Where to stay in BVI - villa or resort?

Feb 20th, 1998, 03:04 PM
Jim

Where to stay in BVI - villa or resort?

Am planning honeymoon trip to BVI in late June, early July. Are we better off staying at a resort with meal plan, or renting a house/villa and fending for ourselves, a la carte? What about snorkeling, diving, sailing? Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as we have some $$ but not tons.

Feb 24th, 1998, 05:10 PM
Joel

My wife and I spend a few weeks each year on Tortola in the BVI. Two years ago, being familiar with the place, I went around to a number of villas and most of the resorts as part of a travel article for a newspaper. My strong impression of villas is that the quality is high and they tend to occupy small plots of land situated with great views. Every one that I visited (4) were large and expensive, full houses that you'd rent with another couple vacationing with you. Not to say there aren't smaller ones. Overall, I've never seen one that gave me even a glimmer of a thought to stop going to Frenchman's Cay Resort, which is in between a villa and a resort. And having toured three of the best resorts (Long Bay, Sugar Mill, and Ft. Recovery) I'd say the same about them. Frenchman's Cay has about 9 villas and provides meals on the modified American plan. You can find their web site by doing an internet search of resorts on Tortola. Whatever you do, ensure you get a 4wd or car with the deal as seeing all of Tortola is only possible by auto. If you ensure that your Tortola vacation abode has a kitchen (FCR does) then you can drive to a grocery store and prepare simple meals at home. Be sure to take a day trip on the Patouche II catamaran. Feel free to contact me if I can assist with any other info.

Feb 25th, 1998, 12:00 PM
Karen

If it's Tortola for your honeymoon, definately check out Frenchman's Cay. It was my favorite of all the places on Tortola for food and atmosphere. Small man-made beach but the host and hostess (owners live on property) were terrific! Consider spending a llittle more and going to Virgin Gorda rather than staying at Long Bay or some of the other places...even if it pinches the budget! Might want to consider St. John as an option---you don't wind up with the 17%25 added (service and tax).

Feb 26th, 1998, 04:35 PM
Patti

Jim, check out Biras Creek or Bitter End Yacht Club on Virgin Gorda. They are very different but would suit what ever your into such as quiet pampered or oceanic activity! You can find info about each simply by doing a search. Have a great time!

Feb 27th, 1998, 07:38 AM
Jim

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After investigating a few, we booked 10 days at Biras Creek in Virgin Gorda. Sounded like just the escape/hideaway we were looking for. Stretched the budget a little bit, but why not for (hopefully) our only honeymoon. Alas no golf for me, but my future wife is happy about that. Good web site at www.biras.com. The convincer was an article I read on www.scubamom.com - very favorable review of Biras. Anyways, thanks again for your suggestions, and I'll post my own review when we get back!

P.S. Thanks to Fodors for creating this site!

Feb 27th, 1998, 12:23 PM
michael

I just got back from 10 days in Tortola and I highly recommend at least a day trip to Anegada. Spend the day at Loblolly Bay, have a lobster barbecue lunch, and take in one of the most breathtakingly beautiful beaches in the world. In fact, every beach we visited on Anegada was drop-dead stunning. The beaches run for 7 uninterrupted miles on the north side. The island is totally safe, very friendly, and unspoiled. From Virgin Gorda, there is a boat which runs a couple days a week. I am sure there will people on Virgin Gorda who can give you info.

Feb 27th, 1998, 06:43 PM
Karen

Great choice, Biras Creek and Virgin Gorda. Much better than Tortola. Our stay at Biras was one of the more memorable vacations. Just don't think we can handle the bicycles to the beach anymore! It was super. Now Jamie H. is manager---they"stole" him from Peter Island after the "re do" and have heard only wonderful things about the food. Rooms are great...property is beautiful. Use some of that wedding $$$ to offset the price. It is well worth it!