can be more expensive (not always) & take more effort to get there but that is why everybody else is NOT there!

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 10:54 AM
june

<BR>There are many Caribbean islands just as beautiful as Jamaica and with less crime. Do you want flat or mountainous? Arid or lush green? <BR>Beaches or cliffs? Cosmopolitan or rural atmosphere? Reggae or salsa? There's a lot of variety down there; do some reading and research and find the place just right for you. <BR>I do prefer those shrter flights to the Caribbean

Old Jun 30th, 1999, 04:11 PM
Victoria

Being a Canadian I can only say that a trip to Hawaii for two weeks is approximately triple the price of a trip to Jamaica. I'd love to go to Hawaii, but unfortunately, my pocketbook can't quite handle the prices yet.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 02:38 PM
Rosie

What are you talking about?!!!?? What crime - what armed guards? Jamiaca is beautiful, the people are proud and beautiful. I walk on the beach in Jamica and have no problems and if anyone offers me anything I just say "No Thanks" - no problem. The hotels are nice, the prices very reasonable, and most of them aren't americanized high-rises filled with people who go into cardiac arrest without air conditioning. The culture is wonderful, the food fantastic, the dark rum is like candy, the sunset in Negril is one of the most beautiful....I could go on and on. To me, Hawaii is just another state with too many concrete high rise hotels and too many people and too many loud, expensive restaurants. <BR>Jamaica is one of the most wonderful places I have ever been. It gets in your soul and doesn't let go - as anyone who loves it will tell you. And as for pricing, being on the east coast, it is QUITE a bit cheaper to go to Jamaica, or anywhere else in the carribbean. There are specials running all the time for great places to stay in Jamaica. I think it is to each his/her own. My mother's favorite place is Puerta Vallarta, Mexico - I've been there 3 times and I don't like it nearly as much as she does. Nothing agianst it - it's just personal preference. That is the whole point of TRAVEL - don't you think? To see other places, other people, find that one secret place that fills your soul. Not to go to some concrete jungle where the most exotic thing you do is wait in line for the Hard Rock Cafe. <BR>Live a little - go to Jamaica and "feel alright".

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 06:44 PM
fran

<BR>I'm confused: do you never leave the US because you will be contributing to another country's economy? Please tell me this isn't so. Have you never been to Canada or Europe? I've been to 22 Caribbean Islands and love most, altho Jamaica is one of my least favorite (will be there as a port of call on a cruise ship next month). I believe the main reason people go there as oppose to the other islands is the cost. It probably is the cheapest. As far as crime, any large US city is full of it, but I still enjoy a weekend in NY, LA and most other major US cities. I just got back from Rome and Florence, AWESOME! but full of crime as we were continuously warned. Don't let it keep you home

Old Jul 10th, 1999, 06:29 PM
che'

i love jamaica. I have been there 10 times. I have never had any problems. We party with the Jamaicans every night and close the clubs down. We rent a villa for the week. We will be there in Dec. for 8 days. Try renting a villa. They come with a full staff.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 11:34 AM
Jenelle

And you assume that Hawaii has no crime? My husband was attacked by 4 local men right in front of me in Waikiki simply because they thought he was white (he's actually Puerto Rican but looks white). I had to run off to call the police, and when they came, they laughed about it and tried to convince us not to press charges. My husband was bleeding and his clothes were ripped off, and the police thought it was funny. <BR> <BR>Furthermore, there were prostitutes and drug dealers everywhere. The streets were dirty, the service was poor almost everywhere (locals would be seated before us even though we were there first, and would receive their food first even if we ordered first). <BR> <BR>Our hotel room was on the 52nd floor of a skyscraper. Smog, traffic and crowds. Gross. Granted, the other islands are better as far as crowds and skyscrapers, but the service is even more cold and indifferent if you are a "haole" (white), and thinks are even more expensive. I would go back to Jamaica any day over Hawaii. With any where you go you have to be careful. Even on vacation you are part of the real world and if you are careless things can go wrong. But to say that Hawaii is safe and Jamaica is not, you are jumping to conclusions.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 08:31 PM
Decent Tropical

Fascinating! So many different experiences and points of view. <BR> <BR>The poster's general description of Hawaii was in line with what I've read and heard about Honolulu and Waikiki but certainly not the other islands and even the quieter parts of Oahu. I read something by Arthur Frommer about Oahu off-the-beaten-path and it sounded like it has much to offer. <BR> <BR>However, the violent incident the poster recounted shocked me. What time of day did this occur? Was it in a desserted area? <BR> <BR>As to the Jamaica vs. Hawaii question, I agree with the other posters that this is really a matter of personal preferance. The two places sound are very different and as with everything else in life, each has it's own pros and cons. <BR> <BR>As to cost, from the little I've read, it seems that the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico offer the greatest values and are the easiest to get to from the eastern U.S. I was in Puerto Rico when I was around 10 yrs. old and I don't remember it that well. I do have some vague positive memories of it but the reading I've done about it recently and the pictures I've seen, are enough to make me say with confidence that it has a great deal to offer. <BR> <BR>I have neither been to nor read as much about the DR but based on what I have read it also sounds like it has much to offer. <BR> <BR>The only Caribbean island I've been to besides Puerto Rico was Antigua, also when I was a kid. I also have vague good memories of it. <BR> <BR>I do hope, with the help of G-d, to do more Caribbean travelling in the future. <BR> <BR>There are many things about Jamaica which appeal to me but in the overall analysis it is not on my "most wanted" list of islands to visit. <BR> <BR>I would eventually like to go to Hawaii but since there are so many places in the Caribbean and the Bahamas which interest me and are so much cheaper and easier to get to, they are my first priorites. <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 10:24 AM
Jenelle

