Which Caribbean Islands have consistent wifi?

Old May 5th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Caribbean Islands have consistent wifi?

Which Caribbean Islands have consistent wifi? Have heard that Grand Cayman is among most consistent. Any idea for Great Exuma, Bahamas? Are there other islands where it is consistent? Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2019, 05:18 AM

Choosing a Caribbean based on the consistency and reliability of Internet service (whether it be for a short vacation or if you are planning to relocate there for an extended period) is a crap-shoot at best. Some islands will have better infrastructure and "consistent" internet service but speeds can be quite slow. Others will have higher speeds but service could be sporadic. Some islands will have decent service in the main cities but poor service in the outlying areas. Generally speaking the larger and/or more populated islands like Puerto Rico, Trinidad, Jamaica Bermuda, Nassau will have better service while smaller islands like the BVI's, Nevis, St. Kitts, the Bahamas Out-Islands will have less reliable/slower service.

That covers "Internet Service" As for WiFi on just about every island you'll find lots of places such as restaurants, beach bars, resorts, rental homes, businesses, etc. that offer WiFi but the actual service and speeds can vary a great deal. and are subject to the limitations described above. Take it from someone who lived in the Caribbean for 15+ years - no matter where you go you will almost always experience internet service outages and/or slow speeds at some point or another. Simply put, internet service is nowhere near as good as on the US mainland, Europe or other major countries. Same goes for Landline and cell phone service.
Old May 6th, 2019, 06:18 AM

The further you get from population centers, the less consistent any service will be. So you'll find plenty of service in San Juan, Nassau, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, and parts of Jamaica. Less so on remote islands like Great Exuma.
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:46 AM

Bermuda was tagged to this post. Technically, Bermuda is not in the Caribbean.
Old May 7th, 2019, 09:32 AM

Turks & Caicos has always had great service !
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!

Appreciate the responses
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 04:04 AM

Nassau has definitely consistent wifi
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 07:08 AM

Fair comment about outlying areas especially in the mountains but I can only talk about St. Lucia. I have owned a property there on Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay for over fifteen years and my WiFi signal there is excellent. I stay there for a month every year and in my absence I have never had a complaint from guests who stay there. I watch Netlix and do other streaming.