Reload this Page >

WARNING!! ST. CROIX, USVI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 1998, 09:39 AM
Ripped-Off

My partner of 25 years, Brad, and I had planned a week’s vacation on the island of St. Croix, USVI, at a resort called “On the Beach,” located just outside the town of Frederiksted. We reserved our January stay by telephoning the resort in October and immediately forwarded the required advance deposit of $642.50, (50%25 of
the price for a week’s stay). The hotel told us credit cards were not accepted for the deposit payment, only personal checks or money orders. AFTER cashing our check, the hotel sent us a written confirmation containing notice of a “60-day cancellation notice” requirement for high season.

Approximately 10 days before our departure, Brad learned he had multiple myeloma, or cancer of the bone marrow, and would have to begin chemotherapy and radiation treatments without delay. We immediately telephoned the hotel, explained the situation, and sent them a confirming letter requesting- given the circumstances- the return of our deposit. The hotel employee with whom we spoke offered her sympathy, advised us that she would convey our request to the owner of the hotel, and suggested that Brad’s physician send them a letter confirming his illness and inability to travel, which was done.

We have never received a response to our letter, and in repeated telephone calls made to the owner of On the Beach, Ronald Smith, we were told that he was unavailable. After trying unsuccessfully for 3 weeks to reach Mr. Smith, he answered the telephone on January 24th. He coldly, rudely, and loudly reiterated the hotel’s
60-day cancellation policy, alleged he was unable to re-book our room and advised that he was “sharing his loss” with us. It is telling that he believes a physician's letter to be inadequate proof of our dilemma, but asks us to accept his verbal assertion that he was unable to re-book our room with ten days notice, in the high season of a booming economy, rather than pocketing our $642.00. Owner Ronald Smith's habit, demonstrated in the 2 telephone conversations we have had with him with him as of 1/26/98, is to yell loudly and slam the phone down in mid-sentence, disconnecting the call. Under new ownership, this appears to be a very different place from the resort that was so highly recommended to us by friends. Our total loss of $642.50 poses a financial hardship given the situation we are now facing.

Our advice re: "On the Beach" resort: STAY AWAY!!!!!!!

ANYONE WISHING TO EXPRESS SUPPORT OR CONCERN DIRECTLY TO "ON THE BEACH" MAY TELEPHONE THEM, TOLL-FREE @ 1-800-524-2018. THANK YOU!

Old Feb 3rd, 1998, 06:50 AM
Brandi

What you should do is contact conde nast traveler magazine, they also have a website. They have a complaint department and might be able to help with your situation. Give it a try!

Old Feb 5th, 1998, 09:43 AM
Jean E. Bowers

I can understand how frustrating dealing with hotels can be. I have been a long standing customer of trip insurance. Had you had that and since your hus bands illness was a new one you would have received your deposit back and it only would have cost you the price of the insurance. I don't beieve the the policy of not returning a deposit is personal. Hotels in the Caribbean make the year on the sales from October to April. If the hotel could not rebook your room it sat empty for the week. The deposit helped to defray the cost to them at having it sit empty. Is it fair, no. Buisness is buisness and a policy usually wins out. Please don't think that I am being flip. Next time ask if a policy is written in stone with no exceptions. Ask that a copy of the rules be sent to you. I find that the problem with trip insurance is that it does not cover pre existing health problems. I booked a Windjammer Cruise and lost the entire amount I paid. I have ulcerative colitis and had a flare up. I did not take out insurance because of the exclusion. I hope that you have better luck next time and hope your husband recovers.