The incident occurred around 9:00pm as we were walking from our hotel (Outrigger Hobron) to the main strip (Kalakaua(?) Blvd.). We were simply crossing the in front of the vehicle in which there were 4 local young men who were waiting at a red light. When we crossed in front of their car, they started yelling comments ("Haole crap" is what I heard first, then "white boy" etc.) but we just kept walking. When the light turned green, they drove up next to us and they all got out and just started beating up my husband. So after I ran and called the police, I thought for sure they would do something about it, but their response was belittling and unprofessional. They thought it was funny. <BR> <BR>I think that Hawaii is a beautiful place, and we enjoyed the rest of our time there, but I cringe a little when I hear people saying how safe Hawaii is. Waikiki is a huge city, and you have to be aware just as you would be in any big city. Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean nothing bad can happen. <BR> <BR>We did learn another lesson as well. When we go on vacation we now research the location of the hotel in relation to the "strip" or main part of town so that if we want to walk around, we will always be in the middle of everything. The hotel we stayed at in Waikiki was near one end of the strip and down a side street. From now on, we will always make sure we are in the middle. There were a lot of prostitutes and generally unsavory types of people hanging around the end of the strip where our hotel was located. I also think that people don't expect to see this type of thing in "paradise" but it's there. So I just want to say I think Hawaii is beautiful but it definitely is not an exception to crime and prejudice so in my opinion is still is not the ideal vacation spot.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 10:24 AM
Jenelle

The incident occurred around 9:00pm as we were walking from our hotel (Outrigger Hobron) to the main strip (Kalakaua(?) Blvd.). We were simply crossing the in front of the vehicle in which there were 4 local young men who were waiting at a red light. When we crossed in front of their car, they started yelling comments ("Haole crap" is what I heard first, then "white boy" etc.) but we just kept walking. When the light turned green, they drove up next to us and they all got out and just started beating up my husband. So after I ran and called the police, I thought for sure they would do something about it, but their response was belittling and unprofessional. They thought it was funny. <BR> <BR>I think that Hawaii is a beautiful place, and we enjoyed the rest of our time there, but I cringe a little when I hear people saying how safe Hawaii is. Waikiki is a huge city, and you have to be aware just as you would be in any big city. Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean nothing bad can happen. <BR> <BR>We did learn another lesson as well. When we go on vacation we now research the location of the hotel in relation to the "strip" or main part of town so that if we want to walk around, we will always be in the middle of everything. The hotel we stayed at in Waikiki was near one end of the strip and down a side street. From now on, we will always make sure we are in the middle. There were a lot of prostitutes and generally unsavory types of people hanging around the end of the strip where our hotel was located. I also think that people don't expect to see this type of thing in "paradise" but it's there. So I just want to say I think Hawaii is beautiful but it definitely is not an exception to crime and prejudice so in my opinion, it still is not the ideal vacation spot.

Old Jul 14th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Decent Tropical

Thank you for replying. I'm really sorry to hear that you had such a horrible experience. I think you have a good attitude about it, not allowing to distort your overall opinion of Hawaii. <BR> <BR>I hope you will only have positive travel expreiences in the future.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:32 PM
Michele

I live on the west coast and would pick Jamaica over Hawaii anytime. When I go on vacation I don't wan't to see throngs of people or fast food joints. As far as the crime is concerned, if you feel worried there you really, and I mean this sincerely, should stay somewhere domestic for your own peace of mind.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 07:59 AM
fanny

I agree with Bonnie. Jamaica has become a scary place to travel. The Jamaicans have tired of tourists and are not afraid to steal and don't care about the service they offer. Too bad for them. I like to travel where I can trust the people.

Old Jul 31st, 1999, 10:27 PM
Decent Tropical

Michele: <BR> <BR>Hawaii consists of over seven islands. You have described only parts of it such as Honolulu.

Old Aug 1st, 1999, 02:56 AM
june

<BR>The poster just previous to this (Decent) has a good point about the Hawaiian islands, and the same can be said of the Caribbean islands which include an even greater number. Don't let a high crime rate or excessively commercial and crowded atmosphere on some islands give ALL of them a bad rep!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -