Reload this Page >

Virgin Gorda - Best Location on Island to Stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 05:22 AM
karen

We are contemplating a trip this November to Virgin Gorda and want to rent a villa. Is there a "better" part of the island that would be recommended, i.e., for beaches, better waters, etc. We have found a few villas we like, but would appreciate any recommendations that anyone would made. Additionally, has anyone found any reasonable airfare from the east coast. I have been quoted close to $1,000 pp round trip from Pgh by USAirways and American. We have traveled to St. John for the last 6 years into STT and have never paid more than $600 pp. Last year, the fare with the coupons offered by Kiplinger was around $438. Any help would be most appreciated.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 07:25 AM
sj

Look into Guavaberry Springbay. They have individual cottages built into the hillside. Each has a full kitchen and lovely porch with dining table and lounge chairs. They have both one and two bedroom units; all units are nicely spaced so you are not on top of your neighbors and the vies from the porches are gorgeous. It is a two minute walk down from your cottage to a beautiful beach where there are comfy lounge chairs and some nice snorkeling. You can walk to the Baths early in the morning or late in the afternoon and avoid crowds. It is just a short ride into "town" for supplies and there is a small commissary on the property. Can't give any suggestions on air -- it is very high right now for the Caribbean!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Jim

Try www.leverickbay.com<BR>There are some great villas available through them.<BR>

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Karen

We stayed last year at Nail Bay Villas - it's on an unpaved road that you'll need a 4x4 to get to but worth it - amazing views, quiet location. The beach is a short walk from the rooms down the hillside as the villas sit on a hilltop, and a gorgeous beach on your way to the resort too. The couple who manage the place are great too. The food at the small open air restaurant is surprisingly good as well and has a great view at dinner. The website is nailbayresort.com. <BR>The island is very small so it doesn't matter really which part of the island you stay at. Take lots of bug spray - they are everywhere.

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 06:36 PM
linda

Karen,<BR> Are you quoting Tortola, VG or ST Thomas? Flying into Tortola is high- we flew to ST T and ferried into Tortola.<BR>Go to travelocity.com and plug your info into the fare watcher program. They will notify you when the fares drop. Good luck!

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 06:45 AM
karen

Thanks everyone for your responses. Linda, re airfare, I was quoted fares into San Juan and then a small plane into Virgin Gorda. Surprisingly, I checked air into STT and it was nearly $900 pp - twice as much as we paid last November, so the $1,000 was not too much off the mark for Virgin Gorda. Many posters have commented that it is very difficult coordinate the ferry schedules with your air arrival and departures and that you only save about $75 pp and it takes a good deal longer. Perhaps you were able to make everything mesh with your arrival and departures easily. I will check Travelocity and some of the websites that some of you recommended. Thanks again.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Mike

Just purchased air fare to BVI from NYC - for July travel - but I think the lessons learned are generally applicable to all dates. Tried the air travel websites and rates were cheapest at travelocity ($500pp, 2 adults, 2 kids), but the itinerary was rediculous - plus my wife was concerned about the 8(?) seat, Cape Air "puddle jumpers" from San Juan. A USVI travel agency had American Air tickets discounted more heavily than the web sites (about $600pp- 2 adults, 2 kids), but this was a 100% restricted ticket - no change whatsoever, regardless of payment of change fee. I ended up using a local travel agent, who in turn used a "bulk discounter" ($500+/-pp- 2 adults, 2 kids). The discounter insisted on making the hotel reservations, even though I had already made them - it worked out OK. I now have exactly the flights I want - AA from JFK to BVI via San Juan, returning from St. Thomas to JFK non stop - at a savings of about 30% over AA's and Expedia's web site.