COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Turks & Caicos with Kids

Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Turks & Caicos with Kids

Hello fellow travellers - Would love any advice on T&C accommodations with children. Hoping to go this spring with my 3-year old son, and a friend with her two children aged 4 years and 18-months. Looking at Regent Palms and Grace Bay Club. We are discerning travellers, but want this to be a fun vacation for us all. In other words - if the kids are happy then so are the moms. Many thanks.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 12:24 PM

We stayed at the regent palms last february and really thought it was perfect. Our room (a one bedroom suite) was large and magnificent. We had an ocean view room and I really cannot say enough good things about it (We often stay at Ritz Carltons and Four seasons and this was comparable if not, really, better. ) Full kitchen with viking appliances, marble, mahogany etc. We traveled with our now four year old and she had a wonderful time and made some friends around the gorgeous pool. There were definitely families staying at the resort, and I like to say it is child friendly, but not child-centric.

I know Grace Bay Club has a separate hotel area for families which also might work for you. When we were travelling, the Regent palms offered a get one night free special which made it much less expensive than Grace Bay. RP is definitely 5 star.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:11 AM

Grace Bay Club has the best kid's club/babysitting on the island. Morgan there is fantastic!

Palms does have a kid's club, I think you have to be 3 to enjoy it.

I personally have never used a babysitter on the island, but I have used Morgan's kid club at Grace Bay Club-she's really good at responding. All the resorts of these calibers offer babysitters. I do know, just to let you know, that the going rate for babysitters is $20 hourly for 1-2 kids, then they add for more children.

Both are nice resorts, both have a Four Seasons feel to me, with Grace Bay Club feeling more traditional, Palms feeling a little more chic. Both have service on the beach (great for not lugging and packing things up each time). Both have a casual restaurant and an upscale restaurant, but Anacaona on Grace Bay Club does not allow children under 12. Grace Bay Club has a traditional, almost Spanish look, with stucco and orange tiled roofs; and all of the units are beach view. Palms has a Barbados type look with limestone walls.

I personally like the location of Palms better, I like their beachfront just a little more. (That part is relative--the entire beach is stunning. GBC has a wider beach, but the way the reef is, if there are waves, Palms will be a little bit calmer and clearer water---this is just being slightly picky, as the entire beach blows away any others in the Caribbean)

I also like that Palms is next to Somerset (my personal favorite!)--Tuesday nights they have terrific live music on the sand with lobster madness--tables on the sand, bare feet for dinner and dancing-awesome. Friday nights Daniel and Nadine sing at the patio of O'Soleil, again awesome (order tapas for dinner) so easy to walk over from Palms.

While GBC Villas has children, for some reason, I think Palms attracts more families, easier to mingle with other kids.

Next to Palms is the excellent Caicos Dream Tours, highly recommend boat ride to snorkel, dive for conch (waist high water) and search sand dollars and explore the glorious beaches of the cays-especially Half Moon Bay. (it's really special) It's a catamaran power boat, so more stable than sailing--good for the kids. I have taken my (then) 18 month old on it, she loved it--or you may want a babysitter, but do not miss it!
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 04:19 AM

When we stayed at the Palms we did use their babysitting service. I don't remember our sitters name, but she was wonderful. She was so sweet and my DD loved her. On our last night she even brought my DD a small stuffed animal, which I thought was very sweet.

The kids club at the palms starts at 4, but if your child is close to 4, they might make an exception.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice. We have booked a suite in the new Veranda resort for the last week of March. I promise to provide a full review once we are home.