Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is the nices resort in the Mayan Riviera/Playa del Carmen area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:08 AM
sammy

My husband and I are looking for a very nice resort in this area. The following things are importnat<BR>1. Great beach<BR>2. Great food<BR>3. Close to the ocean-a resort on the beach is a must, but we don't want to walk forever to get from our room to the beach.<BR>4. Be able to drink the water if possible.<BR>5. We don't need an active nightlife, just some good ole R&R.<BR>6. Minimal kids<BR><BR>Does such a place exist?

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Christie

You'll likely get more replies to your post if you put it on the Latin America board.<BR><BR>That being said, the Royal Hideaway has almost everything you're looking for, and it is an adult-only resort. I don't know if you can drink the water there, though. None of the PDC resorts, to my knowledge, have potable water. They do, however, provide all the bottled water you can drink.

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 02:25 PM
Rochelle

I have visited Playa del Carmen a few times over the past years and stayed in small hotels (Las Palapas) and larger resorts. I would recommend without hesitation the RIU Palace, Royal Hideaway, Aventura Palace (adults only but smaller manmade beach) or the Moon Palace. All different from the other but deluxe or luxury properties all the way. <BR><BR>The larger resorts all have potable water but offer bottled water in the rooms. Keep in mind that coming from the states your bodies will have different immune systems than that of the locals and you can have reactions to even the cleanest water and best prepared food. Hint: take acidophilus prior to and during travel. <BR><BR>FYI: I'm not sure how soon you're traveling but you may want to keep a close eye on Hurrican Isidore which is scheduled to hit the Northern Yucutan Peninsula within a day. <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
fyi

Ikal del Mar, Hotel Deseo, Maroma, Villa Rolandi (Isle Mujeres) are just some of the newer on the scene lux resorts. Bottled water provided by all.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:43 AM
Nancy

I agree with fyi on Deseo and Maroma.<BR>Might also look into a luxury villa in the Akumal or Tulum/Tankah area.<BR>Check out locogringo.com.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:56 AM
xxx

These new ones you mention, are they Al's or private hotels? Thanks.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
Melissa

Paradisus

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:30 PM
steve

We spent two fantastic weeks in april at The Barcelo Maya.One of the best beaches in the area,great food and beautifull grounds.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 04:36 PM
kristi

Definitely the royal hideaway. Riu Palace also looked great. I went last January and no matter where you go the beaches are the best around. Better than the Carribean I think

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 06:06 AM
xxx

Royal Hideaway tops 'em all.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:27 PM
mo

we stayed at the bahia principe tulum for two weeks in may and it was fantastic in every way.good beach good food and the resort was beautiful.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Mariarosa

My review is a little outdated because we stayed almost 3 years ago...but here it goes anyways...<BR><BR>I thought both the Aventura Palace and the Royal Hideaway were excellent. However, the Aventura does not have a great beach. Both are supposed to be adults-only. I saw a few kids (around 4-5) at the Royal Hideaway, but far less than at other resorts on Playacar. Didn't see any kids at the Aventura. Royal Hideaway had great food.<BR><BR>I would strongly suggest to not drink the water at ANY of the resorts in this area. They all provide plenty of bottled water. If you want to go somewhere where you can drink the water, do not go to Mexico. Royal Hideaway has absolutely zero nightlife, although you can take a cab to Playa if you get bored. I think Royal Hideaway really fits your bill.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Forgetthe

Actually the best resorts are not the AI's, with the exception of the Paraiso del Bonita, an absolutely gorgeous Intercontinental hotel. Much, much nicer than the Royal Hideaway. Maroma is also much more elegant and classy, as is Ceiba del Mar. These are the resorts you should be looking at if you wnt very nice, rather than cookie cutter, big resorts that cater to the mainstream.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Forgetthe

Tacky is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer understated elegance to ostentatious pseudo-luxe. Some people don't have the cabability to discern between the two. It's okay though, as long as you enjoyed yourself there.<BR><BR>I'll give you an example, A well known, affluent NASCAR driver or RAP star would go to the Royal Hideaway, Princess Di (if she were alive), would go to Maroma or Ceiba del Mar. I suppose it's up to you whom you identify with. From the tone and vocabulary used in your post, it's easy to see how you don't see the tackiness inherent in the RH.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:22 AM
xyz

Forgetthe: I have to agree with anon. While RH may not be your type of establishment, calling it tacky is grossly unjust and unfair and you're doing a disservice to people considering it for a future getaway. You may want to just stick with "it's not my type of place." It may not be Ceiba del Mar or Paraiso del Bonita but RH is definitly not tacky.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Forgetthe

Okay, it's not tacky. It is an ultraglitzy mega resort for sure. I will say though, that anon is a perfect example of the clientele you might find at RH. I doubt very much you will find guests calling anyone a jackass at the establishments I recommended.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Forgetthe

You're missing the point anon. You fit in just fine at the RH. You would not however, fit in at Maroma or Ceiba del Mar.<BR><BR>It's really not a big deal. That's why there are many different resorts for many different types of people. I have no doubt that Royal Hideaway is the perfect splurge resort for you. You like RH, I like someplace else. Obviously we are both happier in different environments. Thankfully there are plenty of resorts to go around.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Forgetthe

No anon, the resorts I mentioned are very low-key. None of this "men must wear long pants at dinner" nonsense that places like the RH try to pull so they can ward off any chance of some hick showing up in a tank top and cut-offs. The places I mentioned make the assumption that their guests know how to dress properly, yet casually, and wouldn't begin to tell them how to dress. They don't need to be told. Think about it.<BR><BR>Funny, most people who think they fit in really don't.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:37 PM
xxx

I suppose it is a fair assumption to realize that all people on these forums come from many different "walks of life". They bring with them various vacation preferences based on there social status in life, money, etc.etc. Therefore we have many different viewpoints. From A to Z. Folks who are medium income families, and also the well to do. All this being said, I feel sorry for anyone who needs to identify with a dead woman. (Princess Di.) Or finds the need to wear Designer clothes for identification purposes. I find it disturbing at the least, to put someone down if they like a place simply implying it is not "good enough for them." Remember money does not make a person nor where they vacation. It has nothing to do with "who you are."

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Forgetthe

Funny, I don't recall mentioning designer clothing or cost of lodging. For all I know, the RH might be more espensive then any of the resorts I mentioned. I'm pointing out that any resort that needs to tell it's guests how to dress, well, it says something about the clientele they cater to. I think that's obvious. Please don't make unfounded assumptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -