trying to figure out which island to go for christmas with older teens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are looking for a reasonable, clean, safe hotel/resort to stay with teens and college age kids. Nothing to wild but it can't be the "romantic hideways" with them. Looking to keep them busy with adventure tourism rather than bars and clubs! A little nightlife would not to so bad though. St Lucia keeps coming up because the terrain is so interesting. Open to ideas!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 03:08 AM

st. maarten is great, there is alot going on there for teens.
but consider aruba as well. i can suggest the boardwalk aruba to stay at, it's across from the marriott and you'll have a full kitchen, etc...by all means check it out!
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:53 AM

If you've never been to St. Maarten, you should give it a try. But I must warn you...you may get hooked!lol
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:00 PM

My kids absolutely loved Playa del Carmen on the Riveria Maya in Mexico. We stayed w/ friends, so I can't make a hotel recommendation, but in terms of '"adventure tourism", this is a good place to base yourselves. You can take a day trip by ferry to X-Caret, an eco-park, drive to the ruins at Tulum or Coba, or explore the beach at Akumal.

Playa has an amazing downtown that is pedestrian-only, and full of wonderful small restaurants, boutiques, clubs, etc., so there is never a dearth of things to do. Many of the hotels are within walking distance to the main part of town, so definitely ask around and try to book into one of those.

My other suggestion- although we haven't been yet- is Costa Rica or Belize, either of which is famous for s eco-tourism and beautiful, small hotels in the jungle, but they might be too remote for your kids?

On another subject, I don't mean to be rude, but I think St. Maarten is better for younger kids and honeymooners. Aruba is OK, but very, very Americanized, and not nearly as interesting or beautiful as many of the other islands in the Caribbean.

A last thought, and again an island I've not yet visited, but what about St. Lucia? It's definitely been on my radar lately, and seems to get glowing recommendations from visitors interested in adventure tourism and natural beauty.

Good luck!
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 06:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
After 20+islands, here are my thoughts for a place with teens & college kids---again just my opinion. There are many others.

Aruba would fit the bill. Very active and safe with lots to do. Palm beach is our choice. Busy with lots of hotel and restaurant choices to walk to, plus music on the beach at various places. Eagle beach is more condo oriented and a bit quieter and you would probably need a car.

Your other choices mentioned---St. Lucia and Martinique to me are more for couples. St Martin, very busy---I know some people like it, but it just wasn't for us. It does have great restaurants and some nice resorts, but we didn't like the town atmosphere for walking around.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too would recommend the Riviera Maya area in Mexico.
Are you looking for an all inclusive resort, condo, etc?????
There is so much to do in that area for adults and teens or you can just relax on the beautiful beaches.