Reload this Page >

Where to stay on St. John??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:19 AM
Sarah

We are going on our honeymoon in June and are looking at the Westin and Caneel Bay in St. John. Has anyone stayed at either of these places or both?? Which do you reccommend? <BR>Thanks!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:06 AM
Patrick

Go with the Westin Caneel is over priced for what you get. We go to St. John at least 1 time a week and almost always stay at the Westin

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 08:47 AM
sarah

Patrick, <BR>Thanks for responding. What type of room did you stay in at the Westin? How is the food?<BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:10 AM
Julie

I would pick Caneel over the Westin for your honeymoon. While it is pricier than the Westin, in June you will be able to take advantage of the off-season rates. <BR>My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Caneel in June 2000 and really enjoyed it. You really feel like you are getting away from it all. Very relaxing and the beaches are beautiful. <BR>We went back to Caneel in June 2001 for our first anniversary. We spent one night at the Westin as a comparison. It was pretty disappointing. The beach is manmade and the resort is centered around a big pool. Fun for families, but not a great honeymoon spot.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:19 AM
Karen

Of the two I would definitely choose Caneel. The Westin has more of a "hotel" feel and you will need to commute to the beaches since the Westin's pales in comparison to St. John beaches. Just for the proximity to the beaches (all 7 of 'em at Caneel) I would choose to stay there. No TV's, no phones, no glitz or glamour but those beaches ... but you pay for 'em! If you don't mind the jeeping about, trekking to beaches and can give up some of the hotel/resort amenities (restaurant on premises, room service, daily maid service, activity coordination, etc) you might want to think about a villa. It is a good option that many enjoy on St. John.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:20 AM
Sarah

Thanks,Julie!<BR>I got the same feeling by looking at the two web-sites. Can you tell me anything else about Caneel Bay? <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:21 AM
Julie

No matter where you stay, be sure to have some dinners in Cruz Bay. Lots of very good restaurants to choose from and in a variety of price ranges.

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:34 AM
Julie

Sarah:<BR>While the beaches at Caneel are beautiful, keep in mind that Caneel is NOT "luxurious" in the way that say a Ritz Carlton is luxurious. The rooms are simply furnished. What makes it luxurious is that you feel like you are getting away from daily life -- no tvs, phones, etc. in the rooms -- and no matter what beach you go on at Caneel (Turtle and Honeymoon are our favorites!) you feel like you have them all to yourself.<BR>Caneel has non-motorized watersports -- kayaks, sailboats, windsurfers -- and provides snorkeling gear, floats, beach towels and beach chairs. <BR>As far as the food at Caneel , I can't tell you too much because in two visits there, my husband and I did not have one dinner there. We meant to but we really loved going into Cruz Bay at night (which is a short taxi ride away - $2.50 pp)and trying out the different restaurants. We did try the breakfast buffet and lunch buffet. Both good. There is also a nice outdoor complimentary continental breakfast.<BR>The negatives:<BR>-The staff at times can be less than cordial. Especially the guy who works at the snorkel gear hut by Caneel beach. He was still there the 2nd time we were at Caneel! However, overall everyone there is very nice. You just have to remember that people down there are on "island time". We are from the NYC area so we are used to service at a quicker pace.<BR>-Another negative is there is no place at Caneel to get a reasonable meal. Lunch at the bar consisting of a burger, a salad and two drinks came to $40!<BR><BR>Some Cruz Bay restaurant recommendations: <BR>Expensive - Asolare, Stone Terrace, La Tapas<BR>Chateau Bordeaux (not in Cruz Bay). <BR>Moderate - Morgan's Mango, Cafe Roma, Also, For happy hour, Woody's.<BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Where ever you stay, you will love St. John!

