Reload this Page >

Westin or Hyatt Grand Cayman?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 01:18 PM
Mickey

Will be visiting the Caymans in June and would like to hear about your experiences at both or either resort. Which in your opinion was the best overall from a standpoint of location, beach/pool, restraunts, activities, and overall experience. Comments greatly appreciated.

Old May 7th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Cheryl

I just returned from Grand Cayman, and while I did not stay at the Hyatt or Westin (stayed at Turtle Nest Inn in a small town, Boddentown, about 20 minutes from Georgetown), we did spend quite a bit of time on Seven Mile Beach, and walked the beach from the Hyatt to the public beach north of the Avalon condos (which includes the stretch the Westin is on). While both beaches had a bit too many people for my preferences, in terms of beach alone I would definitely recommend the Westin over the Hyatt. Even though it was not a really busy time on 7MB, the beach at the Hyatt was packed with beach chairs lined up in straight rows facing the ocean, one on top of one another. It appears that is where the beach chairs are placed and then you just look for an empty one. The chairs were also very close together. At the Westin, it appeared that people could drag the chairs whereever they wanted to on the Westin's beach so people were not on top of one another. At both resorts, I noticed piles of beach chairs that were not in use ... I would imagine that during busy times when all chairs are being used, both beaches would be packed. June would probably not be a time of high crowds. (However the beach at the Westin was larger.)

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Pam

We also just returned from Grand Cayman and while we didn't stay at either of those resorts I would agree with the previous poster's opinion that the Westin appeared to be the nicer property. Also, the Westin is ON the beach while the Hyatt is across the street. Don't know how important that is to you, but if prices were comparable I would select the Westin.

Old May 7th, 2001, 04:57 PM
Tina

Mickey, <BR> <BR>We stayed for 2nd time at Westin over Easter Week - April 13 to April 20th. Westin wins hands down over Hyatt for the beach. We honeymooned at Hyatt 10 years ago and yes, it is a gorgeous property, but you do have to cross over the road on an over-the-road crosswalk to get to the beach. They have now built "beachfront suites" that are actually on the beach side but if you walk out of your very expensive suite, you will walk right into all the lined up beach chairs. We walked down to see them and the chairs are already set up and it looks like a movie theater set up of chairs! You could not pay me to stay at the Hyatt. <BR> <BR>You will not be disappointed at the Westin. Down the elevator (or just walk out the back doors of lobby if your room is on the 1st floor), out the back door and in 2 minutes you're on the beach. Yes, during Easter week it seemed more crowded Good Friday through probably Monday. But even then you would always be able to get a lounge chair and set up wherever you want. The beach at the Westin is large so you are never "on top" of anyone else. <BR> <BR>You can easily walk to some great restaurants - even down to the Hyatt was barely 15 minutes. You could take taxis, but it can add up if you use them all the time, or rent a car a few days. We did for 3 days and visited Georgetown, Turtle Farm, and restaurants that were too far to walk while we had the car. As you can tell, we're big fans of the Westin and Grand Cayman. <BR> <BR>Any more questions, feel free to e-mail. <BR> <BR>Tina

Old May 8th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Mickey

Tina, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the valuable info, sounds like it will be the Westin for us. Believe it or not, it's actually cheaper than the Hyatt the week we want to go (not by much, but hey, everything helps). I wanted to ask you how the rooms and the pool at the Westin were? Is it fairly close to town? Any info you could provide would be GREAT!!!