what it's all about: trip report

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 06:00 PM
Robert

what it's all about: trip report

Just left rush hour traffic in Cleveland 6 hours ago. Took a Delta flight to Miami, then a American Eagle to Marsh Harbor, Abaco, Bahamas. The plane banked over the turquoise and gin-colored waters, then flew low over the miles of verdant green caribbean pine forests, landing abruptly on the tarmack. Thank God no wild boars or potcakes were rummaging on the landing strip. Booked through customs in about 45 seconds with the 8 other passengers, and took a cab to the Lofty Fig, a neat little place across from the Conch Inn in Marsh Harbor. Had deep ocean grouper and pigeon peas and rice at the Conch Inn for dinner, then listened to a great island regae band and drank Bahama Mamas that night. Did the limbo. Saw fishermen bring in baracuda and a sailfish. Nest morning, walked out of Lofty Fig to check out my diving gear and a wild boar scared me. then, a coconut fell from the palm and missed my head by 2 inches. Oh, well. Took ferry over to Great Guana Cay, and our golf cart was waiting for my wife and I on the dock. Drove for 30 minutes over rough one lane coral and sand road to our destination: the Guana Seaside Village on the northern remote section of Guana Cay. Got snorkeling equipment out and snorkeled and got two large conch. Glenn, the manager, showed me how to open conch shells and get the meat out. Ate it for supper. Thanks Ellie-Mae for preparing it for us! Snorkeled on Fowl Cay next day with Froggies Dive Operation out of Dolphin Beach Resort on Guana. Saw huge pod of wild dolphins, but dive master wouldn't allow us to dive in because of the babies...dolphins are wild animals and are protective! snorkeled Fowl Cay and saw Caribean Reef Shards, and dozens of colorful reef fish and coral. came back, rested, and ate at Nippers, with a huge portion of grouper(caught that day), pigeon peas and rice, and conch fritters, and too many Guana Grappers. Drove haphazardly back to Guana Seaside Resort in golf cart(no cars) with lights on. Beddy bye. Cleveland traffic was forgotten! Any one want to hear day two trip report, let me know. Robert

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 09:05 AM
Gail

I Do!!!!!!!

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 10:09 AM
AbacoPeach

I do too!! Wish you would also post it on the Abaco Message Board at www.abacoboard.com

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:42 AM
Robert

Next day; took golf cart and drove through the settlement and discovered "high rocks" on the south side of Great Guana Cay. Hundreds of yellow flowers with butterflies flitting over them, growing right out of the sand. Took snorkel, fins and flippers, and tip-toed across talcum powdered sand, into the gin-colored water. No one else around. Saw French Angel fish all over. Took rest under Caribbean Pines in shade. Hiked into desolate area bordering the deserted beach. Many banana plants, and mango trees. Drove back to Guana Cay Settlement and visited Nippers. Watched the reefs only 60 feet out, with snorkelers unaware of reef sharks passing through every hour. I was their shadows from atop Nipper's overlook. Struck up conservation with local about our dolphin pod encounter yesterday. He said he saw the pod split by a low tide between two cays, and the one half stayed for a half day, calling back to the stranded ones, and stayed until high tide united them again. Some even tried to glide across the above water rocks to reach their partners. Such dedication! Drove in golf cart back to Guana Seaside Village and Resort on northern part of Guana. Took half hour of rough, coral and sand road with ruts. Snorkeled out under pier and saw many southern stingrays coming into the grass beds in search of food. Then, ordered a Kahlik beer and sat under coconut palm and watched the sunset. Stingrays still 8 feet off beach foraging. Oh! a guest just hooked a baracuda off the dock, man can they fight! Three more Kahliks, and off to bed. Robert

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 10:39 AM
Mary

Robert: That sounds like a perfect trip for me. May I be so blunt and ask how much a trip like that would cost me in total, assuming I'm flying out of Ohio as well? How long are you staying?

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 07:10 PM
Robert

We flew Delta to Miami, then American Eagle into Marsh Harbor. I believe RT air was about $400 apiece, including the jaunt to Marsh Harbor. Guana Seaside Village probably has new rates; we went in July. I believe we payed around $1,000 for 9 nights for a double. Golf Cart rental is mandatory; too far to walk from the settlement. We ate only several meals at GSR, and ate at Nippers mostly, because for $11 you got grouper that was swimming in the ocean that morning(a half plate) and much pidgeon peas and rice. Great Guana Cay isn't your typical tourist destination, though. Every thing is clean and nice, but no TV in the rooms. It is on the Sea of Abaco and a 3 minute walk to the other side of the island to the Atlantic Ocean. You must rent a Boston Whaler from Riches Boat Rental and explore the Sea of Abaco. Neat hidden bays to swim in and deserted islands for shelling, etc. I can give you places to explore if you like. Robert

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 09:55 AM
AbacoPeach

BOY! You are making it so tough on a person who has less than two months before I arrive on Guana!! Punish me, punish me LOL!

57 days and a wakeup

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Robert

Dear Abaco Peach; Let's hear a trip report upon your return from Abaco. have a Kahlik for me! robert