Search

where to go

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where to go

I need some help with planning a family vacation. Over the years my husband and I have gone to the following:
Aruba- very windy but loved it. It is so clean and safe (or was).
All over the BVI and ST. Thomas. -loved that the most. We rented a boat and sailed island to island.
Jamaica-great if you stay in the resort
Caymans-It's been a while but loved it.
We really want to take the kids (12 + 8) on a vacation that they will enjoy. We don't just want the beach and snorkel thing. We are thinking of one of the palace hotels in Mexico. Cancun Palace or XPU-HA Palace. I like the fact that there is a lot to see and do. I am not sure if this is a wise choice and I would love some feedback. I have thought about Hawaii but wow what a long trip! Please help an adventure loving family plan.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM

Due to the ages of the children you will be taking on vacation, I suggest Beaches Turks and Caicos. However, there isn't much of anything to do on the island that isn't water related.

That being said, I'd also like to point out that I personally don't know any 8 or 12 year old kids that want to go sight-seeing. The ones I know would much rather be able to go from the beach to any one of several pools, to the snack bar, and back to the beach again. Of course, I don't know your children, and they may really enjoy sight-seeing. Forgive me if I am all wrong in my thinking.

Good luck in your search for adventure. Hope you have a great time where ever you go.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:48 PM

fournadeau:
I know that Hawaii is a long flight esp. if you live on the East Coast like me...however KAUAI is worth every minute of that long flight.We loved it and have not found a place that compares for natural beauty yet (except ST John is close).I would highly recommend Kauai it is not over developed but has lots to do and see.You can go to Wailua Falls,Waimea Canyon..AKA(Grand Canyon of the Pacific),you can kayak the Wailua river,hike the Napali Coast,just to name a few things to do.The Napali Coast is absolutely gorgeous.

If I were you...I would buy the book by Frommers "The Ultimate Guide to Kauai" very good book or research online more.

I have been to Kauai,St John,and Aruba..of these islands...Kauai is my favorite.

You should plan for atleast a week if you do go to Kauai..its not a very big island but has alot to see.Tons of waterfalls. Anymore questions feel free to ask.
Christie

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 05:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My kids are 11 and 12 and so I have similar ages to travel with. Some places we have taken them are Aruba (we loved it too), Bermuda-this would be a great option because you can snorkel and beach thing. But, you can ride the local buses or moped it everywhere. It is very friendly and much more lush and beautiful than Aruba. We have also taken them to San Francisco and Scottsdale AZ. We have done the Disney thing too. We have spent several vacations at the beaches on the east coast of the US. We went to the the Atlantis in the Bahamas. I only recommend this for a fun, long weekend. The island is not that great. It is a location vacation. It was fun, but I doubt we would return. A week there would be too long and too much money.
San Francisco was a great trip with lots of sightseeing and my girls loved Chinatown there.
Next year, we are going to Hawaii. It is a long trip and we only have 9 nights. I do think it is worth it.(Ask me that after the long flight from VA in coach...)
Their favorite vacations have been beach ones. They are most happy snorkeling and playing on the beach. Hawaii will be more sightseeing and luaus than just lying on the beach. My husband can't sit around too long anywhere. He is the one I have to have lots of activties planned for! LOL!
With regards to Cancun...My husband and I went on a trip there without kids. I would not be completely comfortable taking my kids there. The water issue is a big factor with me. I also am not sure if I would feel that safe there either. That is me though and lots of people go there and love it.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody that responded. Yes, we are on the East Coast in good old North Carolina. I would love to go to Hawaii but the long flight draws me back to the East side. We have thought about the San Fran thing and taking a trip up the North Coast of Cali but then we figure we are only a couple of hours away from Hawaii. The kids do love the beach and the pool but I would like them to see more than the hotel on the island. We have had the most fun exploring islands and seeing things outside the hotels. I would love to rent a jeep and have some great fun. We would also love to go somewhere we haven't been. I have thought about Bermuda but does it have anything to do? I love the thought of waterfalls and that sort of thing. OOOO the flight and not to mention the money! Are ya sure nobody likes Mexico? The two natural parks sound cool and the hotel sounds great. They filter all the water and give you bottled water to drink. I wouldn't eat outside the hotel. Thanks so much for the help. P.S. Where did you stay in Hawaii?
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:24 AM
iw

