Reload this Page >

WHAT'S THE TRUTH ABOUT H2O IN CANCUN?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 03:10 AM
Jessica

Ok what is really the truth about the water in Cancun? I advised my mother that we were taking the kids (8 and 1) to Cancun in December and her response was: "You better take a lot of bottled water." So before I go to BJ's wholesale club and stockpile gallons and gallons to pack along and lug the stuff all the way down to Mexico, what is the truth about the water? Should I believe the travel agent who says it's completely safe or heed my mother's advise so my little angels don't get sick as dogs in a foreign country?

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 07:40 AM
DON / bOSTON

Hi: I Have traveled to Cancun twice in the last 9 minths (once with my kids). We stayed at good hotels in the "hotel Zone". Because of the rich Mexican food my daughter and myself had a day or two that our stomachs were a little upset and food seemed to pass through us quickly. Rule 1. Don't drink tap water. (hotels will say its fine but use it for bathing only).Rule 2 Water at meals is fine (all good hotels serve bottled water) Rule 3 When you are not in your hotel or at a good restaurant avoid water. 4. Never drink water or buy produce or food from a street vendor (you are looking for trouble). No need to take bottled water to Cancun. Follow basic rules and you should be fine. Doctor at hotel we stayed at said that mexican food (different seasoning and spices ) and diet normally account for problems people have with Mexico not water. Hope this helps! Email me if you need more info !

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 08:16 AM
Doug

I agree that it's NOT a good idea to drink tap h2o.
I was able to buy bottled h2o at most stores a 1
litre bottle from the cooler cost about 6
pesos($0.75US). We stayed at an all inclusive and
we bought a few bottles when we got there and
filled them up at the resort from there 5 gallon
h2o coolers and took them with us. That saved us
some money. Don't buy h2o at the airport $2us for
the same bottle.

Have fun!!

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 11:30 AM
Gail

Been there twice and agree with above msgs. Water available in most stores and cheaper than home. Upon check-in our guide told us the chemicals used for purifying water might cause problems and stick with bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth. (My husband and kids (teens) didn't worry about it and had no problems. This applies to the hotel zone - bottled water used for ice cubes and washing fruits and vegs. Outside the hotel zone - only eat fruit and veg that can be peeled. It was a great place and this minor inconvenience was the worst we experienced. Have fun -- Any questions, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Old Dec 1st, 1997, 09:15 AM
Jean E. Bowers

I have been to Cancun twice and drink alot of water (8 glasses a day)with medication. I drink tap water and have never had a moment of ill health. If you want to buy water do so at your hotel. The only problems I even heard about was a couple who bought tacos from a street vendor and both were in the bathroom for an entire day. Usually if you take a side trip the people booking will tell you if you need to bring water along. Modern Mexico is far different from what it used to be. All along the hotel and restaurant strip I ate and drank water provided at the table. You can buy bottled soda on the street buy do not ask for ice in a cup. Use caution buy don't drive yourself crazy. ENJOY!!!

Old Dec 2nd, 1997, 08:04 AM
p thompson

I've been to Cancun several times and have only stuck to bottled water. When you go to a restaurant though you will have ice in your drinks and that has never affected me. I have never taken a chance with the tap water because I didn't want to ruin my vacation, but the people I travelled with didn't have a problem. Hope this helps.

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 06:50 AM
Tom

Hotel water is fine!
Been to Cancun twice and drank the water from the tap(not a lot) and never got sick. Watch out for sea water that has made me sick in the past (snorkeling and got a big mouth full).
Drink up!