Which is nicer, St. John or St. Thomas?

Jul 30th, 1999, 11:04 AM
fanny

Which is nicer, St. John or St. Thomas?

We are debating between St. John at the Westin and St. Thomas as the Wyndham. Is it easy to get back and forth from each place?

Jul 30th, 1999, 01:34 PM
Marianna

ST. JOHN, ST. JOHN, ST. JOHN!!! I can't stress this enough! St. John is 100% nicer than St. Thomas. I was just there this past May. It is very easy to get back and forth between the islands, so if it's a day of shopping you want in St. Thomas, it doesn't take you very long to get there if your staying on St. John. If you do plan on going to St. John, I would recommend renting a villa or condo vs. the Westin. You'll have more space and it will less expensive in the long run. Email me directly if you want recommendations on where to stay. I really can't stress how much nicer St. John is than St. Thomas. The beaches can't compare and St. John has so many to choose from. Good luck.

Jul 31st, 1999, 06:26 PM
Parrot Mom

After spendng a week at the Wyndom in February the answer is clear--go to St. John's...it's gorgeous and no traffic jams. You can always go over to St.Thomas for the day by ferry if you must... I think there is a ferry that goes directly to CA instead of Red Hook and it's a lovely ride over..

Aug 1st, 1999, 07:09 AM
Louis

I agree. The only reason to go to St. Thomas as far as we are concerned is to get to someplace else.

Aug 1st, 1999, 05:39 PM
Karen

Definately check out Secret Harbour on St. Thomas as an alternate. The Westin, although a beautiful property, does not measure up to its reputation and the beach there is woeful!!! It is unfortunate that people want an American chain hotel that is a cookie-cutter of every other Westin ... aside from the tiny rooms and man-made beach! I definately would not do all-inclusive at Sugar Bay. The prices rise considerablely as one takes that 15 minute ferry ride ... yes, it is easy to get back and forth ... and you can enjoy both islands! Frankly, those who put down St. Thomas know little of what they speak ... there are some great places, wonderful restaurants and great beaches there if you know where to go! ... although different from St. John (and it is St. John ... not St. John's which is the capital of Antigua) which has fewer options than the larger STT.

Aug 2nd, 1999, 03:21 AM
Jim

Like you really need another person to vote for St. John, but I will. St. Thomas has some very nice beaches, more nightlife, certainly more shopping, a golf course, and more choices for dinner. However, for me, St. John is the clear choice. It is a 20 minute ferry ride from Red Hook (east end of St. Thomas) to Cruz Bay (St. John), or a 45 minute ferry ride from Cruz Bay to Charlotte Amalie (downtown St. Thomas where all the shops are).

What most people like about St. John (vs. St. Thomas) is that it is much less crowded, no traffic, much more laid back, and easier to get around. There are no fast food restaurants on St. John (one exception is a Subway sandwich shop opening up in Cruz Bay), but there are many on St. Thomas. There are no traffic lights on St. John. There are only 3,500 full time residents on St. John.

The beaches are tremendous for several reasons. One, they are beautiful, two, they are mostly uncrowded.

I agree completely with Marianna - rent a private villa vs. staying in the Westin.

- Jim

Aug 2nd, 1999, 08:13 AM
Lisa

I just returned from a week at the Wyndam. I enjoyed the hotel and would highly recommend it. The view from my room was amazing.I also went to St. John twice and enjoyed the beautiful beaches. It is easy to catch a boat between the islands since Red hook is a 5 min. drive from the resort.Pick the island which suits you the most,St. Thomas the more built-up island or St. John the more laid back, and then visit the other island. Both islands are wonderful.

Aug 4th, 1999, 11:22 AM
Kimberley Rowe

My husband and I just got back from St. Thomas last May. We stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay. It was wonderful! The nice part was that it is an all inclusive resort-everything included. We also took the ferry to St. John and the beaches there are more beautiful than at St. Thomas. Yet, it was no hassle at all to take the ferry. Also, the view from our room was great;the pools were always very cold and refreshing;the breakfast was GREAT (if you go, try their "made to please" omlet).

