In need of ideas! Please help

Aug 30th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

In need of ideas! Please help

My daughter will be turning 18 in January and Iíll be 38 in March. Iím looking to take her on a Mother/Daughter vacation between February & MarchÖ Probably somewhere in the Caribbean! Where we both have a great time. If anyone has any ideas where would be the best places to visit, please share!
I am open to a cruise or some Caribbean island ... anywhere thereís a beach and amazing excursions and activities! PLEASE HELP!!!
Thank you
Aug 30th, 2018, 07:38 AM

First, you should ask the moderators to move this thread to the Caribbean Forum if that's your main area of interest.

Second, the Caribbean covers a huge area with more than 1 million sq. miles and over 125 different islands and cays (if you add in the Bahamas the number jumps up to over 1,000) so when you say "somewhere in the Caribbean" that's like saying you want to visit "someplace in Europe or the US". It would help if you narrow down your search area a bit since no two islands are like and all have something different to offer.

Third, how old is your daughter and how long a trip are you planning?

Fourth, it would help greatly if you could give some idea of your budget for airfare, accommodations, food and activities. Try to give an actual dollar range rather than use some nebulous term like "affordable", "won't break the bank", etc. as we have no idea what they mean to you without a dollar point of reference. also tell us where you are traveling from as that will affect airfare which in turn could use up a substantial portion of your budget.

Fifth, give us a list of things you'd like to see, do and experience while on this trip. That way we can steer you in the right directions.

Now, if you are really unsure of where you'd like to go, a Caribbean Cruise is a good way experience a series of different islands. If a cruise does interest you, you should begin your research at CruiseCritic.com - it's a website dedicated to cruising and there tons of information on Caribbean Cruises, the different cruise lines available and the different itineraries offered by the cruise lines.

Good luck planning your trip
Aug 30th, 2018, 09:19 AM

I'll take a crack although like roamsaround says more information is needed. Check out Grand Cayman specifically Westin. Right on 7 mile beach which is beautiful white sand beach. Nice shopping nearby. You could do an excursion to feed sting rays. They have a turtle farm and lovely gardens. Its very safe and there are tons of restaurants. On the exp side but that's where it would help if you had a budget specified.
Aug 30th, 2018, 10:55 AM

I suggest somewhere along the Mayan Riviera, the Caribbean coast of Mexico.

(her daughter is 18, says so in the first sentence )
Aug 30th, 2018, 03:05 PM

It is a great idea of spending a nice time your daughter. I can recommend you go to Quintana Roo, Mexico where Cancun is located. Cuba and Jamaica are also good options. San Blas and Bocas del Toro in Panama are beautiful too. But might want to consider a Caribbean cruise that goes trough all or most of the places mentioned before.
Aug 30th, 2018, 03:19 PM

If you're interested in Jamaica, I can recommend Negril. Amazing 7-mile beach. You fly in thru Montego Bay, then 90 mins. shuttle out to Negril.
Aug 31st, 2018, 12:16 AM

We went to Negril during March and the water was cold so I would not suggest it to anyone who wants to swim in the beautiful 7 MB. The air temps could have been a few degrees warmer too, for my liking.

Where are you flying from? There has to be more places that Americans can go to than the usual Mexico/Jamaica, but if we knew where you are flying from, could make other suggestions. Barbados is more south so sea warmer, would be a fun island for an 18 year old.

Last edited by Odin; Aug 31st, 2018 at 12:22 AM.
Aug 31st, 2018, 04:02 AM

It would help to know your budget and what you would consider an "amazing" excursion.
Aug 31st, 2018, 09:19 AM

Odin, You're right (about temps). I was last in Negril in July, summer-time, I wasn't taking into account winter-time weather.
Sep 16th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Belize might me z good option? Weíve been really wanting to go to Costa Rica as well. Great adventures and wildlife there.