We stayed on Maui and there is a fabulous trip to natural waterfalls that your kids would love! Luau's are a great experience. Lots to see and do. It is a looooonnnngg flight. We are from VA. Nevis and Guadeloupe have rainforest hiking with some pretty water. Not sure if there is enough to do, outside of the beach thing with kids. Personally, I have not been to Mexico, but several of our friends have and have returned because of the sights to see and hiking. It sounds fun, but do avoid the H2O, as they all have come back sick!!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises has a junior jammer program available thru Aug. Legacy sails from either Miami or Ft.Lauderdale. Polynesia from Aruba,and M/V Amazing Grace from I believe Costa Rica. I don't have children but have sailed when children aboard at other times of the yr. All have loved it and many families are repeat since JJ program was started. There have even been some discounted sailings. Check out www.jammerbabe.com and www.windjammer.com if interested. Many of the passengers with children have discussed their trips and I don't think any have been disappointed.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:46 AM

San Francisco is a five hour flight direct from the east coast. Hawaii is about 10. We are going to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Oahu and the Marriott in Kauai. We have stayed at the Halekulani in Oahu and on Maui it was the Stouffers resort(I think it has changed hands). The Halekulani is more for adults and their beach is small. The Hilton Hawaiian village is a huge resort.
In Bermuda, I thought there was a lot to do and see. We went to the Perfume factory where they make the perfume from the local flowers, the caves, the town of Hamilton for shopping, we did the dolphin quest(I have since heard negative things about dolphins in these programs.), but we enjoyed it. There are glass bottom boat tours, helmet diving, snorkel and fishing trips. You can rent mopeds and stop at the different beaches and snorkel. It is a very pretty place. We stayed at a small resort called the Reefs. We had the only children besides my brother there. We loved the resort. The Fairmont Southhampton has more amenities and we have stayed there also. Elbow beach has a great beach. (only part I have seen).
When we went to Cancun, no one on our trip got sick from eating or drinking at the hotel. I am sure you will be fine. I am also sure that you will have a great trip. I have read about these fabulous resorts, I just can't convince myself about the water.
Have fun choosing.
Have you ever considered doing the National Parks with your kids? It is a totally different kind of trip, but it has lots to see and do. I have considered Yellowstone/Jackson Hole. I went as a child and have considered taking my kids before they get too old to enjoy the outdoor adventure without the glitz. Just another idea to confuse you. Or you could do San Francisco and Yosimite.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 09:44 AM

fournadeau:
We are from NC too!

For accomodations on Kauai..check out www.rosewoodkauai.com.

If you like resorts..Princeville Resort is nice but very expensive and has a nice golf course if you are into golf.

The Hyatt is also nice and was voted by the Travel channel to have the best pools and best family resort.The beach that it is on Poipu beach was voted in the top 10 for best family beaches in Hawaii.

The Marriott is also nice.

Both the Marriott and Hyatt are at Poipu Beach on the South Coast.During the summer months the North shore has calmer waters.The Princeville Resort is on the North Shore.It is a small island so you can get to the North shore from the south in about 40 minutes if traffic is good.

The flight was long but you get served meals and watch movies...helps the time go by.It is also good if you are tired so you can rest.

Trust me if you do decide to go to Kauai the flight is worth every minute.

Girlonthego:
When are you going to Kauai?The Marriott is nice.I am jealous..wish I was going to Kauai.

Take care,
Christie
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Christie: We aren't going until next April, but we are very excited. I am researching like crazy already, but I wish I had more than 9 nights. We only have three on Kauai. I wish I had done 4. We are going over spring break and I am only pulling the kids out for one day. I just should have done two!!Hawaii is not a place we will travel to often. We went once about 11 years ago. This may be it. Unless of course, we fall in love with it! The first time I went, I was in bed every night at 7 pm. I was five months pregnant and we had a 15 month old with us. This will be a different experience. We will have a 12 and a 13 year old!! Next time, maybe I will try St.John.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:23 PM

Girlonthego:
We also went to Kauai in June so the temps. should be a little cooler when you go.Kee' beach on the North shore was our favorite snorkeling spot.Definately go to Wailua Falls very beautiful..if you remember the show "Fantasy Island" its the falls at the beginning of the show.Also spouting horn and Waimea Canyon are great places.Just check the weather to see if its foggy at Waimea before you go as if it is..you will not be able to see anything.We were upset because it was so foggy when we went that you could not see anything..and it is called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific.

I think that since your not pregnant and your kids are older..this trip will be alot better.

