Reload this Page >

VACATION WITH A TWO-YEAR-OLD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 1998, 08:51 AM
Lisa Stratton

My husband and I are dying to get away this spring or fall to a warm, relaxing destination. So far we have found only a few resorts with daycare/babysitting for children under 3. Most are in Jamaica (all inclusives in Boscabel Beach, Negril). We've been to that island and wish to go somewhere else. We are quite interested in the Beaches resort on Turks & Caicos but haven't decided for sure. Club Meds are another option we have found (Dominican Repub., Ixtap, Mexico and Eleuthra, Bahamas) but are also unsure about. Our son does not go to a daycare facility at home, so we're nervous about quality and safety. Any suggestion/tips?

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 07:50 AM
Carol

Dear Lisa,
My husband and I have two children, aged 3 1/2 and 15 months and love to travel. While we have not been to any of the resorts you mentioned, I recently received information from Windjammer Landing in St. Lucia (www.wlv-resort.com) and they include a nanny in the cost of the vacation. I don't know anyone who's been there, but you might want to check it out.
Last year, we made a last minute April trip to Disney's Vero Beach resort in Florida and loved it. It's not romantic--but it is kid friendly. You can't rooms or condos and all are lovely. It's right on the ocean (you can even push a stroller down to the beach) and they contract with Kindercare for babysitting. We chose not to use the babysitting service but I would have done so without a worry--Disney can't afford to have a childcare disaster!
If your child, like ours, hasn't been in day care before, you may want to consider whether he/she will actually leave you to go to a stranger. You could spend extra money to go to a child care-type place and find that he/she won't leave your side!
Have fun. We're hoping to go to the Buccanneer in St. Croix in April.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 11:11 AM
Jane Scelta

My husband and I went to Club Med/Eleuthera with our 18 month old in early December. We had a wonderful time. They totally cater to children. It was kind of weird being around so many children but it was nice, no one cared if your child was throwing all his food on the floor in the cafeteria or throwing a tantrum. Our son does not go to daycare either. He had no trouble with my husband and I leaving him there but when I did come to pick him up he was very clingy, I imagine because he missed me. Our son took part in the Baby club (12-24 mos.) so the activities were limited. They do suggest that if you leave your child for the first time, that you do it for an hour or so. That's what we did. They offered alot more activities for the older children.
They had food in the cafeteria for the children -- hot dogs, yogurt, cheerios, baby food, etc.

We went while schools were in session, so the resort was only a third to half full. Because of this we recieved alot of private lessons in tennis, sailing and golf. The G.O.'s (gracious organizers -- people who run the place) really got to know us. The island is beautiful and sand on the beach is light pink and like confectionary sugar. The island is not very populated. My husband just spent our time and did not go sightseeing. We were busy enough at Club Med. I really enjoyed it and hope to go back their next December.

Old Jan 27th, 1998, 05:36 PM
Brandi

Heres another website you should look up. Go to your search and type conde nast then click traveler. When you get to their homepage click forums, then child's play. It gives a list and reviews of kid friendly spots. Hope this helps you out.

Old Feb 1st, 1998, 11:43 AM
Richard

We have two daughters, 4 & 2 years old. Last January, we went to Club Med Ixtapa. In short, child care was great, everything else was not worth the money. This includes everything from the charter flight to the room to meals to activities. Three years ago with only a 1 year old (almost two), we cruised with Carnival because they were the only line which would watch a child that young. Child care was OK, cruise line is terrible compared to Princess & RCCL. Only problem is that PCL & RCCL do not have adequate child care to the younger ages. Don't let them fool you. PCL will tell you the program goes to two years old. However, they will not give any food and they will not change diapers. This winter, we are trying Akumal Mexico with Rascals In Paradise (www.rascalsinparadise.com). They are advertising a special family week with all day child care. A travel newspaper columnist gave us their name. So far, their service has been great. I hope the vacation is as good. Good luck to you, feel free to e-mail us to talk further.