help me find the best mom-daughter carribean destination

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cozumel, Holguin, Varadero or other suggestion...
(trip with mom, 4 stars or +, all inclusive, good food/drinks, great snorkeling off beach, clear/calm blue water) Which resort? 900$ or less, last minute from Montreal, mid-february.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention... mom is 59 years old and daughter is 34.
I'm taking my mom on a trip for my 35th birthday...I want to thank her for raising me so well!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:56 AM

You will really enjoy Grenada with a range of beach resorts from 3-5-star where you will be able to snorkel off the beach - Grenada also has the world's 1st Underwater Sculpture Park which is great for snorkeling. Air Canada has direct flights during the winter months from Toronto. Grenada is a small island but it offers good variety in things to see and do - it is known as the 'Spice Island' and visits to spice plantations, spice gardens and spice processing stations are very popular; there is also the Grand Etang Rainforest to explore and activities include hiking, mountain-biking, river-tubing, pirate's cruise ship, day sails and sunset cruises, etc. The island also has a range of beautiful beaches which are great for swimming and relaxing. Entertainment includes a Fish Friday Festival as well as a few nightclubs. Take a look at the tourist board's website for more ideas of where to stay and what to do whilst on island ... www.grenadagrenadines.com.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:36 AM

$900 or less per person? Including airfare? How many nights?
FYI $900 doesn't go very far in the Caribbean, most 4 stars and + are more like $900 a night!

You may want to consider a cruise. You do have to pay for drinks on them though, but they do include your food.

You can probably get some decent pretty places for your budget, just tell us more.

Really nice to thank your mom that way!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:37 AM

Also, you're going peak season to Caribbean, when everything costs more. You'll get more out of your money after May.

Mid-February is President's Day weekend and very popular in the Caribbean.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:10 AM

www.bookit.com

www.cheapcaribbean.com

in your price range pretty low for AI package in high season

Jamaica,DR or Playa del Carmen your best bet...

Happy Hunting,
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Blamona, I don't know where you are from and what type of traveling you do, no offense but 4+ stars in Cuba and Mexico right now, from where I live, goes for about 950$ tax included for 7 days, all inclusive with good ratings. Last minute are much cheaper than regular... So please, before sending out your comment, do some research as it could potentially be very misleading for unaware travelers. I'm just trying to find the greatest place to treat my mom well with what I can afford.

Thanks Suzy Mason, Grenada sounds very nice! I'll look into it right away.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:54 AM

nathalika, no offense taken, but before you lecture me on my response, I'll have you know I'm extremely well traveled especially in the Caribbean, including 1000s of posts helping travelers on this forum and Tripadvisor, I know what I'm saying. Being American I have not been to Cuba so I can't compare, but I have been to Mexico and about 85% of the rest of Caribbean, Belize, Costa Rica, etc.

A couple of points (so you're not mislead):

4+ stars in Caribbean is not like 4+ stars in Canada, so that you don't get mislead. Caribbean overall is an expensive destination, and you're going during peak season, and Caribbean ratings are not equal to Canadian/American ratings, so with all due respect, expect it reasonably to be close to a 2 star resort.

I asked if that was per person, or for both, makes a huge difference-why was that misleading? Even at per person you're not getting a 4 Star.

You want good snorkling? Of your choices you're going to have to stick to Mexico, the other places in your budget really aren't the snorkeling kind.

All Inclusive? Some islands are known for AIs more than others because they cater to the masses (and therefore can offer it). This limits your choices. Mexico, Dominican Republic and Cuba are you're best bests. Grenada is not a typical AI type island, and realistically you're priced out anyway=the cheapest AI in Grenada will put you out $1500 with no airfare, leaving you $300 for 2 airfaires to Grenada? Ain't going to happen, more like $600 air per person to Grenada. Plus, while it's AI, it's not a true AI, with activities, multiple restaurants, etc you'd expect from an AI, it's a 2 star resort that gives you an option to include your drinks and meals.

Clear/calm blue water? You might get that, you might not. As an experienced traveler, I can tell you Feb. in entire Caribbean and Mexico experiences what is referred to as "Christmas Winds", causing swells and waves, no calmness. In general, if the US East Coast experiences crazy storms,which it seems to be a weather pattern lately, it will trickle down and cause these swells. Can you get a calm crystal clear day? Probably, but this time of year, expect it not to be as calm as it normally is.

