Virgin Gorda: Budget Places to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! This will be my first time traveling to the BVI for a week at the end of July and I thought I would see if anyone had tips on where to stay?

So far I've booked a hostel on Tortola for two nights (Near-D-Beach Limin Bar). Wasn't sure how good this place would be, but for $100/night it didn't seem like a bad choice, especially since the airport is 10 minutes away. If I find something better I can always cancel this reservation.

From there I'm planning on taking a ferry to Virgin Gorda. I was going to stay at the Guavaberry Resort for a couple nights so that my friend and I can go rock climbing at the Baths.

Does anyone have any tips for us? We're trying to find somewhere to stay that isn't too expensive (less than $150/night) but is still safe. We're two younger women traveling and safety is our top priority--though from the browsing I've done on the BVI I have noticed that crime isn't very common.

Any tips/suggestions would be great. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Isn't Guavaberry in your price range? It would be a perfet place to stay, given your travel desires.

I'd think that any place at all on VG would be safe enough for two women to stay. Or put another way, there's nowhere on the island that I wouldn't stay solo for safety reasons. I probably wouldn't choose Leverick Bay, but that's because of location, not safety.
Old Jul 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM

Fischer's Cove Beach Hotel also comes in close to your budget. It is about 2 miles from the Baths.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 02:55 AM

Guavaberry should be perfect. They have a path right down to
Spring Bay Beach, which is adjacent to The Baths, but less crowded, also with rock formations.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Hi, Rockclimbergirl -

Are you planning to rent a car on Tortola? The location at Josiah's Bay is nice, but not what I'd recommend for a first trip to Tortola. It's very quiet there - not a lot going on in that area. The beach is nice, though it's one of the best beaches for surfing, moreso than for swimming.

My first trip I stayed in Cane Garden Bay - Rhymer's or Myett's would be your price range, I think - it's a great central spot with music, restaurants, good beach, easy access to other beaches and taxis. I'd recommend that area over Josiah's Bay.
Old Jul 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your tips! We decided to stay at Guavaberry for most of our upcoming trip!

On a side note, does anyone know if pepper spray is allowed into the BVI? I know it is allowed for flight in the US (if it's in checked luggage) but wasn't sure if it would be confiscated? Just trying to be precautious...
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM

According the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force, Pepper Spray is illegal in the British Virgin Islands. You will not be allowed to bring this item into the BVI.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:57 AM

I just got back from Virgin Gorda last week. I'm a single woman and I traveled there alone. I was completely safe. I went diving everyday and to the beaches alone and no one bothered me. The people there are mellow and rather friendly. Crime is almost nonexistant. They rely heavily on tourists so no one interferes or bothers visitors. I stayed at Leverick Bay Resort and Marina and it is nice and affordable....Hope this helps...have fun