Where to go in Caribbean?

Oct 21st, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Where to go in Caribbean?

Had all but made our travel arrangements to Grand Cayman when the hurricane(s) hit. From what I've read/heard, I'm going to wait a year or two before going to GC. So, we (wife and kids 6 & 11) are looking for other options / suggestion in the Caribbean. One reason we originally selected GC was the great snorkeling/scuba diving. While we are both divers and the kids love the ocean, we are looking for a place that offers other attractions (nature/hiking/shopping/golfing). We've been to Hawaii & Cozumel so we're looking for some place new & fun(we're not into partying). Is Aruba a good 2nd choice or are there better spots? Your suggestions are much appreciated!
PS: We prefer resorts (Hyatt's/Marriotts) but not really interested AI's
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:13 PM

There is an excellent Hyatt on Aruba - in general, I think Aruba is a great place for families. Lost to, friendly and safe. And the best climate in the Caribbean, in my opinion. Also, there are so many nice places to eat that you really don't need AI - everybody, including me, advises against it.
Oct 21st, 2004, 11:15 PM

Sorry about the incomprehensible "lost to" in my previous mail; I meant "lots to do"!!
Oct 22nd, 2004, 05:13 AM

You might want to look into the new Marriott in St. Kitts. St. Kitts would be a good island for nature and hiking.
There are a lot of activities offered in St. Thomas + great shopping. In St. Thomas you might look into Secret Harbour Resort near Red Hook where you can ferry over to St. John for the day.
Oct 22nd, 2004, 07:13 AM

Aruba is not a great diving destination, and has marginal snorkeling. We've been to many Caribbean islands, and to Hawaii. Aruba is the only one we won't hurry back to. I can compare it to a mini Miami Beach in the middle of the desert. The Marriott resort was great, but we were disappointed by the snorkeling and didn't even bother spending the money on diving. The beaches were crowded and noisy with watersports vendors. I'd suggest St. John. Quiet, GORGEOUS,incredible shore snorkeling for the kids and stunning beaches - good diving in the US and BVI's. We stayed at the Westin and dove with Cruz Bay Watersports. No golf, but there is hiking, mountain biking and ocean kayaking with Arawak Expeditions. You can take short day trips to other islands. In my opinion, it is a perfect island.
Oct 24th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Oct 25th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Where are you coming from? Do you mind connecting flights or are you looking for direct non-stop?
Oct 25th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

I'm coming from the midwest so connecting flights is our only option. Ideally we'd like 1-2 stops max (each way).
Oct 25th, 2004, 12:09 PM

I agree with Mellyz's post. We've been to GC twice and had a great time both trips. We went to Aruba last June and it was OK but just OK. Ditto Melly's comment re: St. John. Good place for diving and snorkeling. Wonderful restaurants. Breathtaking scenery. Etc. We rented a villa with a pool and I would highly recommend going the villa route for a change of pace from hotels. The shopping on SJ is limited; however, a short ferry ride over to St. Thomas takes care of any duty-free shopping urges.