Reload this Page >

What's so great about the islands?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 12:43 PM
liza

Hi Everyone,<BR>My husband and I are planning a first anniversary trip this spring. He is trying to convince me that there's nothing better than a tropical island...I haven't really seen the need for this since my parents live in Florida and I can have sun and beach for free whenever...but he says I am really missing out. What is it about the "island" experience that you all love so much? Would you say the smaller the island, the better?Thanks!

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 01:10 PM
tivertonhouse

ISLANDS VS.FLORIDA Island time is far far slower than Florida time;the land isn't flat;Spanish is not necessarily the lingua franca on the street, and simple things are valued more highly.Depending on where you go, there's the good possibility of leaving developed/condoized/urbanized areas behind and discovering not just spectacular natural beauty but also a pace of life and a people who have totally different values and traditions,-- ones that are quite sweet to slip into... It's a whole nuther world -- as long as you stay away from the overly-developed islands and find someplace far more 'real' than Little Palm Island,for instance,available on many islands far less self-consciously with the same amount of cosseting luxury...

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Kim

Piece of mind , sun, warmth and sand and wonderful people do I need say more.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Marilyn

Much much prettier deeper blue seas and the sand on the beaches is whiter...a small island feel depending on which island you choose, different cultures to experience.

Old Jan 29th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Daniel Williams

I've only been to one island, New Providence in the Bahamas, and the feel was just *different* from the mainland USA, particularly as one moved away from the tourist areas. I could tell that from the moment I stepped off the plane and even more from the instant I left the airport. There was the rake 'n scrape music, the slower pace, the tasty cuisine (find me a conch soup as good as what I had there in the US and I'll be your best friend and a culture unique to my eyes. And each country and even island (at least the ones with major settlements) to my understanding has its own unique music, cuisine and culture. Go, enjoy, open your eyes to the rhythm of the islands.

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Badfam

I love the Florida Keys but I agree with your husband. For pampered, romantic and relaxing getaways, there's no place like the Caribbean. See some of our trip photo galleries at:<BR><BR>http://badfam.htmlplanet.com/001BadfamDirectory.html<BR><BR>

Old Jan 30th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Joe

Kim, has it pretty much summed up. The people of the islands seem to be so friendly and you feel so relaxed and carefree while their. The warmth, sun and water seem to have such a soothing feeling on you whole body. No place like the caribbean.