For what you want for your money, Mexico is going to be your best bet. (Cuba and DR aren't the greatest snorkeling spots.) In Mexico, for your budget, you'll find the closest you're looking for. You may even want to venture out a little, technically not the Caribbean but Roatan should be a consideration. None will be 4 Stars in the Canadian sense, probably closer to a 2 Star. (So that you're not mislead, just because Cuba or Mexico labels it 4 Stars doesn't mean it's equal to 4 Star in Canada.)

All you had to do is click on my name to get an idea that I'm extremely experienced traveler, so much so that Fodors hired me to do numerous updates of their guidebooks. A little bit of research on your end you could have figure that out.

No need for me to research before answering you, I've personally been to more places than most people. I go to Caribbean about 4 times a year, and other places around the world in between. I have personally gone, I don't count on a glossy brochure or website to tell me 4 Star is not really a 4 Star at your budget.

I do think for what you're looking for in your price budget, Mexico is it.

Thank you for your advice, I wouldn't want to mislead you. ;-)
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 10:15 AM
KVR

nathalika, I would be interested in where you are finding 4+ star hotels in Mexico in February for $950 per person with air.

We having been traveling to Mexico; Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Riviera Maya for the last 10 years. Yes, I have found prices that low for 2 people with air, but they were not 4* hotels, it was only up to 5 nights and it wasn't in high season.

If you could please list the sites and names of the hotels you are finding in that price range I would be interested to know as I can not find anything like that on the sites I am familar with and if I could find something like that I would be interested in a return trip.

Same for the Caribbean. I personaly have never found anything for that price on any Island anytime of the year for the last 10 years and if you have found it I really need to know where as I have many more destinations we still want to see and with a price like that we could go 3-4 times a year instead of twice like we have been doing. Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM

WOW blamona, for someone so well "travelled" you're badly mis-informed, especially about scuba/snorkeling in Cuba.
Now, don't take my word for it, but how about a major article in that tome of Geographic knowledge.... National Geographic.
Here's the link to the article.

http://environment.nationalgeographi...fs.html#page=1

If the OP wants to consider Cuba, I'd suggest Breezes Jibacoa, midway between Varadero and Havana. It's fully AI, has a good beach, and a reef right off-shore for excellent snorkeling. Right now, a quick check of Bel-Air travel shows that for a Feb 12th departure, one week, all taxes included it can be had (double) for $2016.00 total. Slightly above the OP's budget, but a great resort for this price and that's with a quick internet search. It can be had for less with some shopping around.
And lastly, Cuba is MUCH safer than Mexico. Hotels aren't blowing up killing tourists, and there haven't been any murders either.

At least it's something for the OP to consider.

salud
Steve
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
KVR

Steve, thanks for the info as I am still waiting a reply to my question. However, we can not go to Cuba and was wondering if Breezes in Cuba is anything like the Breezes in Jamaica, Nassau or Curacao because those hotels are nowhere near 4* and I would not waste my precious money or time for a vacation at any of them. We've been to Mexico for 10 years in a row and to 13 Caribbean Islands. We have stayed in 14 AI resorts as well as several non-AI resorts. Breezes and the RIU's at the bottom of my hotel recommedation list no matter how much they are charging.
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Why is this post so snarky? And why is Blamona singled out for such rude treatment when all she did was offer personal knowledge based on her many years of travel experience in the Caribbean?!

As for the remarks above about Mexico, just not true. Most of the tourist areas like Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cabo, are safer than some major U.S. cities, and are hundreds of miles away from where any of the drug-related violence is taking place.

A gas explosion caused a hotel to blow up in Playa Del Carmen. It was a terrible accident and tragedy that could have happened anywhere in the world, not just in Mexico.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:24 AM

I was able to find on Air Transat Vacations (respected Montreal-based charter airline; I've had a number of friends take them) from Montreal to Melia Las Antillas (a stated 4-star) in Varadero, Cuba for the price range suggested in the OP's post (typing in February). There are 4 circles on Trip Advisor for Melia Las Antillas, and I read some good reviews, some bad. Whether this property is actually perceived as 4 stars in the eye of the beholder (who may or may not understand Caribbean vs. North American 4 stars) depends I suppose on the beholder.

http://www.transatholidays.com/EN/ho...las&EXITID=VRA

I wish I could help, Nathalika. I'll tell you I'm in love with Mexico after 2 trips there, but have never been to Cozumel... nor Cuba (the latter some friends have loved, others less so), so can't really comment. I hope someone pipes in who has been to both who can help.