Aug 4th, 1999, 10:51 PM
Ted

The plain fact of the matter is that BOTH islands are slummy and downtrodden!!!

Aug 4th, 1999, 11:52 PM
Decent Tropical

You are the first person I have heard say that about St. John.

My guess is that the only islands you like are one or more of the following, which are supposed to be quite upscale, some of them even elitist:

Anguilla

St. Barths

Cayman Islands

BVI

Am I correct?

Aug 5th, 1999, 06:34 AM
Harriett

Decent Tropical..you just seem to turn up constantly like a bad penny! Why give information based on heresay when we have people on this board giving advice from actual experiences?

Aug 5th, 1999, 08:42 PM
Marty

To: Ted

Wow. Sounds like you're not a fan of the islands. Care to elaborate?

I live here and spend my time equally between the two. They both have their good points, and a $3 ferry ride between them makes it very easy to do so.

Anyone else think that they aren't a good place to spend your vacation? I'm interested in hearing about your experiences.

Aug 5th, 1999, 09:27 PM
ted

It's simply my own personal judgment call which I think is quite valid: I did not find either island beautiful in any way, shape or form -- PERIOD!!

(Note to INdecent Tropical: DROP DEAD!!!)

Aug 6th, 1999, 05:10 AM
sandy

Ouch and ouch again!! I think that if people are going to be rude and inconsiderate of others opinions, don't participate on this forum.

Fanny: Don't let the ugliness of those responding to your posting deter you from going to either island. In my plain opinion, both islands are nice but my vote would be to stay on St. John. It's quiter, cleaner more remote than St. Thomas. 3/4 of the island is protected from development by the government, so there is a natural beauty about it. Good luck and have fun.

Aug 6th, 1999, 06:30 AM
AmyJ

My husband and stepkids and I stayed at the Wyndham last November. It was nice, but I don't think I would go back there. Take a look at my review of it at www.spamtravels.com

Aug 7th, 1999, 06:22 PM
Karen

The interesting thing about the post by Ted is that he offers no explaination ... just a big "bash" of STT/STJ. Everyone has his/her own style ... some like the commericalized, manicured, sterillized, Americanized cookie-cutter-like spots; some love the all-inclusive where one might not be able to tell what island they are on as they all look and act alike no matter what island; others, love cruising and think that seeing the Carrib with 2000 intimate friends is the only way to go; maybe jeeping about is a choice or partying all night and sleeping it off the next day ... good for all of them! If we all loved the same spot, that island would definately sink or we could never get a reservation! So, unless one backs up his/her critique with some hard facts and comparisons, think that a post like that deserves little more than a passing click and certainly little attention! Last I heard, St. John ranks right up there with many of the BVI and other so called "elitist" islands! Having been to most of them, I continue to return to the USVI!

Oct 24th, 1999, 02:34 PM
pam

www.caribbean-on-line.com

Oct 24th, 1999, 02:37 PM
pam

Just for the record - St. John is NOT downtrodden & Tortola & Jost Von Dyke are hardly elitist. i would not consider anywhere you can bare bones camp elitist...

Oct 24th, 1999, 06:59 PM
myrna

Yes it's easy getting back and forth between St. Thomas and St. John. You should do just that. Stay on St. John and visit St. Thomas by ferry if need to. St. John has it hands down!!!!

Nov 13th, 1999, 02:32 PM
Joel

Fanny, you've received some good into from others. I've been to both and the BVI, also. Me, I prefer St. Thomas only because of Point Pleasant Resort. The property used to be a botanical garden and they have pretty well preserved the same ambiance. Great views to the East which include other islands. Nice privacy. They give you a car for a half day whenever you sign up for one. No extra charge.
If I were to make an argument for another island, it would be for Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. It's part of the Virgin Islands and just a short ferry ride from St. Thomas. Much more laid back and not so commercial. Please consider it. Many nice hotel/resorts. All 3 stories or less by law. Much more nature, much more friendliness, much more low-key, much less crime.
Joel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO