Trip Report, St. John (Part 1)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all! I'm doing this in parts, so as not to bore anyone! By the way my shark story will be in part 2 or 3 (u didn't think I would lead w/my best story did ya!) I do want to say up front that my dad & I had a really great time and I absolutely loved St.J!
So here goes: 7/25- We have an easy direct flight from NYC to St Thomas. In the taxi over to Red Hook ferry we meet Peggy, a lovely woman whose son owns the Sweet Plaintain rest. in Coral Bay. We just missed the 1pm ferry & wait an hour in the broiling sun. I was ready to jump into that gorgeous ocean with my clothes on! We arrive on St.J & the comlimentary taxi is waiting to take us to Gallows Point resort.

Our room is spacious & lovely w/stunning views of the ocean & St.T. At this point I'm melting into a puddle of water so we immediately close all the glass window shutters and put the a/c on full blast. As we're cooling off & unpacking, I notice a bright green flash in the corner of my eye. And there he was (not the shark) but a huge lime green lizard sitting in the dining room. Luckily for me, not the lizard, I'm a huge animal lover and I'm not afraid (bees are another story!). I look at lizard and say, "since you're used to 90degree heat and I have the a/c at 60, you may want to slither this way (I'm guiding him towards the patio) before you freeze your tail off!" So here I am, a pushy New Yorker & the female Ace Ventura of the carribean. Of course, he followed me out.

Dad & I were starved so we walked into town and ate a delicious & well-priced lunch at the Beach Bar. The dive shop next door has the sweetest Golden Retriever with a Mohawk haircut, so cute & funny! Back at the resort my dad used the pool (way, way too hot for me) and I snorkelled off the dock which was pretty nice!

Dinner that night at the Fish(tourist)Trap rest. Service was great, greasy food not so great. I'm being cut off so....to be continued......
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:19 PM

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report. That was just a tease! When we were on STJ in June, the pool at GP was 94 degrees. Not in the least bit refreshing. That was when my husband went swimming near the swim platform and he ran into a barracuda. It scared the wits out of him because he wasn't snorkeling. He said it was suddenly just "there".
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM

ooh, lovely. Thanks for writing--you have a very funny prose style.

FYI--even though it's fun to separate parts of a trip report into various posts for Part 1, Part 2, etc, it's actually much better for readers to find all of the parts under one thread. Especially down the road when the various parts aren't jumbled somewhere near each other in the queue, readers can read everything you have to say in one shot rather than doing a search for each part.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Was that lizard perhaps an iguana? They're considered good luck down there. People sometimes try to attract them into the house. I guess it's all because they eat bugs. I'm sure the little fella appreciated being led out before the arrival of the arctic cold front!

The suspense is killing me, waiting for that shark to arrive.

Oh, and I too vote for adding additional parts to the same thread.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

hawksbill, no it wasn't an iguana, it was slightly smaller & soo cute! It really didn't bother me that it was in the room but I really think it would have frozen to death!
I now know how to add additional parts to the same thread.. so I will continue my report on "part 1 cont." I'm verrrrrry technologically-challenged!!