Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

weekend trip suggestions for couple needing to de-stress?

Notices

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,

i was hoping you guys could help us...my fiance and i are both super stressed out from work & are looking for a nice getaway - probably 3 nights - somewhere warm. we are thinking caribbean, maybe dominican republic? we are coming from nyc and would prefer not to have a crazy long plane ride since it is such a short getaway...

ideally we would like an all-inclusive with:
- great food!
- romantic atmosphere
- jacuzzi in room
- nice beach
- preferably no kids, or few? need some peace and quiet!
- activities like horsback riding, or snorkeling?

i know this is a lot to ask, so we won't hold out for everything - but would *really* like the great food, romance & beach. would love your suggestions if you have them! also, neither of us have ever been to an all-inclusive so any tips about them would be great.

thank you!

morgiane
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:13 AM

Turks and Caicos will fit all of your needs. Direct flight from NY. Romantic, best beach you'll ever see, Spa at the Palms is one of the best Spa's in the world! Great relaxing excursions, ex: Beach getaways, they drop you off an isolated cay with food, drinks, chairs, umbrellas, snorkel, fun day! Restaurants are terrific, and romantic, outside by the beach with incredible settings. Palms does get some kids, Somerset next door uses the Spa at Palms and is ultra luxurious. Call Somerset direct for special package deals. Other deals can be found at Palms, Grace Bay Club. GBC also low on kids. Other no kid places to check out: Turks and Caicos Club, Point Grace (gorgeous!) and a great bang for the buck-Royal West Indies.
Great snorkel trips, and off beach snorkeling too!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:01 AM

I agree with Blamona that T&C would be a great choice for a relaxing getaway (great beaches, romantic, snorkeling, etc.) but you stated that you wanted an AI property, and none of the hotels mentioned are AI. There are only two AIs in T&C - Beaches (family oriented) and Club Med (more spartan and singles/group-focused), and neither seem to offer what you are seeking IMO.

If three nights is your maximum, I would recommend restricting your search to locations that can be reached nonstop from NY and consider how long it is going to take you to get to your resort once you land.

The DR has a ton of AI resorts, but you can probably narrow down your choices pretty quickly by focusing on high-end properties that cater to adults (Secrets, Couples are some of the chains I think).

Cancun and surrounding areas also have some higher end couples-focused AI resorts that you might want to consider.

Depending on the time of year and flight options, other possible destinations might include Jamaica, Bahamas, and/or Bermuda.

Sorry for the lack of specificity, but my AI experiences are limited to a moderate AI resort in LaRomana, DR a few years ago and my upcoming trip to a spa AI resort in St. Lucia.

I don't want to start a debate on AIs but would encourage you to think about why you want AI. A lot of people like AIs because of the ease (i.e., no (or limited) planning or additional costs once you get there). However, in many locations that have both AI and non-AI hotels, AIs do not have the best food. Also, most AIs have a main restaurant where food is served buffet style. Some people like this and others don't. Most AIs have one or more restaurants where you are served (at least for dinner) but in some resorts, there are restrictions on how often you can eat at the speciality restaurants and/or it is difficult to get reservations.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks blamona & beachdreams3!

i am actually not tied to an all-inclusive at all - just thought maybe it would be easier to do a "one-stop-shop" sort of thing for such a short trip. But please, definitely do suggest alternatives if there is a better option!

so, if we don't do AI, is T&C the place to go? any other hotels recs other than the ones blamona has mentioned?

thank you!

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM

sorry-I didn't see the all inclusive part!
Personally, I 've had a blast all AI's, but find them to be more active-like cruises on land. If you can live without AI's, what I listed above is perfect for destressing!
If you had more time, I would recommend a couple of other places, but for destressing-T&C is perfect!
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM

I love anguilla for a great getaway. You can fly into st. martin and take a fast boat over to the island. once you're on the boat, all your stress will melt away!

We love Cap juluca. Incredibly beautiful, incredibly relaxing. Fantastic food on the island.

We have also stayed at Pt. Grace and I would go back there as well. I didn't find the food on Turks nearly as good though as on Anguilla.
Old Nov 9th, 2006, 04:20 PM

My husband and I did a recent romantic getaway to T&C and enjoyed it very much. The resort we stayed at does allow kids but if you're going during the school period, there won't be any there. Here's my trip report with pictures:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...5&tid=34879059
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 07:50 AM

I would second Point Grace.

If you can grab a charter flight, also would suggest Club Med Columbus Isle for its beach and snorkeling--better beach than Provo's, IMO, and that is saying something! Don't be put off by the Club Med name, it was one of the most relaxing trips DH and I ever took before kids.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:05 AM

I just got this from American Express- perhaps it will help!

1,000 MILES PER NIGHT AT PARADISUS RESORTS
Pamper yourself with a great winter getaway to a Paradisus Resort
in Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Mexico, or Puerto Rico,
and earn 1,000 miles per night. Book now and enjoy your warm-
weather stay in all-inclusive suite accommodations through
December 15, 2006.(6) Visit:
http://solmelia-push.worldmedia.net/....phtml?lpwpk=6

Debi
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

I did it! we are booked to go to T&C for 3 nights in december - staying at the royal west indies!

I am sure i will be asking many more questions about places to eat & things to do. We are SO excited. THANK YOU!