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
chazz

If you can afford Caneel, stay there.<BR>One main reason: the water at the Westin is murky and I would not want to swim there.<BR>Caneel has several beaches with clear water.<BR>There are, of course, other nice beaches on the island that you can drive to.<BR>

Old Jan 23rd, 2002, 05:33 PM
candace

If you're going on your honeymoon in June, you may want to consider Bermuda vs. St. Johns. I've been to both (Caneel is better that the Westin - too many kids splashing around in the pool- no privacy for honeymooners). In June, you may be dealing with the "noseeums" (alias gnats and bugs) in St. John - Bermuda would be lovely in June (btw, 75% of the tourists on Bermuda are repeat visitors; what does that tell you?). Check it out

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 06:19 AM
Julie

Bermuda would be another great choice.<BR>Beautiful island and the weather is great there in June.<BR>Horseshoe Beach is beautiful.<BR>There are a lot of very nice resorts.

Old Jan 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
chris

Sarah go with Caneel Bay. My wife and I stayed there on our honeymoon late last May. You will get plenty of bang for your buck at that time of year and the service is excellent despite what any of these sometimes cranky posters say. I travel often and the portfolio of dining and activity choices make this place the obvious choice. Do not get the meal plan as the dining choices in Cruz Bay are many and you will be too busy to eat every meal. The Westin is a chain hotel and alot is lost on the chain mentality. Caneel is an experience and the character of the place is awesome for a honeymoon. Bring your wallet its not cheap but worth it. You only have one honeymoon.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Jason

come on, how murky can the water be at the Westin???? cant be that bad. Its St. Johns, and the Caribbean! I am sure it is still clear, probably just not as clear as other beaches on the island. correct?

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:00 AM
chazz

Jason -<BR><BR>Believe it or not, it actually is murky.<BR>During our trip a few weeks ago, we visited 4 beaches on St. Thomas, 4 on St. John, 2 on Tortola, and 2 on Jost Van Dyke. The one at the Westin is the only one where I would not want to swim.<BR><BR>I know from past trips that water clarity can vary depending on conditions. However, the bay at the Westin is very sheltered and calm, so I don't think that was the problem. Also, I have seen several other comments on the Internet about the same issue at the Westin.<BR><BR>That said, I will add that the Westin is a very attractive property with probably the best pool on the island. I've heard that they have been offering rooms at deep discounts recently, if you don't go during a peak (holiday) week. There are so few places to stay on St. John, I wouldn't rule out staying at the Westin if the price is right, sitting on the beach, swimming in the pool, and going to other spots on St. John for swimming and snorkeling.<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:23 AM
suzy-q

The Westin's beach is a manmade one that is a filled in swamp. There are many boats that people live on in the bay. The boats do not go to open water to empty the holding tanks if they have them and there are no dumping stations. Enuf said.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Julie

While Chris may have found the service excellent, plenty of people have encountered problems at Caneel and I would rather make other people aware of the good AND the not so good before they book an expensive trip, especially their honeymoon. I certainly appreciated all the input I got from this forum and others before I planned mine.<BR>Caneel has had customer service issues in the last several years. I have to say, we saw a noticable improvement from when we were there in 2000 to when we returned in 2001, which may be why Chris did not encounter any service problems. <BR>Enjoy!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:40 AM
trish

We just returned from a week at the Westin, and while we went to other beaches almost every day, we spent the first day on the beach at the Westin.<BR>Is the water as clear as other places on the island-no. However, it is far from being un-swimmable!! Really, it is perfectly fine to swim/lay on a raft.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:49 PM
stan

Murky or not, I got a room for $70 a night at the Westin in July. I will use the extra dough to rent a jeep, eat at the best restaurants, and live the high life. Compare that to the $600 a day you pay at Can$$l Bay.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 06:26 PM
jan

Believe me, you will not swim in the bay water at the Westin. The locals will tell you they wouldn't swim there and for good reason. Some "boats" have been anchored there for a good while and where does their sewage go?? Referred to as "tootsie roll bay". You will travel to another beach.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 10:38 PM
aaa

If StJohn is known for it's national park system which protects the environment, how is it that they allow boats to pollute?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -