Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Turks/Caicos Airport ...Is it really that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2023, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been reading about arrivals and departures at this small airport and sounds like a nightmare with lines and delays due to traffic. Reports are that Saturdays should be avoided at all costs. Not enough staff at airport seems to be issue and too many planes arriving and departing for the size of the airport. Any personal experiences? That combined with the absurd cost to get a room with oceanview make me wonder if I should start looking elsewhere. Thanks.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 04:52 AM

Yes, arrivals at PLS can be a Zoo, especially on weekends when there's a good chance there will be a number of flights arriving around the same time. At busy times it can take anywhere from 45 to 90 minutes to retrieve any checked luggage and clear immigration and customs. Many people opt for FastTrack (www.fasttracktci.com) service which substantially cuts down on the time spent at the airport. Those who use it regularly estimate they routinely are able to be on their way to within 20 to 30 minute of getting off the plane. For them, the cost is well worth it.
Old Dec 18th, 2023, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you..yes seems like that is the way to go...with so many once a week flights from US operating on Sat. I expect a mob scene in Feb.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 04:02 AM

I’ve been a couple of times to PLS & have not experienced a mob scene or delays entering the country or overcrowding. And will be going again next year but will be avoiding the weekends.

But the return experience at the airport has always been a bit of a nightmare.
Small islands, small airports, all part of the experience.

You can add the arrival flights from the U.K. to the mix, BA (Thurs & Sun) VS (Sat & Wed) twice a week. The only good news is that the BA flight is via NAS and usually there aren’t many travellers who go into PLS.

I wouldn’t pay for FT, if it takes 45-1hr to get thru immigration & collect luggage, that’s pretty normal anywhere. But I understand Americans tend to be in a hurry.

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 02:28 PM

Yes, it's that bad. I just got back. While most people at TCI are wonderful, it's like they hire the meanest at the airport. Or the airport makes them mean. They told us to be at the airport at 5am to check in. We got there at 5:30, third in line. Counter agents arrived at 8 and started seeing passengers at 8:15. We finished checking in at 10, for a 10 am flight. Flight was moved to 11 and took off at 11:30. The airport is way too small for the traffic it handles.