vieques restaurants and more

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would really appreciate advice about where my husband and I should eat dinner and other meals on Vieques. For dinner would like to mix it up with a few fine food restaurants with lovely atmosphere and a few more casual, good fresh food, especially fish and salads, but not too noisy. How do you coordinate the biosphere at night and fit in a meal?
Is it possible to have a rental car wainting at the airport? Suggestions for lunch or breakfast? Leaving next week. Sounds like a very special place. Thanks.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM

Caribtraveler posted a great trip report with info that will help you out -- comes with pictures, too!

http://tinyurl.com/2uwtk3

I suppose you could have a car waiting, we didn't try that as the villa person picked us up and drove us a very short distance to Martineau Car Rental.

Check out this website if you haven't already:

www.enchanted-isle.com

If you still have questions, come on back.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM

bananas has a great casula atmosphere - usually live music is there or nearby and the sunset is lovely

i had the snapper burger and their home made chips are awesome! very economical too (<$15)
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM

we enjoyed Bananas for sandwiches and munchies-type fare but were pretty disappointed in their entrees. good burgers and jerk chicken appetizer, though. this is on the malecon in esperanza.

we also really liked Cafe Media Luna for a more upscale meal, with really terrific desserts. this is in isabel ii and offers romantic patio for parties of two on the second floor balcony. we have nothing but praise for this place, but others here on the forum report mixed tales.

for casual lunch or dinner, the open air cafe at Inn on the Blue Horizon is fun and funky. Solid food at medium prices.

We also enjoyed Tradewinds, particularly the seafood, which is located right before the malecon begins in Esperanza.

If you like flan you must try stopping by the Flan Lady's house to buy some. Also in Esperanza.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to each of you for your advice. Late work night tonight, but I'll probably have questions by Friday.
Also, right now the plan is to stay at Martineau, was a very good rate and I was excited about being able to walk right out to the beach for walking and swimming: but, Caribtraveler suggested that it is too rocky for swimming and very windy. I was also interested in Hacienda Tamarindo. Any advice about choosing between these for beach walking, swimming, nearness to restaurants, car rental and so on.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:05 AM

hacienda tamarindo is in walking distance to the beach in esperanza and the restaurants there. you really want to rent a car for the best of the beaches.
It appears that you have not booked your car yet, but you are going next week?? when you call to book, you can askif they will meet you there, sometimes they will and sometimes not. there are always publicos (taxis) waiting at the airport.
Lots of the restaurants are starting to close for the season.
Do try all the local places for food...very good and great prices. In fact I recommend breakfast at the panderias in town (isabel) sandwiches made on the wonderful fresh baked pan!
enjoy your trip...
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:34 AM

Soggydollar, your comment about restaurants being "closed for the season" caught my eye. We'll be there in August. In the planning of our trip, how will we know which restaurants will be open when we get there?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:29 AM

Though I've not stayed at Martineau Bay, I would imagine that it and Hacienda Tamarindo complement each other fairly well. One is more intimate, with an emphasis on personal touches while the other is a larger resort with far more amenities and facilities. I prefer the easy ambience of Hacienda Tamarindo, which is why I chose it for my stay in Vieques, but there are just as many people who would opt for the modern but gracious setting of the resort.

I liked the quietness of HacTam, the beautiful views down to the sea, and the full local color (the resident dog, Barkley, the redident parrot, the interesting staff, the refreshing pool, and the odd nooks and crannies decorated with antiques.

While it has lovely views of the sea, and you can easily walk to the water's edge (on a cliff) from HacTam, I wouldn't describe it as within an easy walking distance of the closest beach. In my opinion it would be a fairly long and somewhat arduous walk along the main road leading into town, which is peppered with livestock and cars going just a shade too fast for my own comfort. I like walking but I don't like walking on a road with little to no shoulder in traffic. Then again, you'll find other folks saying they don't mind the walk and that a 20-30 minute walk to the beach is not long at all!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Maggie- so far I know that Chez Shack and Island Steakhouse have closed for the season, though the downstairs bar area at the Crow's Nest remains open with food.
If you go to the enchanted isle website that beachgirl posted above and download the "vieques events" , there should be info there as things happen.
Want to tell people that we had a really great breakfast this morning at the place that used to be violetta...not sure of the name, but on tues nights they have a mexican night and serve breakfasts several days a week. all mexican. had a great breakfast burrito...
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Thanks soggydollar. Keep us informed of the good places to eat, eh?
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all, again. Soggydollar, do keep us posted on the restaurants. Enjoy your vacation.

Berny
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I have to say, after being her since Jan. scheduled to go back to Maine mid May (they are still getting snow) I love it here more and more every day and really do not want to go home...Ithink DH is starting to feel the same way.
time will tell, but I have to thank DH for making our current situation work. I finally got a job and it feels good to be useful again