Search

What about the bugs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 1998, 07:26 PM
Jennifer

What about the bugs?

I'm planning a May 1999 honeymoon to the Caribbean, looked into USVI, BVI, St. Lucia, you name it...we'd like something with a lovely beach, snorkeling from the beach, lush vegetation, upscale accommodations, friendly and top-notch service...with something fun to do after dark in addition to a nice dinner. Any suggestions to someone who's never been to the Caribbean and $$ is not an issue? And, what about the bugs? - do we need to worry??? Thanks in advance for your response!

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 08:29 AM
Louis

Thoughout the Caribbean you need protection against both the sun and bugs. Repellent with at least 30 percent deet should be used on exposed areas. Caneel Bay and Little Dix are good suggestions. You would enjoy splitting time between the two. Check the Island Hopper specials at http://www.caneelbay.com. On the nicer places on the nicer islands there is not a great deal of night life. I don't think you will miss it.

Old Nov 13th, 1998, 07:19 PM
Meg

About the bugs, I've been to Jamaica, Grand Cayman and the Bahamas and did not have any problems at the first two places, but dealt with "no seeums" (sand flies) in the Bahamas. They are TINY - small enough to get through screens, but extremely irritating despite their size. Deep Woods Off works. Take some with you - it's expensive (as is almost everything) on the islands. Enjoy!

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 06:26 PM
JD

Jennifer, <BR>As far as the BVI goes, I've been there quite a few times and have never been bit or even seen anything that looked like it might bite me. <BR>Regarding where to stay, it depends on what you're looking for. For upscale accomodations that avoid the typical high-rise hotel-type atmosphere (or lack thereof) I suggest Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda in the BVI. It has privacy, fits into the natural setting, and offers a measure of luxury. For night life, St. Thomas offers <BR>the best I've seen and is fairly safe nowadays.

Old Nov 14th, 1998, 06:27 PM
JD

Jennifer, <BR>As far as the BVI goes, I've been there quite a few times and have never been bit or even seen anything that looked like it might bite me. <BR>Regarding where to stay, it depends on what you're looking for. For upscale accomodations that avoid the typical high-rise hotel-type atmosphere (or lack thereof) I suggest Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda in the BVI. It has privacy, fits into the natural setting, and offers a measure of luxury. For night life, St. Thomas offers <BR>the best I've seen and is fairly safe nowadays.

Old Nov 15th, 1998, 09:58 AM
Louis

Just a word of caution regardless of what anybody says. My wife and I have traveled in the Caribbean for over 30 years and also in the Pacific islands. The only twice have we been free of mosquitoes and without bites. That was at Salt Cay off of Grand Turk and just last May in Fiji. It may be the time of the year or the luck of the draw. However, with the new maleria spreading throughout the world, I would be very careful. However, nothing is as bad as the black fly in Maine or the mosquitoes in the Everglades.

Old Nov 17th, 1998, 11:35 AM
John

We honeymooned in Barbados. We stayed at the Coral Reef Club and it was very elegant. Rooms are two per bungalow so you get some privacy. They open up to a garden. We had breakfast delivered to our patio every morning and ate next to the garden. Good beach, there is a underwater preserve right next door where you can find lots of fish while snorkeling. Food was good, nice open air dining room or dine on the deck. Dinner exchange priviledges if you are on the inclusive plan gives you a little variety. The west side of Barbados is lined with resorts. All low rises so it doesn't look like San Juan or Miami. What we liked about Barbados was there were other things to do on the island also. Not many americans, mostly brits. There are some more expensive places on Barbados, but we picked this one because it was in a Romantic Hideaways book. Weather was good too. We got married at the end of April and spent 10 days there.

Old Nov 20th, 1998, 02:56 PM
Jill

St John in USVI has bugs. But its the price you pay for paradise! Just bring some Skin SO SOft by avon, it will keep the bites to a minimum. The bugs seem to be worse in the winter months.. St. John does not have a huge amount of night life but after doing all the snorkeling etc we were usually pretty tired by the time night falls!

Old Nov 24th, 1998, 12:56 PM
lisa

I just got back from a week at Ladera Resort in St. Lucia and HIGHLY recommend it or either of the other two nice resorts in the same area of St. Lucia, which are the Anse Chastanet and Jalousie Hilton. Had no problem at all with bugs the whole time but that may depend on the time of year. Ladera is up on a hill with a beautiful view overlooking the Pitons and the Caribbean, not right on the beach, but has several free shuttles daily (which take about 15-20 minutes tops) to the lovely beaches at Anse Chastanet and Jalousie Hilton, and they provide free snorkeling equipment and beach chairs. The Hilton and A.C. both have snorkeling from the beach and A.C.'s is particularly good. St. Lucia definitely has lush vegetation -- it has a large rainforest in which we spent a great day hiking, and lots of gorgeous waterfalls. Food and service at Ladera were excellent and we ate several meals at A.C. and Jalousie and enjoyed those a lot as well, but still felt nothing could top Ladera for intimacy, views, and privacy and were glad we stayed there rather than at one of the larger resorts. You can check out ladera-resort.com, ansechastanet.com, or <BR>idestin.com/destinations/jalousie.htm for more info. Good luck!

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 09:42 AM
Rand

Although it is not lush with vegitation, I want to put in a good word for Aruba. The beaches, for the most part, are very nice, there is decent snorkelling and I've never seen a single bug of any kind--supposedly due to the constant gentle breeze. <BR> <BR>Aruba is a desert, so if you are looking for lots of green this isn't your island. Nonetheless, it's a great place for daytime and evening activity. <BR>