Reload this Page >

trying to choose a resort in the Dominican Republic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 1997, 11:33 AM
sally

Hi! My husband and I (late 20's),are planning a vacation to the DR in January 1998, and are trying to decide where to stay. We are trying to decide on one of the following; the Riu Merengue, the Bavaro Beach Resort, the Flamenco Beach Resort, the Hacienda Tropical or the Coral Hamaca. Has anyone had bad expereiences at any of these?
Punta Cana looks appealing because of the white sands and clear waters, is it really more beautiful than the beaches in Puerta Plata? We are looking to keep active with land and water sports, and would like to know also if these are readily available at these resorts. Any first-hand accounts of experiences at any of these resorts would be greatly appreciated!!

Old Oct 11th, 1997, 07:42 PM
Michel

My wife and I spent two wonderful weeks at Hacienda Tropical this year. The resort is located approximately 15 minutes west of Puerto Plata and offers very nice accomodations, several good restaurants and activities such as archery, horseback riding and volleyball (pool and beach). The water is a little rough for snorkeling but you can sign up for either snorkeling or scuba at the on-site dive centre and they will take you to Sosua (about a 35 minute drive). You can also make the most of several excursions which leave from the resort. We spent a day in Santiago (the island's second largest city) and in the mountains. It was great. Puerto Plata itself is not a "pretty" city but certainly worth a visit. If you need more information, don't hesitate to write.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 08:46 PM
Michael Zinck

You will love Punta Cana. My fiance and I went to Bavaro Beach Resort and stayed in the beach complex. We are in the same age group as you and we loved it. We have been to Cuba and Jamica and Bavaro was by far the best. You will love everything about it. The beach is beautiful, the food is great, the watersports are a ball.
We would be more than happy to tell you much more. If you would like to hear more please feel free to e-mail us with any more questions you might have.
Bye for now.

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 08:51 PM
Sue /Andre

Hi Sally, I could not believe my eyes when I read your message. My husband and I are also going to D.R. in January /98 and we were also very anxious to speak with others re: your same questions? Hopefully someone will answer your message and if you could write back to us, it would be greatly appreciated. We were thinking of Flamenco but decided in favour of Merengue. Yes the beaches on the Caribbean are much nicer but we cannot get a direct flight from our city, so Punta Cana is out for us. If you have a choice I would choose Punta Cana. The hotels are also newer.

Sue

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 08:56 PM
Sue

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the hotels are really 5 stars? Has anyone been to the Riu Merengue Hotel in Puerto Plata. How is the food. How is the shopping.

If you have enjoyed another hotel please let me know as well.
Thanks

Old Oct 12th, 1997, 09:55 PM
Sue

Good to see that someone has been on the property that we are hoping to stay at in feb.98. We are looking at the Bavaro Palace specifically. Did you happen to check it out. If so is it really nicer than the others on the property. Do you think we can get ocean front rooms? Any advice regarding Punta Cana? Did you by chance get an 800 number for the resort?
Thanks,
Sue