And do try St John sometime..it has the most beautiful beaches with very calm waters.We plan on going back in maybe March..not sure yet.

If you have any Kauai questions..feel free to ask.
Take care!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:42 PM

Political issues aside, my Husband and I have been to the Moon Palace in Cancun and loved it. The staff was wonderful, the food was also good. Their pools and beaches were beautiful and we found shopping in Cancun very interesting. I have to admit, I like All Inclusives due to the fact I know how much I am spending before I get there.

Good luck
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:25 AM

How about PR ? Direct flights from Charlotte + you have the beaches, the rainforest & Vieques & Culebra are both wonderful as well as the Old Town of San Juan. See more commentary onmy prior posts. I'll top them for you.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:02 AM

i think the mexican riviera, south of cancun, would be an excellent choice for your family. the 2 parks Are wonderful. the snorkeling and diving excellent. 2nd largest reef on earth. the ruins are intriguing and awesome to explore. also avail are 4-wheeler tours in the jungle, horseback riding, jeep tours.
i have to point out here that when i traveled with my parents the "sights" were def not my favorite thing, but now looking back, i see those experiences as treasures. both for the family bonding thing and the opportunity to see great stuff (ie museums in london - no kid would choose this but i learned and enjoyed in spite of myself)
everyone i know who has been to this area (not cancun/cozumel!!) loved their trips. one couple is selling out and building a house and opening a dive/snorkel boat busines there...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Wow...great responses...even the interesting politic thing. I have pretty much narrowed it down to Mexico or Hawaii. I am not sure which one will win out yet but the info. is crucial. We can stay all-inclusive at the Palace hotel in Mexico for a great price. The flight is also a lot shorter and I don't think there are any Great White sharks off the coast. Hheee I get a little nervous with my kids . I have seen a couple of sharks in the Bahamas and it is not a lot of fun. It's funny how the theme song to Jaws is always playing when you are out in the middle of the ocean. Of course, that is probably just me. I don't freak until I look up and realize how far away from shore I am. The group I was with in St. John's saw one but I wasan't looking...thank god! I still would love to see Hawaii but I want to look at the flight thing again and hotel prices. If I can keep the sharks away from my first born, I don't want to have to give her up to the hotel. P.S. I was only going to do the all inclusive thing in Mexico because of the water. Is it worth doing in Hawaii or would it be better to rent a condo with a kitchen. I know the food in Aruba and the BVI's was fabu and I am glad I didn't miss it.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:26 AM

About the shark thing... statistically the Caribbean has a lower incidence of shark attacks than many places such as Florida, Australia, Hawaii. I know this because I saw one of the two common types of sharks only once in St. John, and did some research on the subject of shark attacks. Historically, fatal shark attacks in other places number in the high 2 digits and even 3 digits while the Caribbean is single digit. I saw a nurse shark (fairly harmless) and have yet to see a black-tipped reef shark, the other most common Caribbean shark.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:19 AM

If you chose Kauai..the best beach (Kee Beach)is protected by a reef so the water is calm and no sharks to worry about.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I saw two gray sharks. I didn't stop to ask any questions. I don't think I have ever gotten out of the water so fast. My husband wants to feed them...nuts but as long as the life insurance policy is signed...be my guest. He wants to do one of those trips and I believe there is one in Hawaii. We won't let sharks get us down but I have been thinking about it as of late. I guess the kids in Fla. have been on my mind. I cna't wait to do some more research. All the info. has been great. I like the odds in the Carr. better I think. I am lokking for places in Hawaii to stay. I think I have it narrowed down to Maui and Kaui(spell?).
I'll compare what I find to Mexico just so I can get totally confused. Thanks for the shark update. hhehe
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:33 PM

We took our five kids (3-17 yrs old at that time) to Playa del Carmen in February, 2001 and had a great time. We were at the Gala Resort and there were lots of activities right onsite. It is AI, which was great to have with kids - they could eat and drink whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted.

Xcaret was excellent - DD swam with the dolphins and we all did the undergroup river swim; my little guy loved the baby turtles and we stayed for the evening shows. My only complaint was there was too much to do for only one week if you wanted to get in some R&R - I had wanted a day trip to Cozumel and we never got to the Mayan ruins. We had a direct flight, which was important for me travelling with 7 of us, and even my youngest tolerated the flight well. Hawaii is alot further away.

My only advice would be to check for hurrican damage; I hear that area was hit quite hard recently. Good luck!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Oops - I meant "underground" river

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -