Week-long car rental on Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- Am going to Grand Cayman for Thanksgiving week. We are staying at Morritt's (I think that's the name of it anyway -- it's a timeshare exchange) and will be renting a car for the whole week. I really haven't had time yet to figure out what all we should do or what restaurants to go to or really anything. It's going to be a busy next month and a half figuring this stuff out. Anyway... there are the big international rental agencies, but I found Andy's online -- looks reputable and more reasonably priced than the Avises and Hertzes and such. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 08:09 AM

i used andy's on recent stay. they were very good. best is their location - which is directly across the road from the airport, an easy 2 min walk. when you walk out the airport front doors look to your slight right. plan more time than normal to pick up and drop off your car as the ladies in the office are very much on island time. one of party can easily go for car while others stay with bags.
morrits is located on the east end of the island. andy's will give you clear, easy to follow directions.

for dining without going all the way to seven mile beach (45-50 min drive) you'll have several options. arlains or viviene's for lunch-local ladies cook local fare in their homes at lunchtime & portofino for fancy lunch dinner. turn left out of moritts to those three. further on you'll find roland's - a unique spot where chef roland decides what to cook and that's whtat you get. reservation required/byob. ask locals what the current tab should be as roland asks you to pay what you think appropriate.
if you keep going you'll come to the lighthouse which is quite good.
the reef resort is next to morrits in easy walking distance and has food.
if you turn right out of moritts you'll be headed towards rum point - about 23 mins away. approx 2/3 way on the sea side is on the edge. looks like a dive, but is nice and has good local food served on a deck over the water and has fun bar. at rum point is the wreck bar on the beach for lunch a/or cocktails. also rum point restaurant - make a reservation for dinner preferably at sunset - this was our favortie restaurant! just past rum point is kaibo yacht club. they have a beachbar - good but don't get the burger. upstairs is their fine dining which was ok but we thought a bit pretentious.
we stayed at a house (thatch hill) you'll pass just before rum point, so did not go to seven mile very often. we did have one fabulous meal there at guy harvey's restaurant.
this page links you to most dining on the island: http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/index.html
click the maps tab. you're staying in section D, near the NE point of land.
another good site is:http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/index.asp
again click on the map section. better maps actually.

across the street from the reef is a mini mall. soso bakery, liquor store, minigrocery and a nice gift shop. (if you plan to drink in your room get duty free at airport on your way. island booze is way pricey) ice and mixers plentiful at minigrocery.

on way to rum pt you go through old may bay - it's the only intersection you come to. (mini side trip is turn right into gun bay cemetary)
you bear right at intersection to rum point. if you bear left there is a gas station just around the curve. further down road with gas station are mastic trail and botanical gardens. mastic is good hike with native plants left as they were, botanical garden is gorgeous plants from around the world beautifully landscaped. go early to both to avoid heat and take cold water. this is the road that connects with perimter road to georgetown/seven mile/airport.
over on seven mile is a turtle farm. ok if you've never seen turtles but it made me a smidge uncomfortable. tour interesting, turtles crowded and it is a Farm.
across from turtle farm is dolphin swim place. we did not go as again i object to the captive, train them to do tricks aspect, but it's there.
take an excursion to sting ray city. if you dive do that trip on i think fri afternoon.
hope this helps. you're going to a gorgeous part of the island.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM

second reco for Andys. Very hassle free! Although, in GC you drive on the left but sit on the right...that took a few days to get used to.

Peace, Greenie
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Did book the car with them. Thanks for the recommendations. I knew it was left-side driving and British-type vehicles (i.e., right-side driver) -- hopefully, it won't be too difficult to get used to. Had no real problem in St. Croix the times I've been there, but the car isn't "backwards". Thanks also, Virginia, for the other recommendations and links! They will help in getting my research started.
Old Oct 6th, 2009, 05:42 PM

When I rented a car from Andy's (at the SMB location) last December, I got a left hand side vehicle. Avis also had both right and left side drive cars, but I seem to recall with Avis that you had to rent at least a full size car to get LHS drive.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 02:10 AM

Anyone ever used McCurleys???