Reload this Page >

Villa in St John choices for honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:55 AM
Nancy

My fiancee and I have checked almost all the<BR>villa sites in St. John for our honeymoon..<BR>Here are are choices...Please write if any<BR>of you have stayed in these villas and please<BR>give your opinion.<BR><BR>Orchid Hill<BR>Safari<BR>Gate House<BR>Hawksnest<BR>Anole<BR>Escape<BR><BR>Thank s, <BR>Nancy

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:35 AM
jim

Nancy, I've stayed at Hawksnest several times. It sits high above Hawksnest Beach, and has tremendous views, especially at night with the lights of St. Thomas on the horizon. 4BR, 4.5BA, each room is basically the same, with private balcony and outdoor shower. Very nice layout, and not a lot of neighbors as you are within the National Park. You are also very close to the North Shore beaches, which you will find is quite a plus. There is a very large hot tub, or "soaking tub" on the deck. Not really a pool, but nonetheless, it is a good place to go to cool off (or if you heat it up, a very nice hot tub). No A/C, but it does not pose a problem really, except for a couple of hours in the afternoon. The house faces west, so it does get just a bit warm, but the ceiling fans and trade winds cool you off. I would highly recommend it.<BR><BR>I haven't stayed at Gate House (I assume the one in Peter Bay), but I've heard very good things about it. We stay in a different house in Peter Bay, so we pass it all the time. While it is the Peter Bay house furthest from the water, there is a nice trail that takes you to the beach.<BR><BR>You probably can't go wrong with any of these selections -- they are all just different versions of paradise.<BR><BR>- Jim

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:41 AM
KATE

My husband and I stayed in Orchid Hill last July and loved it. the pictures on the website do not do it justice.The views , the grounds and the pool were incredible. The location is great as it is a 10 minute drive to town. There is a tricky uphill turn as you approach the villa but nothing you couldn't handle.I really have to say it was the best vacation we had ever been on.<BR>let me know if you need more info.<BR>By the way you should rent with vacation vistas as wimco charges a lot more for this villa.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Nancy

Hi Jim,<BR>Thanks so much for responding..Hawksnest<BR>is one of our favorites...We did see<BR>the Peter Bay House but I think that's<BR>the one that is very very expensive.<BR>We are going to be there in May 2002<BR><BR>It seems to me that staying on the <BR>North Shore is the better of all the<BR>locations from what I have read..<BR><BR>There are also some other lovely villas<BR>in the Chocolate Hole area...any more<BR>insight from you would be very much<BR>appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks Jim,<BR>Nancy

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:57 AM
kate

For Jim:<BR>I am renting a villa on the North shore in a couple weeks and wanted to know how the dirt roads leading to the villas are?? I am going to be in the Cinnamon Bay area. Any info would be great.<BR>thanks

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:01 AM
nancy

Kate,<BR>Re: Orchid Hill Villa...how close is the<BR>nearest beach...or do you think the villas or the North side i.e. Hawksnest<BR>have a better location....<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 11:22 AM
KATE

Nancy,<BR>We only went to the North shore beaches but there are beaches closer to Orchid hill. I thought the location of the villa was great because of the proximity to Cruz Bay and the market.We would go to town for breakfast and some shopping and then head to the north shore. We went to a different beach every day and then on the way back would stop at the market to pick up snacks or whatever and then spend the late afternoon by the pool as it gets full sun until about 6 or so. That was another great thing about orchid hill- the pool is in full sun all day long-but then it has that great covered "living room" area if you need to be in the shade.Then, after a day in the sun back to cruz bay for dinner.The road into town was very easy to handle unlike the road from cruz bay to the north shore- an adventure but nothing unmanageable.<BR>We are staying on the north shore this year but just beacuse we booked very late and it was the best villa available. I am a little concerned (though my husband is not) about the roads that will lead to our villa on the north shore. But the place we are staying looks amazing so I am sure I will get over it.<BR>The neighborhood that Orchid Hill is in is very residential and very quite. You have a lot of privacy there as the villa is at the top of a hill with neighbors below you.<BR>I would have most certainly booked Orchid Hill again this year but it was booked already.<BR>The north shore is really a beautiful area - I am sure either location will make you happy.<BR>When are you going on your honeymoon??I can email you when I get back mid july and let you know how staying on the north shore compares with Chocolate hole..Let me know and good luck with whatever you decide...<BR>

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 08:02 AM
mike

Kate - We stayed at a villa last year overlooking Cinnamon Bay and it was our best St. John location, we had previously stayed in Reef Bay. The road to get to the villa was gravel and was a little easier than the road to reef bay. However, that is all relative, it is St. John, which means it will be winding, bumpy, pot holed and skinny....that's part of the adventure!

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 07:38 AM
nancy

Hi Kate,<BR>Thanks so much for all your info...<BR>our honeymoon isn't until next May but<BR>I know these villas have to be booked<BR>within the next few months...seems they<BR>get booked fast...<BR><BR>Which villa are you staying at this time...I saw another one that looks<BR>amazing..."Highpoint" near Cinnamon Bay.<BR>Is that a good location...boy...this<BR>villa thing is getting confusing...<BR>but Orchid Hill still sound great...<BR>thanks to you and your input...<BR><BR>Please drop me an email after you come<BR>back and if you have any other suggestions of villas, let me know..<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nancy

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Jim

Regarding the dirt roads, some can be a bit difficult to traverse, especially after a rain, but it is do-able. Most are either concrete or partial concrete (i.e. enough for the tires to grip). <BR> <BR>I've never stayed in Chocolate Hole (or any other location on the South Shore), basically because I thought it too far from the beaches where I would normally be (North Shore). While I'm sure there are some secluded spots, it just seemed much more built up (and therefore less private). I am quite sure that on a dollar per square foot, the rentals are much less expensive on the South Side, with many more to choose from. Anything near Cinnamon is an excellent location. <BR> <BR>- Jim

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 01:54 PM
darlene

Save your money for fabulous dinners and stay at Valley View. It is a great hideaway, very private and the owners live upstairs. Never hear or see them unless we chose to. The pool is up by them but private none the less. We have stayed here many times even before our honeymoon. It is really very pretty and has everything you need. The owners are great people.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:33 AM
karen

Hi, Nancy -\ <BR> <BR>We stayed at Anole three years ago. A lovely villa with 4 bedrooms and 4 baths - all equal in size. Of course, you don't care since it's just the two of you. The views were spectacular and we were the second guest in Anole - it was that new. The only drawback in our opinion was the pool. It was in the shade the majority of the day - always in the afternoons when we returned from the beaches and wanted to swim. Also, because it was in the shade, the water was quite cool. We used it once the entire time. We have always rented a villa with pool and really enjoy that. For this reason only, we would not rent Anole again. Hope this helps. We have always liked the location of Hawksnest, but didn't think it had a pool. I don't know if that is important to you.