Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Where to go to not be bothered on a beach?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please, I don't mean to insult or offend.

I would like to plan an island vacation in January 2010 with the number one priority being relaxing on the beach and enjoying the nice, warm ocean water. I do not wish to be asked to buy items nor do I need anyone to bring me drinks. We are much happier on the beach than at poolside.

Where would you recommend (island and/or resort)?

Thank you!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:13 AM

The Out Islands in the Bahamas.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:22 AM

Out Islands is a great choice, but January could be chilly there! Do you mean Jan. 2011?

Great choices, and no vendors/etc on the beach:
Turks and Caicos
Anguilla
Barbuda

Any resort that takes up the island would work too, such as Parrot Cay, Palm Island, Jumby Bay.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:23 AM

neither the air or water are likely to be warm in the bahamas or turks & caicos in january - assume you mean 2011. you can eliminate jamaica as they are known for beach vendors.

some more info is needed to make any useful suggestions.
where will you fly from, how long is trip, specifically how much can you spend on resort, do you want to go to restaurants or eat at your resort, who is going (number & adults/kids)? would you consider a condo or villa? do you want to explore the island or just chill at your place? is there anything you want to do - golf, gamble, historical tours, shop, dive/snorkel, ???
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 08:56 AM

It's 84 degrees in Provo TCI today !!!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Oops, where does the time go? Yes, I meant 2011.

Virginia, we would be flying out of Boston, just my husband and I, we might try to timeshare, eat in and out on a budget but maybe one splurge, if I could I'd do nothing but my husband gets antsy and we'd need to explore, no golf, snorkeling's good. Really, the main thing is the beach...and the other main thing is we're not rich so I need to have the choice of islands and then poke around for where to sleep.

Thank you!
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:51 AM

Look up the Sea Lodges of Cayman Kai, Grand Cayman. Almost deserted beach. Nice quaint tropical lodge. All 16 are individually owned and rented by owner. Incredible snorkeling just off shore. Large number of incredibly expensive restaurants from 5 to 40 minutes away. Go mangrove kayaking, hike the Mastic trail, do watersports from Rum Point, deep sea fishing, swim with the sting rays, etc. Look at vrbo.com.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 02:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'll once more put in a word for www.sbvillas.ai on Anguilla. An absolutely gorgeous, quiet beach.It's a bit older property, but we had a room right on the beach and the staff was courteous and friendly.

After about 20 islands our new favorite is Grace Bay, Turks & Caicos but it's a little far north for Jan. Yes, it may be hot north of the Virgins in Jan., but we have also encountered cool weather at that time of year. IMO, stick south.

We loved others for different reasons, but most were busier than you would like.

What's your price range as some of them like St. Bart's are really pricy.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 06:34 AM

I heartily second Anguilla as a great destination that meets your criteria. I also think you can find something wonderful in St. Bart's. We've vacationed there in April a few times and were able to find fabulous accommodations on a fairly modest budget -- small villas, with private pool or hot tub. It's always worth asking for best possible rates and often a larger villa will have special rates (1BR) for a couple. And though restaurants tend to be very pricey on St. Barts, you can find fabulous food for provisioning at markets and bakeries.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:27 AM

http://abacoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5270

There is still on ongoing discussion regarding the technical definition of "chilly".

I would go for :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/315

As the Oxford English definition.

Strangely the Miami dictionary offers this definition :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/3326?count=10

We are going to the Out Islands in 2 weeks and all you will find is laid back people, a warm welcome, empty beaches, few resorts and wildlife everywhere.

If you live north of Washington maybe look elsewhere otherwise look no further!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM

I don't mind beach vendors and in fact usually enjoy chatting with them. But on each of my two trips to Anguilla in 2009, I saw vendors on Meads and Shoal Bay East. Since beaches are public, I'm pretty sure there's no guarantee that you won't see any beach vendors on any given island.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM

I think Anguilla is your island. I suggest Rendezvous Bay-not a sole on the beach. My husband and I take about four walks a day on that beach when we are there and it's rare when you see anyone. The beach is outstanding and the water is very warm and gorgeous!
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:19 PM

Anguilla..amazing beaches and no vendors...www.anguillabliss.com
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 06:25 AM

My family just spent a week on Cane Garden Bay in Tortola. It was relaxing and fabulous - we spent a day sailing on the Blue Moon Catamaran to Jost Van Dyke - incredibly fun! You could also take ferries to the other BVI and USVI.
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Providencia Island Columbia
Old Feb 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Check out the Reef Resort and Morritt's Grand Resort (not Morritt's Tortuga) on the east end of Grand Cayman. They match what you are looking for perfectly.
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 02:49 AM

Old Providence Island Colombia would be a great idea...not the easiest place to get to but worth the effort.
Old Feb 6th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much for your input, it's a great help!
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM

I find that that St. Bart's, BVI's and Turks and Caicos are the least hassle in that regard.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 03:00 PM

If you want seclusion, turquoise water and white, sandy beaches - The Out Islands of the Bahamas are perfect. Abaco is another favorite (Treasure Cay, Green Turtle, and others).

Great Exuma was our trip last summer and we spent an entire week and did not share the beach with anyone. All accessible by a small boat and in a protected harbor. Some of the most beautiful beaches we've seen, especially Tropic of Cancer beach.

Cat Island has many gorgeous beaches we enjoyed and only shared the beach with someone one day the entire week. We rented a small house on the beach and we had the beach all to ourselves.

Tulum, Mexico, has a quiet stretch at Las Ranitas. No vendors. Beautiful sand and water.

Vieques, Puerto Rico. A small island off of PR. Drive to any beach and you'll most likely have it all to yourself. Blue Beach was a favorite as it was beautiful and it had nice snorkeling just off of the beach area. Green Beach looked like something from South Pacific with it's towering palms lining the beach. Love this island as it has so much charm.

I know I'm forgetting others but will post when I remember.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -