Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which restaurant is better on St. Kitts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2007, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Which restaurant would you recommend and why? Ottleys or Rawlings?
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:12 AM

I stopped in at both but only ate at Ottley's last November when visiting St. Kitts. Both are lovely and feel gracious.

I was mildly disappointed with our special night at Ottley's and found it lacking in comparison with our night out at Montpelier on Nevis the previous year. It could be that we had an off night, as most people have nothing but raves for Ottleys. Our service was friendly but they made an awful lot of mistakes throughout the night in terms of what we ordered and what we were served.

I was sorry that we hadn't chosen Serendipity for our special meal, a place that lacks the ambiance of an Ottleys but where the food and the service do seem to get consistent praise. I would still recommend Ottleys as a beautiful location for a nice meal, though, despite our experience.
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Been to both but should point out that Rawlings changed hands about a year ago and I haven't dined there since the change so I don't know if my comments are accurate.

We always enjoyed the West Indian Buffet lunch at Rawlings (taken friends there 5 or 6 times). The setting is nice, the food quite tasty and we like the relaxed pace of having a leisurly lunch while touring the island.

We've eaten dinner at Ottley's a couple of time and have to agree with ejcrowe that while it was good, it certainly wasn't on the same level as Montpelier but since that's on Nevis and you are asking about St. Kitts so that info doen't really help you.

Basicall, I think Rawlings and Ottleys are comparable places and while you won't be disappointed with either you won't be "wowed".
Old May 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM

We had a fab experience at Ottleys and crappy at Rawlins. All the luck of the draw I guess. However, did also have a superb meal at Marshalls and at the Italian restaurant at the Marriott - can't remember the name.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:29 PM
iw

We are going on our 3rd trip to St. Kitts in a month. Wo hoo! Anyway, I have visited Ottley's and was not impressed by the welcome, so we did not eat there, so I can't address the food situation.

We have been to Serendipity for the last 2 years and have been amazed by the food and the service. A definite thumbs up!
We also like Marshall's, which is poolside dining. I like their food a lot and I am a food snob, as I cook a lot at home.
We ate at La Cucina, the Italian restaurant at the Marriott during our first trip, and there were 8-10 people in our party and none of us would go back. Background info: None of us knew one another and met on a sunset snorkel sail and met there for dinner.

Good luck!
I also recomment Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack for a fun and laid back experience!
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:33 AM

I did an inspection of Ottley's but didn't stay for dinner.

I have eaten at Serendipity's and loved it. The presentation of food was fabulous, service was excellent and food was delicious! Highly recommend it.

You can read other reviews at www.myislands.myeyez.net

Old May 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Serendipty or Marshalls. At the marriott - I believe the seafood restaurant is called Blu - that was very good. All other restaurants at Marriott only mediocre to good. However, the italian Il Cucino - not good except for antipasto bar.