Dullest Carribean island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize dull is probably a relative term, but I'm curious to know which islands people would skip because there's nothing much to do or see outside of the resort?
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM

Hmmm...interesting question. As a sidestep to your question, I'm going to say Statia and Saba. The former has less tourist infrastructure than the rest of the islands and the latter has no beaches. Saba's big draws are the diving & the views.

All of the islands I've visited have had more things to do outside the places I've stayed (both resorts and villas) than I had time to see and do. Some folks suggest not leaving the resort in the Dominican Republic or Jamaica due to safety issues but I think that's poppycock myself. Haiti is the only country I'd warn you away from for safety issues.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Any island w/tons of resorts. Since all of them are basically the same, why bother ? Most people likely skip the places I go (or want to) Montserrat, Saba, Dominica, etc. There is little attractive to me about any resort that can be plopped down on any piece of sand anywhere & you'd barely know the difference. Would you care to refrase ?
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM

When you have seen Dunns River Falls in Jamaica, you've seen about all the "sights" there. To me, it's a dull place..Otherwise, one wonders why all the "better" resorts are always surrounded by 6 ft. walls. Makes you think about what they want to keep OUT of those compounds.
Grand Cayman is even duller. When You've seen 7 mile beach.....
On the positive side of the ledger, check out St. Lucia.
Old Feb 24th, 2009, 04:20 PM

Dull is truly a relative term. Every island offers something unless it is a tiny spit of sand with nothing els on it at all. I agree with the above poster who mentioned an island with a lot of resorts. So many of the resorts are just like being back in the states. Now, don't get me wrong - I love a beautiful resort, but I am not going to travel long distances to get to something that I can more easily visit stateside.

I personally like "boring" islands. I am so busy in my work life that I look for a vacation with nice beaches, snorkeling and a quiet place to read. I don't want to have to take a vacation to get over my vacation. But some people like lots of activities and that is fine.

I think each person should know their likes and dislikes and then pick the island that matches what they want to do. Any place is boring if it does not match your interests.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Snork, same w/me, I'm looking for something new, something different & possibly (the horrors) even educational. But most of the places I seek would have boring attached too them. That's OK, because people (lots of them) are one thing I am always trying to get away from. So I'm not a 'resort-type' nor a 'cruiser'.
Old Feb 25th, 2009, 06:52 AM

I agree with snorkelcat. My favorite place is Palm Island in the Grenadines. I loved the boat ride from Union Island and the way the GM met us along with a bartender who had rum punch with the tropical flower to welcome us. We had a great cottage where we listened to the ocean at night. The water was bright and clean. But, there doesn't exist much outside of the resort as it is a private island. Part of what I love about the place.

Someplace like GC had wonderful restaurants, beautiful water and it's a clean island. We sincerely thought we would enjoy our time there. I wouldn't say it was a waste of our money to go there, but it's not someplace we will go back to.