Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

What can you tell me about bareboat chartering in the Grenadines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 07:37 PM
Robin

We are interested in chartering a boat in this area next spring. We would consider either a catamaran or a monohull, but we want to sail ourselves. Has anyone done this, and can you recommend particular companies? I hear wonderful things about this cruising ground, and I think it's time to see for myself! <BR> <BR>Another question: What is the most direct way to fly from the west coast of the US? Should we go through Miami or San Juan, or is it possible to go, say, to Dallas and down to Barbados?

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:56 AM
John

We did a one way bareboat charter with the Moorings out of St Lucia. Monohull Beneteau 54 (or so). 10 days to Grenada. It was wonderful. <BR>The Moorings will handle your air (if you like). Easiest gateway is through San Juan the on American Eagle to St Lucia. <BR>This is a very popular trip and has been written about twice that I know of in Caribbean Travel and Life (includes the current issue). <BR>OUr trip was wonderful. Great islands, friendly people, great sailing. Uncrowded anchorages (except for the Tobago Cays (which was the high ligh of the trip). I posted a report at www.caribtravelnews.com. <BR>I would recommend The Moorings. Would love to do the trip again.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:26 PM
Pat

I have done this trip twice and would go again in an instant. We used Moorings once and Sunsail once and they were both excellent. Do recommend one way from north to south, and 10 days minimum. There is so much to do that you can easily spend more time. St. Vincent is missable and Union Island is just for supplies if you need them, but otherwise all the islands are great fun and very different. We love Mustique (just hanging out at the Cotton House and looking around the island) Bequia, Salt Whistle Bay CLub on Mayreau, Petit St. Vincent for dinner, Carriacou for a taste of local life. We always spend a few days in Grenada at the end of the trip because it is so beautiful and so friendly. Great island to visit (not from the boat, but from land). Enjoy. <BR> <BR>P.S. Catamarans are so much more comfortable than monos, and easy to sail. You won't go back to monohull!

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 03:22 AM
Eva

The Grenadines are wonderful -- well worth the effort it requires to get there. We sailed with Moorings out of St. Lucia. However, found that the passage from St. Lucia to St. Vincent was long and rough, and also didn't find we spent much time in St. Lucia. For that reason, when we return, we will use Tradewinds, which has a base in Bequia; they also have an in-house travel agency which will assist you with air arrangements. <BR> <BR> <BR>Fair winds!

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Robin

Many thanks to all of you! Any comments about a trip in April or May? Is there a better time (can't go as early as January next year) <BR> <BR>Robin

Old Jul 26th, 2000, 07:15 AM
Eva

Robin, our trip was in March, and the weather was glorious. Good wind for sailing; the only rain we had was in St. Lucia before we sailed; I don't remember the 2 a.m. hatch drill at all; days warm and sunny, nights breezy (actually had to cover up at night). I imagine April weather would be similar.