Have a great time with your Mom!
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:38 AM

If you don't want people's educated opinions and responses, don't post a question on this board. Or simply say thank you and move on if you don't like what someone has said. Blamona was not the only person to suggest that $900 budget may be too low. It is low and that's a fact. Plus the OP hasn't even clarified if that is a per person limit.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 06:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
<Hotels aren't blowing up killing tourists, and there haven't been any murders either.>

Oh please. That's just trash talk and completely not true or helpful. The Mayan Riviera of Mexico is safe and welcoming for tourists, now and always has been. And would be the best bang for her buck wanting a reasonably nice AI with snorkeling at a low budget price.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 07:24 AM

Canadians being murdered in Mexico is "trash-talk?" Oh Please!!!!

http://mexicovacationawareness.com/victims.html

http://www.mexinada.com/canadiens-tu...xique/?lang=en

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/0...-canadian.html

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...deaths_060221/

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...icton-man.html

http://melanieavila.blogspot.com/201...in-ixtapa.html

Oh, and I'm not being snarky, but rather pointing out that some of the information presented simply isn't correct. And of course, I provide links to back up my comments. So when someone says my comments "aren't true" well I choose to link the information and let other forum participants read the relevant information and then make their own determination as to the verasity of what I say.

So when a poster states......"Cuba and DR aren't the greatest snorkeling spots" then also says in the same post.... "Being American I have not been to Cuba so I can't compare", I have to question on what basis a comment about Cuba's snorkeling could be determined? You see, because I have been Scuba diving in Cuba.

tranquilo,
Steve
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 07:45 AM

Sorry, Canuck, But being blown up in a gas explosion is not being murdered, much as you might want to believe it. And that's a fact.
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM

Canuck, you can technically snorkel on any island you want to, but even you as a diver knows some islands are known for better snorkeling than others. I answered the questions that were posted, which were off beach snorkeling, you attached an article from NG that's 50 miles off the coast and 60 feet deep, what does that have to do with off beach snorkeling?

As for your crime links, showing links from 2006 and 2008 doesn't help your cause. Showing links of deaths from the accidental blast or falling off a balcony doesn't help your cause. Showing crime in the West Coast when we're suggesting the Caribbean Coast is like saying don't go to Toronto because there's crime in Montreal.

I too have scubad-big difference between scuba and off beach snorkeling. No not in Cuba, but yes in Cozumel-a destination that has an excellent reputation for scuba in the world. Funny how Cuba doesn't have that reputation.

I'm not trying to knock Cuba, I'm jealous that I can't go and would love too-

BUT I was answering some questions as they were asked, 4+ resort (which Breezes is not), good off beach snorkeling (which Mexico has plenty) and I was attacked for my answer.

I completely stand by my answers. I didn't deserve to be lectured over them, absolutely no reason for that.

I didn't even knock Cuba. I disclosed my experiences in relation to her questions, and I got a lecture. I completely stand by $900 per person for air and AI does not a 4+ property make, regardless of the the glossy websites say.

I'm sure there's crime in Cuba too that we don't know about, since we aren't privy to that information.

So I ask this, why can't I pose questions, or post my experiences, and have to be attacked? I was trying to help and got a lecture instead, this is a forum based on opinions and experiences, I was writing about mine.
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone, thank you all for the multiple replies. Too bad things seems to have gotten out of hand for some.
I did go on my trip to Holguin, Cuba, Hotel Playa Pesquero 4.5*, 950$/cad per person, all-inclusive, taxe included from Montreal with Tour Mont Royal and it was awesome!!! A huge complexe with lots of walking but super safe with friendly people. We even forgot all our money and passport on our desk by mistake and all was there when we got back to the room. Snorkeling was great and the beach was beautiful. I loved Cuba!
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 01:36 PM

I'm so pleased you had a wonderful trip & found good snorkeling at the price you wanted, that's terrific! I hope your Mom enjoyed as much as you did!

I'd love to go to Cuba one of these days.

Best wishes, Daniel