Search

Trip Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Review

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon in Greanada and I wanted to post a review of our experience.

We stayed at the Calabash hotel and I had a wonderful time, with exception of one incident (which I will discuss later). The hotel staff were very friendly, the service was wonderful and the food....OMG was outrageous. Breakfast was made to order and served every morning on our balcony. There was afternoon tea and then canapes were delivered to the room each night at 6pm. Dinners were fabulous and there was no reason to leave the hotel to try any other restaurants. Although, I have heard there are many nice restaurants on Grenada we didn't venture out. I had everything from Mahi-Mahi to Lamb chops and was never disappointed with my meal.

I truly enjoyed all aspects of the Calabash, the rooms were spacious and very clean. The grounds were nice. I had heard on this board that the beach wasn't that nice due to sea grass and I will agree that the beach is not as nice as Grand Anse beach but it is a lot more private and seculded, which I prefer. We spent nine nights at the Calabash and I would say on a crowded day, there was maybe 25 people on the beach. Also, the locals tend to stay at the other end of the beach from the hotel. We were able to snorkel right from the beach and saw some nice fish.

Unfortunately for us, we didn't leave the hotel area often. We were trying to relax and prepare for our move to Europe in two weeks so we didn't do to many tours and sad to say we didn't even go into St. Georges. This is very unlike us. We did, however, take a rainforest walk with Sunsation Tours to the Seven Sisters waterfalls which was definitely worth the $70US. The falls were refreshing and we were the only group there. My husband did a lot of wreck diving and enjoyed it a lot. He is used to diving in NY so he thought the visibility was wonderful. The Calabash has a dive shop on site so if you are a diver that is a plus.

The incident as mentioned above - Our honeymoon went wonderfully and I honestly thought the only negative thing I would have to say about the whole trip was being stung by a jelly fish - which hurt like h_ll!! But unfortunately on our second to last night we were at dinner at the hotel and two masked men came up from the beach and stole our camera off our table and ran off with it. That wouldn't have been to bad had one of them not had a gun which was waved at us so that his buddy could make off with the loot. I don't care about the camera it was the act of it that bothered me the most and the feeling of being unsafe from that point forward. Also, now we don't have any pictures from our honeymoon. We are happy that nobody was hurt and realized things could have been worse. Also, I have to give praise to the hotel because they credited our account for the cost of the camera and then some. My main reason for posting about the robbery is to remind travellers not to let your guard down just because you are in paradise and to be aware of your surrondings.

Otherwise our vacation was great, the hotel, the other guests, the food and the one tour we did was absolutely wonderful. I wish that I could say that I would go back, but right now, I can't.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 09:54 AM

what a terrible thing to happen, especially on your honeymoon. No photos and a frightening experience. I hope you are viewing this incident in the same way that you wrote your report- concentrate on the good things that happened on your honeymoon.Good luck with your move.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the nice trip report. I'm sorry to hear about your camera being stolen but I wanted to say that I admire your attitude.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:48 PM

I, too, am sorry that your honeymoon was marred by this terrible incident. I've been purse-snatched twice here in the U.S., but I've never been threatened with a gun. How frightening for you. I hope the Grenadian authorities took this incident seriously. Did you file a police report? And, if you did, did the police seem concerned?
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 12:56 PM

I to am sorry for you but you seem to have some wonderful memories and they have not been ruined by the bandits. I feel bad cause I love that Island. I have chosen a cruise simply because it is on the itinerary for the day. I am glad the hotel treated you nicely.
Old Oct 28th, 2003, 05:47 PM

My mom had her digital camera stolen in Italy and she was more upset about the lost photos than the camera...but there was no gun, she didn't know it was stolen until it was gone.

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like you could have done anything different - no? If you hadn't been sitting there at the table (at the hotel restaurant??) you could say you should have watched your stuff or something but it sounds like this was totally unavoidable.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I am happy to report that the Grenadan Police took our complaint very seriously and took statements from many hotel guests that were in the dining room.

I am even happier to report that I received an email today stating that the police have recovered our camera. I have to wait until the supervisor comes on duty to see how and when we can recover it. I am so excited!! I truly believed that we would never see the camera and mainly the pictures again.