Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What is the best "Get away from it all" Hotel in Provo?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the mom of baby twins in Phoenix...I need a break! I love Caribbean blue waters, tropical atmosphere, laid back snorkel/dive vacations (spent many holidays in USVI/BVI, Bahamas, Cancun, Cosumel). Places like St. John are up my alley. But looking for something new to experience. The catch is 1) we've only got 4 days/nights (includes travel time) 2) vacation is in October, and 3) must go where US Airways flys (we fly free). I think that narrows it down to Turkes & Caicos. Sounds more deserty but the water looks beautiful. Did I mention I love to dive too? Any suggestions on hotels or other travel thoughts is most appreciated
!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 09:53 PM

We just stayed at the Parrot cay for 4 nights and Regent Palms for 3. We loved the Parrot Cay-but PRICY. The somerset looked nice. Palms too crowded for me-Not enough chairs at the pool. The beach is Awsome!!
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM

hi sofun1, congrats on the 2 babies. back in 03 you asked the same question - well without the babies - and i still think the playa del carman area would be nice for you. great diving and shorter travel time...

however provo is my most fav. yes it is scrubby but the beach is gorgeous, the color of water is unreal tourquoise, the sand is oh so soft, good snorkeling, and 7000' walls to dive in very clear water!!
i would use art pickerings provo turtle divers out of turtle bay marina. nice, newer boats and really good staff. oldest company on the island http://www.provoturtledivers.com/home.htm
a small boutique hotel might be sibonne, directly on grace bay beach.
parrot cay is way away from everything, including provo, but if you just want to chill it might be ideal.
grace bay club is very very nice and has imho the best dining experience on provo and is a bit away from the majority of resorts.
turks and caicos club is also bit apart from most of the hotels on grace bay beach and is very nice.
coral gardens has very nice suites but has changed management in the past year or so. howardc, who posts on here often, has stayed there umpteen times and has some connections to info. he could tell you if it is still up to par and about any nearby construction. one of 2 best beach snorkel spots on island is directly in front of cg.
as well, provo is full of rental villas - if this interests you i can make suggestions for that too. i.e.: http://www.northshorevillas.com/coriander_cottage/ - you would have to make coffee in the am but there are 5/6 restaurants within walkinig distance.
a very high end idea is amamyara on malcolm road beach. very apart from the rest of the island - say 35-45 min drive. not a good commute for dining away from the hotel but for 3 nights aman food would presumably be fine. it is a very private hotel. about a football field off shore you can see where the wall drops off. the change in water color is really dramatic and beautiful.

provo has some excellent dining options!
for a very romantic dinner you should go to anacona. my favorite rest. is aqua bar at turtle cove. best cheeseburger at sharkbite. and hemingway's for lunch is yummy.
how was the snorkel/diving in bahamas? which island?
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Since you want to get away from it all, you may want to check out Turks and Caicos Club. A small boutique hotel with gorgeous amenities, includes full breakfast, and a 2 minute walk to great snorkling on 1 side, 10 minute walk on the other. The funny thing about it though, is with great snorkling on either side of it the beach itself in front is soft talcolm powder, bright white, with neon calm turquoise water, like a giant swimming pool. T&C Club is so pretty, it's been used numerous times for magazine photo shoots-yet the peace and quiet there is great! (You'll have the whole beach to yourself.) Great diving in T&C too-on par with St. John, even Cozumel. Next to TCC is also a patch of turtles to swim with, and I usually follow a Sea Eagle Ray too.

you'll be on the beach by 1pm the first day, stay on the beach until around 1 pm on last day.

The water is the most beautiful you'll ever see.
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

been to playa del carmen and cozumel during a cruise and they were my least favorite (except Puerto Vallarta) of my turqouise blue water places. Maybe because it was December? And I didn't do a deep reef dive because of a cold. The Bahamas were ok, in part because of the below par Sheraton we stayed at (too busy, next to Atlantis) but did a shark dive (yikes!) which was fun. though not desired to be repeated...

I'd love to find a "Little Dix Bay" "Caneel Bay" or "Hotel Melia" type place. Not sure why I'm finding it so hard to choose this time. Maybe because it means so much to me at the moment as I'm swamped in diapers and baby food...
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 02:51 AM

i completely understand your need for this trip to be special. i suspect this may be your last trip sans kiddies for some time to come. i did not have in mind staying in pdc just using it as a geographical target. when we were there we spent less than 1/2 day in town and that was surely plenty, and had no interest in coz at all. we actually stayed, for 2 weeks, 45mins south on tankah bay beach in a villa. for you someplace like maroma?

def look at turks and caicos club.