Whale watching

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Whale watching

Has anyone done whale watching from Provo. We'll be there in Feb and would love to. Looks like most tours are out of Salt Cay. Is there any way to go from Provo? Who did you use? Thanks
Old Dec 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM

Check with J&B Tours they are great, last time I was there some people staying at our resort went out with them whale watching and had a great time, they do not garantee to see whales but when the people returned they said that "YES" they saw them and it was fantastic!We usually use them for their island getaway, they drop you off on a island, give you food and beverages, snorkeling equipment and chairs and you relax for the day, this is a terfic excursion.
Old Dec 23rd, 2003, 05:31 AM

McCadden; It should be a good season to view the Humpback whale migration. They hang out around northern Cuba and the Haiti/Dominican Republic oceans. The humpback mothers and calves congregate in great numbes in Samana Bay, off of the Dominican Republic. The mother humpbacks migrate south to these warm waters to give birth, instead of in the cold waters off Maine. Often, the whales won't leave these warm, sheltered waters for their northern migration until March. The whales may be seen past the official end ot the "whale watching season." It depends on the decision made by the mothers, sensing the degree of safety of their calves. The mothers also sense how strong their calves are before making the move to venture out of their sanctuary. It's a long journey to the northern feeding grounds! They feed in the cold northern waters off Maine and give birth in the warm caribbean ocean around the Dominican Republic, where they set aside the Silver Banks area, just to the north, as a whale sanctuary. They give birth in winter or early spring, then the mothers nurture their calves while journeying north through the Provo area, to the rich feeding grounds off Maine. Baby humpbacks grows up to 15 feet in length each month! They have a keen drive to migrate south during the winter months. Their migration route is still a mystery, but they come through the waters of the Antilles. During the winter season the humpback whales can be viewed in the Bahamas all the way to the Grenadines, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and the Lesser Antilles. They actually live off their body fat while in the Caribbean, so hunger is another reason to push northward when their babies are strong enough. Have fun. How about a trip report when you get back? I'm curious as to how many and when you saw them around Provo. Thanks, Robert
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your info. Kathleen can you tell me how to contact J&B Tours? Thanks
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 04:00 AM

Try the J&B Tours out of Leeward Marina, Box 416, Providenciales. No toll free number, but try calling 649-946-5047 or 649-946-5439 or Facsimile 649-946-5288. Robert
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Robert. I will definitely call them. I appreciate all the info. Hope I get to see them.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 08:13 PM

What terrific info. We will be in the D.R. in March. We were hoping to see whales - any ideas on tours or places to see them?
Thanks.