Where to stay in New Providence Island

Jan 30th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Where to stay in New Providence Island

Hi. I've read some good things about Westwind II and the Orangehill Inn. We are a family of 5 travelling to Nassau this August. We are on a bit of budget and the kids want a little night life while the parents just want peace and quiet, a really clean and fresh bedroom and a lovely beach. What would you recommend? (Robert if you're out there, I really value your advice.) Thanks in advance.
Jan 30th, 2005, 11:52 PM

You might look into the Comfort Suites which is part of Atlantis, but with a better price tag. That way the kids will have full access to the Atlantis and all the water slides, lazy river, pools and the beach. You will have a bit of quiet at Comfort Suites, it's a bit more laid back than Atlantis and there is a lovely pool with swim-up bar.

Staying there you also have a complimentary breakfast which should save quite a bit of money. You can get less expensive lunches at Atlantis and close by at Hurricane Hole, a shopping center within walking distance.

You can also get a refrig in your room so you can get lunch things and drinks/milk/soda for your room as well.

Atlantis also has access to some condo accomodations and again it allows you full access to the complex.

Orange Hill is one of my favs on New Providence, but if the kids are looking for a bit of nite life, it's pretty dead there, except for the bar. There is a nice lounge area and there are games available. The food there is pretty good and mostly buffet, so you certainly won't go hungry. One night of the week there is also a BBQ which is fun. Orange Hill has a nice pool area and the beach is right across the street and is rarely busy.

The Jitney stops there to take you downtown Nassau to see the sites and to do some shopping.

Along the way is the Ardastra Zoo and Gardens and the kids would love visiting there, lots to see and do, and bring quarters to feed the birds.

Hope this helps some.
Jan 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

I very much appreciate the advice from wantsomesun. I've read some updates on the Comfort Suites which suggest some deterioration. But for the seclusion, Orange Hill sounds like the perfect place for us. Perhaps some more advisors will weigh in on this dilemma. Many thanks to wantsomesun for taking the time out to respond. Be well all and looking forward to more thoughts. What about Westwind II?
Jan 31st, 2005, 05:16 PM

We're staying at Orange Hill for 2 nights in early May before our week at Harborside (Atlantis). I looked into Westwind II, but wasn't that impressed with the reviews I read, and small pools. My dive shop stays at Orange Hill quite reg during their trips to Nassau, and everyone seems to love it's homey, laid back, quite style.
Feb 1st, 2005, 10:23 AM

There's a review on trip-advisor.com of
the Orange Hill that, IMO, doesn't leave one with a great desire to stay there.

Jim
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM

You might want to also look into renting a time share directly from an owner. This way you will have a kitchen and can cook some of your meals plus it will be roomier for a family of 5 (some hotels do not allow 5 people in a room).
Feb 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you (Jhender501) for the tip on trip advisor. What a shame, I had heard such nice things about Orangehill. That still leaves us with Westwind II, which is along the lines of Sara 1274's suggestion (time share from owner). Tripadvisor.com loves this place (Westwind II - rated #1), but I would really like to get some opinions from the Fodorites on this. Has anyone been there? Be well all.
Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:51 PM

Spiceroute; I stayed at the Orange Hill Inn, and enjoyed it. The view of the ocean from the grounds is nice, especially when a lightening storm rolls in; what a spectacular view. We watched the whole ocean light up. The Orange Hill Beach, at the foot of the driveway usually has only several people occupying it at best. Stuart Cove's snorkeling and diving operation makes frequent tours to the OHI to pick up and take back divers and snorkelers from South Ocean. So, your kids could do that several times. The jitney buses pass OHI on West Bay Street about every 45 minutes from 8:15am to just past 10 pm. If you stand on the beach side, across from the Orange Hill driveway and wave, the jitneys stop and pick you up. The No. 10 bus runs every 15 minutes from 7am to 7pm, so you could explore downtown Nassau and be delivered back. I snorkeled off the beach, which is typical conch shell and coral "rubble" and it was nice, although I snorkeled there in December and wore a wetsuit with comfort. The pool is nice, too. The managers also made daily grocery runs to Cable Beach or into downtown Nassau. So, you could shop with them for snacks or some main foodstuffs to grill on their outside grills, or just catch a ride into town. If your kids want nightlife, there are some clubs for the older teens. But, Nassau is a big city and there is a crime problem later on at night. That being said, the Hard Rock Cafe, Pirate Club, and Johnny Canoes would be fun for all of you. Inexpensive but nice food is to be had from Dominoes Pizza (They'll deliver & even have Conch Pizza/ have one down the road at Cable Beach:call 327-8000), downtown Sbarro's is really good, including fresh seafood, selections, McDonald's (Of course), and the Traveler's Rest Restaurant is within walking distance from OHI going further west on West Bay Street (We walked down to it on the beach). This restaurant has GREAT seafood meals for lunch and dinner; try the grouper and pidgeon peas & rice there. Hope this helps. Robert
Feb 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Dear Robert, thank you for your gracious and informative response. We so appreciated it. We are torn between the OHI and Westwind II. I'm thinking we might even rent a car for the week. Stuart's cove snorkelling sounds really great. I read a very upsetting review of OHI on tripadvisor.com (see jhender501's message above). To rationalize, the trip advisor fellow sounded a bit "picky" but . . . he was pretty strong in his criticism. Robert, when did you stay last and what did you think about the rooms being "fresh and clean"? Looking foward to hearing from you and any other Fodorites. Regard, Spiceroute
Feb 6th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Last time I stayed there was December-January 2002, although I've visited it for the afternoon "Happy Hour" and ate dinner there several times since. Teh New Years Eve dinner was great: for $28 I ate the Seafood Extravaganza with lobster, shrimp, conch and grilled fish served w/special rice, potato, potato salad, slaw & mango salsa. It included dessert of Banoffi Pie, Rum Cake, or Bahamian Guava Duff. Our rooms were cleaned each day, and the grounds were nice, full of banana, orange, mango and coconut trees. We ate from the trees, now and then (the Mgt. didn't seem to care). It isn't a luxury hotel, and the people are scuba and snorkelers, and others who just want a nice, clean, and comfortable place in-between exploring the island and downtown Nassau. The pool was nice and kept clean. The owners were gracious; I believe they were Irish or English (Can't remember which). People were friendly, both tourists and workers. However, I'm not your typical "picky" visitor to the Bahamas; my average view of satisfaction is probably wider on the acceptance scale than most tourists. The afternoon and evenings are nice in the lobby, which is very rustic with soul. Bahama Mama mix and other drinks, including beer, are available along with friendly conversation. People are mostly easy-going and relaxed at OHI, a homespun, mom & pop atmosphere. No complaints with the food, either. It was very good, and plentiful. Robert
Feb 7th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Dear Robert, thank you again for the wonderful feedback. Now will have to decide what to do. Be well and I'll let you know how we proceed. Many thanks, again. Spiceroute

Search this Thread