Which Four Seasons? Nevis, Bahamas or Mexico

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Four Seasons? Nevis, Bahamas or Mexico

For tropical, languid atmosphere, scenic golf, calm ocean/sea water, uncrowded beach, beautiful sunsets, above average food, other island activities, which Four Seasons -- Nevis, Bahamas or Mexico?
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM

Four Seasons Nevis is hard to beat! It has all of the qualities you mentioned! Plus the service is fabulous! There is a reason it is the only 5-star resort in the Caribbean!
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Agree about 4S Nevis - it has everything you want in terms of athmosphere, wonderful sunsets, uncrowded palm tree lined beach, a challenging golf course with some of the best views in the Caribbean plus the island itself is very lush and has numberous wonderful restaurants.

4S Exuma is gaining an excellent reputation but if you are planning to visit in winter you should know it can be a bit cool at that time of the year. Also, the resort is located on the eastern side of the island so your sunset views will be virtually non-existent. The beach at the resort is probably the "best" of the places you are considering - white sand lapped by calm, clear bright torquoise blue waters however the island itself is rather arid and scrubby. The 4S landscaping, however, gives the resort a tropical feel. I'm not really sure about off-resort dining options so you'd have to get that information elsewhere.

When you refer to the 4S in Mexico I assume you mean the one at Punta Mita rather than in Mexico City. If so, the resort has an exceptional golf course with views of the Pacific ocean. The beach is above average, long but not overly wide. The area surrounding the resort is arid and scubby so the only lushness you'll see it the resorts own landscaping (which is quite extensive). The food is very good and you can drive to PV for access to lots more dining options. The resort faces west so you'll have a clear view of the setting sun.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.; very helpful. We've considered all three resorts but have focused primarly on Nevis. However, it (hotel + air fare) is the most most expensive. I don't mind spending money as long as I feel I'm getting my money's worth (a subjective concept, I know), so I'm trying to collect as much information from the resorts' former visitors as I can. Any more former visitors out there? Keep the info. coming.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 06:56 AM

You will probably get 10 more of us telling you to go to Nevis. You will get your money's worth no matter how you choose to play. Plan to take the ferry over to St.Kitts one day, as well.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 12:39 PM

haven't been to Nevis or Bahamas, but have been to Punta Mita. If you're looking for gorgeous sunsets, you can't top the Mexcian Pacific! Really unbelievably gorgeous; the whole resort is great, and meets your qualifications.
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM

I'm probably one of the few people who will post who were not at all impressed with our stay at Four Seasons Nevis.

Loved the island and everything about it, but found the FS to be over-priced, food mediocre, and the guests pretentious (the staff was super).

We have been back to the island since and stayed somewhere that was half the price that we enjoyed twice as much.

Old Dec 16th, 2006, 01:23 PM
iw

Diana,
As a fan of Nevis, I would love to know where you stayed on your second trip. We toured 4S and while the rooms were lovely, they didn't seem worth the price. Honestly, the upgraded room at the Marriott in St. Kitts, was just as nice as far as appearance went. (imho)
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Hi - I'm planning a quick two-night jaunt to basically escape the cold in Feb and have narrowed down my choices to the Four Seasons Nevis and the Ritz Carlton St. Thomas.

Which place would be the best for the warmest waters, undisturbed (i.e. no local vendors, etc.) loafing at the beach, and maybe a spa treatment or two? Thanks!!
Old Dec 16th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Hi jw,

We have stayed at Montpelier, at Oualie Beach and in a private villa. All three of those places were much more enjoyable than FS.

rdlao7,

No offense, but I would not go anywhere for just two days. As expensive and time-consuming as it is to get to the islands, you will spend so much time traveling, you will have no time to enjoy the trip. That having been said, it is generally much easier/faster to get to STT.

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 06:42 AM

To Radlao7 - I agree with Diana - skip going to 4S Nevis until you have more time. You'll spend the better part of one day getting there (not sure where you are coming from but the very earliest you could get there from the US is around 3:30PM and 5:00 PM if you can make the early connecting flight out of San Juan. You'll then need a day to fly back. You are better off going somewhere you can reach non-stop from the international gateway airport closest to your home.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM

I have been to all 3 FS you mentioned. Nevis, twice, great Exuma,twice and Punta Mita, once. I to would agree that Nevis is the best for lushness, food, and touring for a half a day seeing nature. It is not as lush as St. Lucia but Punta Mita is as said barren and the immediate area outside FS-Exuma is not that attractive. At Exuma and Punta Mita you are 45 minutes away ($75 RT Taxi) from any other town and sightseeing or shopping if interested. While all three do Not offer decent easily accessible snorkeling tours Nevis is the best of the 3 if you want to do that.Quite is not any of the FS's you mentioned. You will find children from 1-10 at all but in our experience a few less at Punta Mita. We hit Exuma were the hotel told us there were about 75 children but we were fortunate for the prior week there were about 140, so he said. As for food Exuma food was terrible on our first visit (Gen. Mgr. had to comp us 5 days of 8 for food). He said there was going to be big changes, yet 3 years later it was only fair at high prices and the nearest local places were not accessible.Punta Mita had good food in 2004 but Nevis had very good food on one visit and exceptional food on our other visit.
It is true the Punta Mita's beach is the most attractive but most folks like to socialize around the pool.
I suppose one criteria of Exuma is it is always on Luxury Link and Punta Mita is infrequently and Nevis I have never personally seen when I check every 3-4 weeks. That tells you something, I think.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
iw

scoutjewel...If you choose Nevis, I highly recommend Oualie Beach for dinner or lunch and Coconut Grove for excellent meals. I also would suggest, as an earlier poster did, to go to St.Kitts for the day. It, too, is a wonderful island.
Nevis is very lush and quiet and just beautiful with wonderful people to help.
While we were touring the 4S, the guy that led us around was very nice and helpful. The golf course is super!

Diana...Thanks for the info. We have stayed at Oualie in the premiere room twice, and I feel like I am going "home" when I get there, as everyone from reception to the restaurant knows and remembers your name! That is a big plus!! I even e-mail Jason and Vaden to keep them posted on websites for their children, as I am a teacher.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Intelligent observation about the resorts' appearances on luxurylink. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks.

I think that I've decided to go to Nevis. I imagine that we will spend our time during the day lounging at the beach (everyday), playing golf (one day), visiting St. Kitts (one day), catamaran/snorkle trip (maybe), and hiking (maybe). We really don't require a lot of action at night; we mostly look forward to trying various beach bars and restaurants and enjoying beautiful sunsets.

However, as a result of info. collected, am debating between 4Seasons and Nisbet. Not as much price difference as I was hoping for ($500 total), but that amount would pay for golf at 4 Seasons and some meals. Any reason to pick one over the other?
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 01:01 PM

I would rather stay at nisbet than FS actually. I like smaller properties and I like the beach at nisbet. The FS has more to do on the property, but I just like the feel of nisbet better. For the cost difference i would chose nisbet , plus the FS food is expensive and its not great. Its fine and I have eaten there a ton of times, but you will spend a lot more eating lunch / breakfast there during your stay. Plus I like nisbet because it is a plantation and historic site, makes it interesting.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 02:59 PM

iw, They are just great there at OB, aren't they? I wish I had $1 for every drink we've had at the bar. I could pay for a trip! That was the first place I ever tried Jack Iron. Whoo.

Another vote for Nisbet over FS. I have not stayed at Nisbet (yet), but have dined there several times and (As MIM mentioned) the food was far superior to FS.

Nisbet has TONS more personality too. The guests are also more likely to be "old money" at Nisbet, so not as apt to sit around the pool trying to one-up each other.

Have a great time!
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 03:02 PM

I would absolutely stay at the FS.
- The outdoor space is beautiful. The beach is pristine and the swimming pools are naturally wonderful.
- You are right there to play golf.
-The rooms are much nicer than Nisbet's and the terrace's have great outdoor furniture and even the mountain view rooms are breathtaking.
-You can do a breakfast meal plan and do the big buffet and save money. The breakfasts are very good. I recommend that you eat your dinners out anyway as there are just too many unique restaurants on the island that you don't want to pass up.
-The arrival/departure goes so smoothly
-The staff is a pleasure to be around
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM

On our last visit to FS-Nevis we took the MAP meal plan for 5 days (it does bring the cost down for wonderful food) and the last 3 off the meal plan. We probably saved $250 by doing that but only found 1 resturant with food as good as FS but at 50-60% the price of an ala carte dinner at FS.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:30 AM

scoutjewel,

in your $500 price difference, did you include the meals and gratuities? Nisbet's MAP gives you full b'fast, afternoon tea, and 5 course dinner every day AND includes chanber maid and food server gratuities (which you can add to for exceptional service) Just to make sure you're comparing apples to apples...
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:58 AM

We visited Nisbet while on Nevis and weren't impressed at all. If you're going to trek all the way to Nevis, why not stay at the BEST resort on the island? It is worth the extra money. Not only do you get Four Seasons caliber service, but the food was absolutely divine (and I am a true food snob!) I will say, however, that you should take one night to eat off the resort at Montpelier up in the hills - truly a special experience. It is like being a guest at someone's home. Princess Diana liked to rent out the whole place for herself and her boys.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information